Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

EIR II (2009) Main Changes Options · View
cueball
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:22:27 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Well, the whole thing is that the main way to effect spy missions is to change their cost. My MEM experience was that it was fairly easy to flood Axis countries with spies, and also fairly easy to get a few spy mission to work. I really haven't seen a lot of spy activity in EIR games, so I am not sure if there is an issue. I have seen more of it is the MEM games I have played. But maybe that is just the nature of the EIR players.

Also the MEM system is balanced against the money ratios set up for MEM so, simply copying it, might not work. Once you adjust one thing, all others have to be adjusted, how much income a nation makes, what are the global money modifiers and so on and so forth, all of which end up impacting how much money a country has available for other diplomatic activity, such as influence, which is pretty important. Even if one were going to just make spies spy, this would mean increasing the cost of "counter intelligence" missions, and this in turn would mean that Germany, if it wanted to keep its spy count low, would have less money to spend on influence. One has to ask if this would be a good thing?

If you wanted to make spies harder to kill, and also wanted spy missions to work, I think it would take a fair amount of work. For one thing the AI countries already do not do a good enough job killing spies, which would make countries like ai USA very vulnerable. Also ai China, of the important nations.

My point is that it is not a simple formula, since all countries have different needs financially speaking.

It would be nice if spies were a little harder to kill I suppose, but I am not at all sure that eliminating spy missions is the right thing to do. They might be adjusted, but I think just making spies, spy, might not be a good idea. I don't really have a problem with Sabotage Industry, Steel BP, or Smear Campaign, quite frankly, I think they add flavour to the game.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
TheWretchedMass
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:47:44 PM
 Major

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

MEMs spy system is pretty good I think, I had alot of fun as soviet union spamming with spys and it added an extra element to the game.
cueball
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:51:12 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Yes, and the MEM system also has effective missions.

My point is that balancing it all with the other financial system of the game is a little bit more complex than simply copying the relevant changes to spy costs. Not that changing it might not be a good idea, just that changing it to something similar to MEM is more than just copying it over.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
durruti
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:22:58 AM
 Centurion

personally i wish that missions were blacked out costing 1 zillion dollars. But maybe that's just cos i always forget the intelligence tab LOL
cueball
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:34:36 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Quote:
Mobilization:

Added two lines of "Mobilization Techs", one for democracies, and one for authoritarian regiems. These techs can be researched once a country is at war. Only China and Japan are excluded from getting these techs, because they are considered to be fully mobilized when the game begins.

These will be available as "secret weapons", and will be found in that tech tree.

So I have set up a prototype of this system. It is not entirely complete, and possibly could use some adjustment. Unfortunately because they have to be categorized as "Secret Weapons" tech, I have had to include them in the Secret Weapons tech interface. I spent a lot of time trying to make it work in the infantry interface, but to no avail. Regardless, if anyone wants to see what they look like they will have to play a major through until 1938, and then declare war on someone and wait for a few months, and the new techs will appear. They will not work in any of the later scenarios, yet.

People who are clever with editing, can just find the relevant events at the end of the "Secret_Weapons_events.txt" file and hash (#) the year condition from the events, and start in 36 and then DOW immediatly, the techs would then be available sooner.

In anycase you can look at the basic set up just by referencing them in the Secret Weapons interface, which will give you the general idea.

EIR -- 2009 -- YOAA

Sir Winston -- 1937
SilverBolt
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:17:03 PM
 Centurion

download isnt working,...
durruti
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:23:59 PM
 Centurion

I have and idea connected to a mobilization tech system. It's an alternative way of looking at manpower quality. The mobilization techs could be the prerequisite for some kind of second class manpower units, these units would be very cheap in manpower. They could stand somewhere between a milita and a regular inf unit. Currently, at least in MEM and vanilla, nobody ever builds militia. These units could be an alternative and for instance represent what USSR threw out during the first months of barbarossa, or a volksturm unit.
hiensen
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:33:00 PM
 Generalleutnant

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 18000th Post

durruti wrote:
I have and idea connected to a mobilization tech system. It's an alternative way of looking at manpower quality. The mobilization techs could be the prerequisite for some kind of second class manpower units, these units would be very cheap in manpower. They could stand somewhere between a milita and a regular inf unit. Currently, at least in MEM and vanilla, nobody ever builds militia. These units could be an alternative and for instance represent what USSR threw out during the first months of barbarossa, or a volksturm unit.

