Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Modification Comments -- Danzig (early war) Options · View
cueball
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 1:36:59 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

There has often been discussion about how the Danzig war date is too rigid, and skews game play because it allows all players, especially the Soviet and Allied players the opportunity to prepare for a specific schedule of events, and give the Axis little strategic lattitude. Good arguement for sure, however, it is hard to know how to balance the game outside of this simple rule.

Moreso, it's Hitler's 1938/39 diplomatic offensive (Anschlaus, Munich and the Fall of Czech repulic) that are essential to the German strategic hopes overall, so there are problems in allowing for an early German DOW.

I have put some thoughts into this and hit upon a system that might work, with a little tweaking. Rather than having the main events for Hitler's Diplomatic Offensive tied to their historical date, it might be possible to actually have the German player have some control over triggering the events.

1) Anschlaus with Austria: Anschlaus could occur at the point where Germany has spent enough time influencing Austria that he is in a position to ally it. When he actually gets Austria to ally with Germany the Anschlaus event fires. This would simulate the Nazi coup in Austria.

2) Munich: When the Anschlaus event fires Germany immediatly gets the core provinces for Sudentenland. When the German army outnumbers the Czech army by a margin of 2 to 1, then there is an AI switch for Czechoslovakia that makes it far more suceptible to "Demand Claims". Germany must continue to Demand Claims from Czecholslovakia, until the time that they give in. When Germany owns these provinces the Munich event will fire.

3) Fall of Czech Republic: As part of the Munich agreement, Germany gets the main Czech cores, and again needs to demand them and get them in order to get the Fall of Czech Republic event to fire.

4) Molotov/Ribbentrop will be keyed to fire within the 6 month period after both the Fall of Czechoslovakia and Anschlaus have fired. The German NAP with Poland will then expire, and Germany can DOW Poland or the Allies as it likes.

Basically, if Germany wants to rush the war, they can spend a lot of money influencing and demanding, while they can prolong the lead up to the war, simply by refusing to make the necessary demands. Either way, no side could predict precisely what period the war would begin.

Possibly the conditions could be set so that the war could start between August 1938 and August 1940.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
hiensen
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 1:42:51 AM
 Generalleutnant

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 18000th Post

Well it need to be tested in multiplayer but the idea sounds good and can bring some change than those strict events.
cueball
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 1:46:04 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

I actually got the later part, Munich, Fall of Czech and a Polish DOW all to fire hands off with the ai controlling Germany.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
GeneralSherman
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 3:12:38 AM
 2nd Lieutenant
One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

I think it's a great basic idea and one that can be made to work. I don't agree completely with the exact triggers and procedure, necessarily, but for the most part, yes.

I don't believe Germany had twice as many divisions as Czech at the time of Munich. There was a lot of discussion that given the size of the Czech army and the fortifications they had built that Germany could have some real trouble if CZE chose to fight, and if the French chose to invade, the Germans probably would lose. And Germany occupied those provinces AFTER the Munich conference, not before. So, I think it would be best to come up with a trigger other than Germany owning them. For the second part, the ownership is a better trigger, because it pretty much sums up what was done to Czechoslovakia.

And even Mol-Rib can be predicated on actions of Germany and USSR. Maybe they have to have their relations with eaqch other above a certain level, to reflect the intense discussions that took place. Once CZE falls and the relations hit the trigger point, Mol-Rib happens. I also think the reactions of the world should be different, and their be some other effects.

For example, maybe raise Soviet GDE part of the way to normal at game start, or even all the way, then at the purge, lower it by most of the difference in the current scenario. (We need to make sure ussr is restrained prior to this). Then, at Mol-Rib, greatly increase Germany's chance of surprise vis-a-vis USSR. Have this last for a certain period of time after war. This reflects Stalin's complacency and disbelief that Germany would attack.

I like this way of thinking.
cueball
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 3:58:40 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Well I'd considered doing something with Molotov Ribbentrop around relations and based on the Military and Industrial co-operation with the USSR event train, but it makes sense, but its very hard to make things totally opened ended without really screwing up the events system for the whole game, so that is a step by step thing, and not throwing the whole game balance out of wack. If we deliver back control of the response and the timing of M/R to the Soviets, I can see numerous ways that it might be exploited by a clever player, and as importantly a huge number of events, both ai and otherwise are calibrated to this event happening in one way or another.

So, that is a good idea and the right approach, in my view, but difficult to do without possible serious distortions to the playability of the game.

