Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Rules for MEM game discussion Options · View
Cohen
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 4:04:32 PM
 1st Lieutenant

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 19000th Post

What do we use?
Aside the usual fairplay things like the SR out of pockets, no exploits of supplies and stuff, and the forbearance of para usage to wipe airbases or divisions, what kind of rules should we use?

Mostly Barbarossa timing, USA war entry, Jap gangbanging SU and so on.

Cohen

"War is a Clash of Will, meant to be brought with maximum violence."
Ederon
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 4:13:39 PM
 Field Major

Cohen wrote:
the forbearance of para usage to wipe airbases or divisions

Why would you want to forbid this? This is one sneaky use of paras/special forces that happened IRL. Why forbidding it? Guard your mission critical airbases.
Fiendix
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 4:21:23 PM
 Pilus prior
One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

IMo dropping on emtpy provinces to kill airplanes is boarderline (ob they could kill some but not all)
dropping on a province so as to kill a whole retreating stack that has even full org is an exploit.
Cohen
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 4:33:53 PM
 1st Lieutenant

Usually airfields have a good CAP, and the planes could still take off before to get wiped out of.
It would be more reasonable then that airfield strike by bombers damages airplanes into the base than a para regiment instantly wipe any amount of squadrons into an airbase.

Cohen

Ederon
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 5:21:32 PM
 Field Major

Well, this can be avoided by guarding airfields as I said and single garrison can do that. Despite I agree that most of planes would be able to start and leave airfield that's being attacked. But it's so easy to prevent such surprises and it just limits one of few uses paras have.
Vissarion
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 5:59:17 PM
 Lieutenant General

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 14000th Post

It is my opinion that leaving an airbase in use unguarded is grounds for punishment, and I find loss of said planes to be fair as such.Hercule Poirot

boing boom tschak, boing boom tschak
peng
boing boom tschak, boing boom tschak
zong
sonofliberty
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 10:42:21 PM
Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

Vissarion wrote:
It is my opinion that leaving an airbase in use unguarded is grounds for punishment, and I find loss of said planes to be fair as such.Hercule Poirot
Agreed.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

There is a new game on the way Project Blitzkrieg
hiensen
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:46:13 AM
 Generalleutnant

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 18000th Post

This airbase stuff is just an example solved by an airbase garrison, but the thing that bring more problems and looks very unrealistic is that a single para can cut off retreat of entire armies full strenght full org.This was showed in many games like a very unbalanced option, I killed myself tons of units in east front with paras and cohen killed mines too with them in last game. Using them properlly need some skills (i.e the enemy retreat timer to cut retreat before their fast units arrive) but doesn't look very realistic.IRL they took a bridge or a village here we talk about entire provs.Encircling units via a real armor flanking need even more skills and is more valuable than a para drop.I don't mention the games i've seen 6 paras taking 6 provs in about 3 hours . LOL
I don't mind keeping paras as a killing spree for east front :-d but for more balance and be fair I agree with cohen that they should be restricted in missions.

As for the rules we can keep using vanilla ones (with few modifications) followed by the mem events.
Cohen
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 5:17:49 PM
 1st Lieutenant

I was checking MEM starting assets, it is normal SU starts with a '43 Repair Tech?

Cohen

cueball
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 8:16:49 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Another thing to consider, regarding para-drops and MEM, is that with substantially less units in the game, scattering forces behind your lines is more difficult to do. Though I agree that a para-drop on an undefended airfield is legitimate in any system, mass execution of retreating forces should be prohibited, on the other hand closing pockets should not. How you would work that out in a functioning, and clear, and undisputable rule is hard to say.

Perhaps just say that a player can not drop airborne into a retreat province.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
Fiendix
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 9:08:12 PM
 Pilus prior

Cohen wrote:
I was checking MEM starting assets, it is normal SU starts with a '43 Repair Tech?

yes - so they can get units back into the fray faster at the start of the game.
SilverBolt
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 3:41:41 AM
 Centurion

Since germany must influence romania and maybe bulgaria to enter alliance a uk or a usa can really send spies and delay like 10 units before war starts to italy/japan cuz they lack money and uk can trade with her free market slaves.
Fiendix
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 9:04:24 AM
 Pilus prior

just to underline:

in mem you must realize that axis and allies MUST buy money (I know all like to build tanks and stuff not spend ic on cash) but all in all germany has enough resources to defend itself and italy plus get the nations you mention into axis. Italy already get 4 off map cash, so do the rest of axis. Selling resources for supplies (or even hording) is a bad idea if you are getting pummeled by enemy spies.
If ally planned the strategy from the start and italy is oblivious to that fact and is not getting more money then all i can say is good planning by allies.
In my current game italy gets more than 9 cash per day and we cant even get in spies long enough to do any damage to the axis.

Next game people will learn and react accordingly. It would be the same if axis pummped zounds of subs and allies forgot to build any convoys or dds. Both sides risk doing something - or not covering that area of risk. If players are intent only to build planes and tanks they cant complain later that somebody used a tactic that they were not prepared for..
Cohen
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 6:00:49 PM
 1st Lieutenant

I agree to the freedom of espionage, even if I'd limit the options before war to be honest.
I mean ... an industrial sabotage if discovered prewar could even be a casus belli overall.

That would also give time to the player to get a proper anti espionage system up.

Cohen