There's such kind of units in the WIF mod.
cueball
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:35:35 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

It is a good idea. My guess is that the militia unit is unavailable there. I'll have to take a look at what Fernando did there.

Yes the link isnt working now. Guess they are doing maintenance or something. Media fire has been GREAT Thumbs Up so far. I disnconnected that link, and will create a new one later because I made a few changes.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:22:19 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Links should be working now.

Oh, another way to activate the Mobilization Tech trees would be to use the f12 cheat in SP, and then fire event 8003 and 8004, so that you can look at them better.

Sir Winston -- 1937
SilverBolt
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:37:54 PM
 Centurion

Since Motorized 39 is the same as infantry 39 only differences are +3 speed and +90 softness -18 morale but motor costs double as much as infantry shouldnt price be lowered? I always thought that motorized are a sort of combined mobile groups such as tanks and halftracks much better than regular infantry but not as panzer divisions not just infantry on trucks or donkeys.My opinion is that making motors now are not feasible at all mostly because of their big cost/low stats and most important i think comsumtion half the oil of a panzer division 3.5 and are not even close to the true potential of a panza for manpower countries to make such as ussr/germany/italy.And i used to luv a panzerkorps with motorized in puts alot of flavour in the game.

"German organizations have consistently shown a trend toward conversion of infantry divisions into motorized infantry divisions (Panzer Grenadier Divisions) which in turn have been converted into armored divisions (Panzer Divisions). The German motorized infantry division represents a definite step in the direction of the armored division as shown by its organization"

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/panzer-grenadier-division.html

Also intel part of the game should be taken into consideration.Germany barely has enough money to influence italy to full cp and influ bulgaria/hungary ( because slovakia gives u a panza division and some important blueprints) and it shouldnt have enough money if UK trades money from her slaves and US and A and floods germany with spies.Last game i could only have enough money to start influencing italy in end 38 and i that was because UK stopped flooding during end of 37 or so altho i traded all the money could find.Also USSR has tons of money from dissent deletion and if he went on a intel campaign then it wouldve gotten nasty.Influence cost should be lowered a bit.So italy having CP from feb-jan 37 or 2 years later matter alot...

cueball
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 9:44:02 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Units in HOI II, are not natiion specific. They do not conform to the standards set by anyone power, nor are they set up so that they can be made individual to each country. Divisions therefore, are really just generalized expressions of IC spent, expressed as production.

While I see your point about the evolution of the motorized unit in the German army, the fact is that for the great majority of other nations fighting in the war, Motorized units were merely infantry mounted on trucks, more or less conforming to the type the Germans first fielded in 1939. The reason that the Germans, unlike the British, Americans, and Russians, did not simillarly mount their infantry on trucks in large quantities, is because they did not have the production capacity to build that many trucks, as well as half tracks, tanks armoured cars, tanks and so, and so all available new production of mechanized equipment was sent to the elite mobile divisions.

I view the basic OBB of the these divisions like this: Tank Division = 2 Tank Regiments, and one Motorized support infantry regiment; Mechanized = 1 Tank regiment and 2 Mechanized (half tracks and so on). Some mixture like that was pretty standard for all armies by 1941. Motorized are infantry mounted on trucks.

To be more generally accurate to the standard of units available, it would actually make sense for infantry to upgrade to Motorized infantry with the 1943 model.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:47:30 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Ok, so I think I have the Mobilization tech tree system pretty much nailed. Instead of two tech trees, I added three, one for Democracies, one for Fascist nations, and one for the Communist nations. Most of these techs will only be available to major countries. Pre-war mobilization is available to all.

All countries must first study "Pre-war Mobilization" as prerequisites for their specific ideological tech trees, which become available after they are at war. Here is what "Pre-war" mobilization looks like:

In the following thumbnails you can look at more details:

Tech Tree and a couple of techs

Most of the Soviet system.