As for the sequence of events for Munich etc. All that is really happening is that the Germans make their demand, then the event pops. They don't even really occupy them, just get ownership and then move in if they like. To me, using the demand function is the "natural" game engine system for doing things like Munich, just like it is with the Baltic countries for the SU. It costs money, it requires effort on behalf of the player, and most importantly it is triggered by the players actions not by an artificial event, that must be pre-programmed. There is no way for a player to trigger and event, outside of the cheat codes in SP, something must happen that an event trigger can be based on, except these diplomatic functions.

I think this is really a symbolic problem, mostly.

The only other way I can think of for giving more player control of this event would be making it "persistent" events monthly or such, and this would be irritating and I think deliver too much control to the German player. I think it is best that Germany only has some control over the general time-line, not precise control. As you pointed out the other day, Hitler really wanted to invade Poland a week earliers than they did, but diplomatic initiatives by the British delayed the German plans.

So, this way the player pursues an activity, and also pays for it, as part of an extended series of demands, which then when it succeeds the event singnaling the conclusion of the negotiations trigger the "event". The German player is negotiating over along period of time. The Sudentanland demand was actually a process that took many months of propoganda and negotiations to take place.

The event is really just an historical announcement that the final Munich negotiation has happened. It then makes certain changes to relations, and other areas of the game to reflect the success of the demand, which is now handled not by an event, but by a player using the built in game functions. I think it may have even been intended to work this way, but rather than fine tuning all the ai's to do this kind of thing and respond on a semi-historical path was just too much of a bother, so they just wrote a timeline for the game to follow.

So, in the short run if I am going to do anything like this, it will really just be the 2 events dealing with Czechoslovakia, the timing of M/R and a loose DOW date for Germany. That is a fair amount already.

Sir Winston -- 1937
GeneralSherman
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:21:50 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

Having looked at the diplomatic offensive events, I have some concern for what is going to happen when players get this game in hand.

The problematic part for me is the land_percentage trigger. Assuming that it simply counts numbers of divisions and doesn't make a fighting power calculation, I'm not sure Germany is going to be able to make the diplomatic offensive events fire, and I'm even less sure he is going to want to even if he can.

The first one requires Germany to have at least as many divisions as France, and 1.5 times as many as UK. At the start of the scenario Germany's ratios are 40/48 with France and 40/35 with UK. The second one requires Germany to have 1.5 times as many as France and 2.0 as UK.

France players typically throw a couple serials of infantry online at the start of the game. Assuming that they can make (with gearing) 6 rounds per year, by the time September 30, 1938 rolls around, the typical France player will have added approximately 30 divisions to his total. That means Germany will have to have made 38 divisions to get the first diplomatic offensive event to fire.

For the second diplomatic offensive event, by the time March 15, 1939 rolls around, France will have added, say, 36 divisions. France will have 84 divisions. From what I have seen French players do, they could easily have over 90 divisions. Frequently, when I play against a human France, the French will always have more divisions than I have. If Germany is going to make the second DO fire, he is going to have to have something like 130 divisions.

In order to make these events run versus a France player who arms normally, Germany is going to have to either start building early, and build a lot of 1936 divisions, or stop building IC after two runs and put virtually all his ic into building 1939 infantry. That means an underdeveloped air force and probably very little if any armor. The first solution also means less ic (less ic is not necessarily a bad thing for the game, except that USSR is still going to be building IC like crazy, so the Germany-USSR disparity becomes a concern), but it also means an exacerbation of Germany's upgrade issue. Upgrading remains problematic for Germany in this mod, and is still disproportionately in favor of Allies.

If Germany has to not build IC, build obsolete units and supply them for an extra long period of time, just to get events that give a few ic but also give France and UK 20% additional IC, does he want to do that? If I'm Germany, maybe it benefits me to forget those events, and just cram out IC for three or maybe even four runs, then do the late rush of building and just get those events to fire at the very last minute. The way this operates may actually encourage MORE German IC building, not less. (Not to mention that having to demand territory means he needs more money, so more IC taken away from building)

Germany may actually wind up with more IC by building IC and foregoing these events than by making them happen. Maybe instead of tying it to Germany's ratio vis-a-vis Allies, you can use numbers of divisions for Germany. Germany starts with 40 divisions. Maybe have the first DO require 50, and the second require 60. Or change the ratios. Reduce them to reflect the reality that quite often Germany fights France at a numerical disadvantage (virtually every time I've gone against a human france, I've had fewer divisions).

