Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Victory conditions Options · View
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:23:54 AM
 Field Major

I think it's plain naive to consider assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand as real cause of war. It was not cause, but excuse for war.
sonofliberty
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:26:22 AM
Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

Again I believe there were other causes not directly attributable. Though I can say with confidence that the treaty of versailles caused ww2.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

There is a new game on the way Project Blitzkrieg
Anders
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:53:33 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Austria, being one of the most backwards countries in western and central Europe at the time, wanted to block Serbia from influencing Bosnia. The assassination of the Archduke merely gave them the excuse they needed to try to beat Serbia into submission. But since almost all of Europe was tied up in alliances, this led to the Great War. And since Germany and Austria weren't able to knock Russia out of the war quickly (due to Russia mobilizing much faster than expected), this led to a war of attrition which Germany lost.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
sonofliberty
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:57:03 AM
Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

Anders wrote:
Austria, being one of the most backwards countries in western and central Europe at the time, wanted to block Serbia from influencing Bosnia. The assassination of the Archduke merely gave them the excuse they needed to try to beat Serbia into submission. But since almost all of Europe was tied up in alliances, this led to the Great War. And since Germany and Austria weren't able to knock Russia out of the war quickly (due to Russia mobilizing much faster than expected), this led to a war of attrition which Germany lost.
I have other theories.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Ederon
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:04:30 AM
 Field Major

sonofliberty wrote:
I have other theories.

I suggest we discuss this topic in off-topic secion. Let this be tied to game, not history debates. (just trying some mederation Tongue)
Anders
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:16:06 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

I posted before I saw Ed's post.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:18:50 AM
 Field Major

Anders wrote:
I posted before I saw Ed's post.

So here we can continue history debate on topic of WWI cause/backgrounds.
sonofliberty
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:19:50 AM
Free Man

Lord Ederon wrote:
So here we can continue history debate on topic of WWI cause/backgrounds.
So noted, I didn't start one because I wasn't sure of the level of interest.