This still needs a few more additions to it before its ready. Fic some names and so on, but I should have done that by tomorrow, but in the meantime here is a patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?2rmwobmz4g1

Again, this is totally experimental and I have no idea what it will do to balance.

Sir Winston -- 1937
SilverBolt
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 3:04:52 PM
 Centurion

I guess that aslong as Numbers stay the same as in last version on the east front everything should be ok.250 vs 400 is more than resonable.

Edit: where exactly can i find ur events in hoi folder? so if i understood corectly there are 3 events each giving a +10 mp boost?
SilverBolt
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 3:54:38 PM
 Centurion

Well i check them lo pretty funny for ussr penal rehab political criminal etc straight from the gulags LOOOL.

Altho all that draft moves gonna have no effect on uk/ussr because they already at full draft or usa while it will only shriken the gap between axis organization(which should be higher) and ussr/uk organization and that a bad thing considering past version with the eir combat engine.German units will have 16 less organization than it had in other version at the start of barbarrosa than previous version and thats is very bad.
So germany would need less draft moves or sumthing like more organization minister(schacht any1? =P).Also that applies for japan, italy too.

Upgrading anything with germany,italy,japan gonna be a truly pain in the ass more than it was other version cuz of so many drafts and i would like the upgrading part for axis to stay on just for more flavour.39 infnatry on east front...meh not such a idea good at all.Previous version couldve enabled the german palyer to make motorized units from danzing cuz he gets blueprnt for motor 41 from czech but since motors have been nerfed and cost too much and oil not much point in making them.
So while u could upgrade last version now u cant as germany and u go with 39 inf vs soviet...Would like to get some blueprints for germany for tank IV...i heard that hitler first made one in 37? Then there are other axis countries
pft lol.

Allies draft events considering axis position would also need more dissent.

And the restructuring stuff tech on the right give draft moves lol.USA/USSR/UK will be the only ones researching it for 150 manpower.I mean who would move 1 draft for 150 manpower which as germany u get in 100 days? lol...
My opinion: im not going to play axis xD

cueball
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:47:16 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Thanks for the comments. Not sure what it all means though.

For one thing Japan and NAT China are excluded from this, since they are considered fully mobilized at start. You should remember that this is designed to go in relationship to the changes to the relative manpower malus effecting Allies from start, where the Allies are producing manpower at a rate of 50 to 70 % less than normal, before the war.

The way it is set up, roughly, is that the lack of manpower that the Allies have before the war will be compensated by having more MP after war starts. Most of this comes in event driven gearing bonuses, but in order to get up to the level of troops that they could be expected to have in a normal game by 1941/42 they would have to institute their drafts, which would give them dissent, and impact their professional army bonuses, and more importantly their ability to upgrade efficiently.

Germany and USSR would more or less be the same as they are now. And these measures, are really meant to be used when Germany or USSR get into manpower trouble, so if Germany is really suffering in 1942, he can opt to bring in the Levy's as they started to do in 1943/44. If I were Germany I would just do pre-war mobilization, and skip the rest, until I got into trouble, so it should have very little impact on Germanies upgrade ability at all.
SilverBolt wrote:

And the restructuring stuff tech on the right give draft moves lol.USA/USSR/UK will be the only ones researching it for 150 manpower.I mean who would move 1 draft for 150 manpower which as germany u get in 100 days? lol...
My opinion: im not going to play axis xD

The only the first two mobilization events give +10%, the later ones give less. Each of the drafts only increases MP by 5%. Also UK/USA don't get any direct MP boosts, and can not research the Totale Krieg tech tree -- they only get the drafts.

So, what you are saying is about right. The Allies would be the only ones who should find doing this research necessary, unless the Axis are in MP trouble, which is the idea.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:58:38 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

This whole set up is so radical, I really don't think anyone could make any predictions about what it will do.

Sir Winston -- 1937
SilverBolt
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:04:09 PM
 Centurion

cueball wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Not sure what it all means though.

For one thing Japan and NAT China are excluded from this, since they are considered fully mobilized at start. You should remember that this is designed to go in relationship to the changes to the relative manpower malus effecting Allies from start, where the Allies are producing manpower at a rate of 50 to 70 % less than normal, before the war.