This is also another opportunity to push for reducing the cost of upgrades, and the slider moves I recommended that would reduce the Allies advantage in upgrade cost. If Germany has to build early, and build a lot of 36 inf and lt armor, the upgrade cost is going to punish him even more.

Definitely needs testing.
cueball
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:57:09 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

I think its just going to rock. All those problematic questions are all now going to be made by the players. I think that is the point. Maybe a tweak here and a tweak there, but it'll be great.

I still don't understand how your arguement that charging the Allies more to upgrade their at start 1918 infantry, or serials of level 1 tanks, works, when Germany builds almost everything they need for the war NEW and already upgraded in 1939/40 after building IC, while the at start 1936 army is a generation ahead of the Allies. I think it may skew toward the Allies in later war when Germany does want to upgrade, but that is later, at the time when the main enemy, Russia, faces the same malus.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 5:24:35 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

So the question is how best to deal with the question of France pushing the manufacture of its army.

In considering this, it seems to me that possibly we are losing a dynamic here if we don't allow France to play ahistorically and rearm early, and thus act to push off the diplomatic offensive. It seemed to me that would be an intersting thing all on its own. But if one did want to do this one could make French manpower just add large manpower gains to France in its gearing events, starting off by say taking away 300 MP from their at start Manpower Pool, and then adding 100 to the Munich gearing, and another 200 at the Fall of Czechoslovakia. This would be more historical.

But in my consideration of this problem, at least in the conception of the event train, is that there is a hidden trap in France building early in order to push off the Diplomatic Offensive dates, and this is simply that if France builds early, and Germany builds late, say even waiting for late 1939 to start building its army, after they have built a 3rd run of IC, the large and supply cost heavy French army stocked full of 1936/39 infantry might very easily be overun by a German army equipped with a very strong contingent of later model equpiment, on its way to teching 1941.

In this scenario France and UK are spending, without large gearing bonuses they normally have in 1939, and Germany is building its long term economic base for the war with Russoa.

In my mind this equation might be enough to dissuade France from choosing the route of eary rearmament, rather than encouraging it, and best play for France actually might be waiting until first diplomatic offensive has fired before doing their big build. By the way, my experience with playing France in this mod was that it was difficult to both upgrade the existing army and to build a substantial number of newer units. This meant that the French army essentially consisted of a new group of 1939 generation units, and a large group of infantry in the form of a 1936 establishment, if I had built nothing at all I could have upgraded the existing army up from 1918, or so it seemed to me.

If for example, Germany found that they could not fire the event in 1938, by December, could they not simply abandon unit production, and then build another row of IC and set themselves up to start in early 1940 instead? This would leave France and England dangling for a whole year and paying for their massive armies too boot.

I think you are probably right though that the gap in the trigger integer between the Munich Diplomatic offensive date and the FOC event might be too large, but I think triggering around the time Germany reaches parity with the French forces is about right for Munich.

All in all I think it has to be explored, because I really don't know.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 9:21:12 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Yes, I have looked at this some more, and your point about the build for France is right on, so the second factor should be reduced I think, unless we are going to find a way to cut back on early french unit production. Even if we set French MP to zero and add more later, it should be able to start producing units relatively soon, so perhaps a combination of both adjustments, a reduction of French Manpower at start, and making the second event go off after the German army is 1.2 time as big as the French army. Not at all hard to achieve in the "historical" time frame, even if France has 100 units.

It think that if France reaill commits to the project of delaying Danzig by pumping out militia and so on and so forth, they are really doing so much harm to themselves in the long run that it is really not worth it. Danzig will be delayed, sure, but Germany will roll France so fast when the time comes, and it will be so easy that it will not have advantaged the Allies at all. I think that is the balance we should be looking at, anyway.

Sir Winston -- 1937
GeneralSherman
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 10:12:35 AM
 2nd Lieutenant

I think the basic concept and mechanism you've created here is great and it will make the pre-war period more dynamic. I just have a philosophical objection to the early allied rearming and aggressive foreign policy because it is so ahistorical. It is completely unrealistic national behavior for them. I don't want to force players to be completely historical, but if we are playing a WW2 game, does it fit to allow players to act in ways that their nation simply would not or could not have acted irl? I scowl whenever I know USA has been giving massive aid to USSR prior to Barbarossa for the same reason. For that matter, Germany didn't fully mobilize until after Stalingrad because Hitler wanted to keep his population fat and happy due to his belief in the "stab in the back" myth.