The way it is set up, roughly, is that the lack of manpower that the Allies have before the war will be compensated by having more MP after war starts. Most of this comes in event driven gearing bonuses, but in order to get up to the level of troops that they could be expected to have in a normal game by 1941/42 they would have to institute their drafts, which would give them dissent, and impact their professional army bonuses, and more importantly their ability to upgrade efficiently.

Germany and USSR would more or less be the same as they are now. And these measures, are really meant to be used when Germany or USSR get into manpower trouble, so if Germany is really suffering in 1942, he can opt to bring in the Levy's as they started to do in 1943/44. If I were Germany I would just do pre-war mobilization, and skip the rest, until I got into trouble, so it should have very little impact on Germanies upgrade ability at all.

The only the first two mobilization events give +10%, the later ones give less. Each of the drafts only increases MP by 5%. Also UK/USA don't get any direct MP boosts, and can not research the Totale Krieg tech tree.

Wicked lets play test maybe? i want japan/italy.
cueball
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:08:56 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

I can't tonight, but I could tomorrow anytime after 19:00 CET.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 12:09:36 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Quite a few small fixes to be made. Especially to names and so on and so forth, but I think this version is about ready to go. The new Checksum is UMPP, and the full patch is available in my signature or here EIR II -- 2009 -- UMPP.rar .

Sir Winston -- 1937
durruti
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 2:20:42 PM
 Centurion

I'm very happy something like this is being tried out. I'll watch with great interest for the results.
And those tech designs are so cool. Thumbs Up
cueball
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:57:05 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Thanks.

It is actually getting pretty easy to set up those techs based on the Paradox Templates. So fast, you will certainly see where I have allowed graphical errors. But, I was in a rush.

I hardly think this is going to be definiative, in terms of a set up for the MP in this mod, but with a mobilization tech system, set up like this it will be so much easier to do Manpower balancing in the future, now that the system is in place.

Sir Winston -- 1937
cueball
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:16:16 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Semi-mechanized Motorized divisions

Another idea that came up (Nostra) was the creation of an earlier version of the Mechanized unit for 1939. This would be a prototype of the later versions, which would have the same hardness as motorized infantry. It would be more expensive, but have the ability to upgrade to the better mechanized units later on.

This would conform to the German historical unit development, where motorized divisions were later equipped AFV transports and Armoured cars, as Waffen was talking about.

Still thinking about how to do this without making pure motorized useless, since Allies might take advantage of this, and not build motos at all.

China Events system

Updating the China event system so that the Japanese player should be able to accept AI generated surrender events, without undermining the game.

Sir Winston -- 1937
SilverBolt
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:34:49 AM
 Centurion

cueball wrote:
Semi-mechanized Motorized divisions

Another idea that came up (Nostra) was the creation of an earlier version of the Mechanized unit for 1939. This would be a prototype of the later versions, which would have the same hardness as motorized infantry. It would be more expensive, but have the ability to upgrade to the better mechanized units later on.

This would conform to the German historical unit development, where motorized divisions were later equipped AFV transports and Armoured cars, as Waffen was talking about.

Still thinking about how to do this without making pure motorized useless, since Allies might take advantage of this, and not build motos at all.

China Events system

Updating the China event system so that the Japanese player should be able to accept AI generated surrender events, without undermining the game.

Give germany blueprint for the mechs....and upgrading wont work cuz of germany having too many drafts (?)
cueball
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:01:38 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Again, German MP is not nerfed, so they don't need the Mobilization techs, except when they are really low on MP. This way its Germany's choice if it wants to keep its professional army sliders, or build a larger army than normal, at the cost of having slower upgrades. That is their choice.

The Allies pre-war MP is nerfed. The Allies need the drafts to compensate for the MP they are not getting in the pre-war years, in order to be able to mobilize a normal-sized army quickly after war starts. As well, the fact that the Allies will need this extra MP from the mobilization techs will cause them shifts in their Professional Army sliders, and effect their fast upgrades.

Allies could, I guess, decide to have a smaller army that upgrades fast, but that would also be a choice.

Sir Winston -- 1937