France and UK simply could not politically act the way their players always act. Heck, even after Poland was invaded, they didn't really respond. They did not take advantage of the time to mobilize. They sat there. It was weird. France was completely paralyzed at the top. If a leadership had wanted to be aggressive and interventionist and massively build up, it would have dealt with massive political turmoil. (Same with the USA before Pearl Harbor.... some rearming, but not much).

In your mod, the issue is compounded by the upgrade cost, as you want to make sure you don't force Germany to have to start building infantry before he gets 39 inf tech.

My other concern is to wonder when Germany is going to build its air and armor. I don't know. I am looking forward to seeing how some builds play out.

Maybe as I suggested, rather than comparing to Allies strength, just require some base numnbers for Germany. At least 70 divisions for Munich and 85 for EOC, perhaps. Or a couple of possibilities, with one having a large number of land divisions, and the other having a lower number of land but a number of air divisions, so that a German can build up his air force or his army heavily early. Don't force all infantry builds. Have the numbers require some infantry building along with the air.

I think we have to allow Germany to spend two years on IC, because Russia is over there pumping out IC for at least three and most likely five years.

Another idea is to get rid of the factory production altogether. But that's probably too revolutionary for the player base.
cueball
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:18:22 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner.

I see where you are coming from, and understand the historical point you are making, on the other hand the alternate history of Allies being intransegent diplomatically, is the classic "what if" of the discourse that revolves around the pre-war years, and very much so around Munich. In terms of gaming, I think the issue here in giving the Allies some lattitude in forcing the date back is useful for a few reasons:

Quote:
1) In all likelyhood, if Germany simply has to build X number of divisions then he will always try and arrange to make a DOW in spring/Mid-summer 1939, and the Allies will have no way of preventing it. A quick turnaround in Poland and France with a campaign in ths SU in 1940. This will almost certainly be best play for a number of reasons, most of which are obvious. On the other hand, early Allied building and diplomatic efforts should be able to influence the situation so that Germany is looking at something more or less that follows the historical timeline, while the Allied can only really force the date back beyond the historical timeline with an effort that damages their prospects of victory in the long haul.

That is to me the balance we should be trying to achieve. War, +/- 6 months from the historical date, with the occassional very early or very late DOW, in the form of an experiment or gambit.

2) We are creating an interactive dynamic between the players not simply putting Germany in the drivers seat. By putting Germany in the drivers seat solely, we merely replicate the problem of the vanilla model but even worse. Germany will absolutely be able to predict the DOW date within the space of a few month, and the Allies will have no idea. Perdictability is the major issue with the set DOW date, and it strikes me as unbalancing to allow Germany not only predictability but also lattitude, while not affording any influence over this to the Allies.

3) In a sytem where it is the combined acts between the two contestants we are creating a mutuality of interaction that eventually reaches criical mass. This helps to ensure that neither side can predict precisely the date that war will be able to comenced, but on the other hand ensuring that neither side is caught entirely with their pants down.

So rather than allowing mutual predictablity, we are ensuring a modicum of unpredictability that effects both side, while at the same time preserving some kind of balance of forces between both sides.

One could say that Germany ultimately determined when it would go to war, but the timing of this event was definitely influenced by the actions of the Allies, and Munich itself is a perfect example of this, because in fact, by agreeing to Munich Chamerblain forstalled war for an entire year. Now perhaps using the relative balance of military power as a system for recreating the flavour of this dynamic is not the most historical approach, but on the other hand, it is relatively simple mechanism in game terms for creating an interactive dynamic of a similar kind.

Moreso, it does reflect one very important dynamic which is inherent in the Munich issue, which is that Hitler would never have made his demand, if he did not feel that the Wermacht was capable both of over running Czechoslovakia, and defending the Westwall from a potential Allied invasion.

Sir Winston -- 1937
TheWretchedMass
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:22:54 AM
 Major

Excellent
cueball
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:46:30 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Note also that Germany would be able to DOW Czechslovakia if things were not moving along on schedule after the Diplomatic offensive event fired, at least in the tentative rules that I have proposed. The fall of Czech event would fire when the main Czech section of the country was siezed by the Germans either when successfully "demanded" or captured by force.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 11:11:05 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

goerings Delay Spetmeber 22nd

Sir Winston -- 1937
GeneralSherman
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:13:36 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

Italy and Germany formed the Axis in November 1936.
cueball
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:17:48 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Sir Winston -- 1937