Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The Greatest Blunder in British History Options · View
cueball
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 11:40:56 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Here is a good one for you revisionist historians: Chamberlain not "appeaser" but "the archangel of war".

The Greatest Blunder in British History

Quote:
Britain did not object to Danzig being returned to Germany, knowing that a plebiscite would result in an overwhelming vote in favor of return. Lord Halifax, the British foreign secretary, deemed Danzig and the Polish Corridor to be “an absurdity.” Hitler wanted an alliance with Poland, not war. He issued a directive to his army commander in chief: “The Fuehrer does not wish to solve the Danzig question by force. He does not wish to drive Poland into the arms of Britain by this.”

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
Anders
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 2:48:26 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Quote:
Yet, Britain was willing to go to war rather than allow Germany to dominate Europe economically, unaffected by a British blockade.

Yes, perfect sense that. It was for pretty much the same reason FDR did everything but declare war on Germany before the Japanese "sneak attack" (which, according to popular belief, FDR knew was coming and did nothing to avert).

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Stalins Elite
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:04:55 PM
 Pilus prior

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

WW1 started because Germany attacked Belgium. Why did Britain and France declare war on Germany, because like in WW2, Germany was starting to surpass both the British and French as the worlds leading military and economic superpower. The London treaty if IIRC it was called was a treaty signed by major powers in Europe recognizing the independance of the Belgian state, it was nearly a century old treaty that next to none of the major powers of Europe even remembered let alone cared about. It was simply cooked up by the British and French to justify they're going to war against Germany. Look at modern times, the USA has been the worlds leading economic and military superpower for several decades now and look at the amount of influence they have around the world. In an age were colonialism was still very much alive, Britain nor France could afford to have Germany being capable of that amount of influence especially when they themselves were still exhausted from the 1914-18 great war, while trying to tackle ever present internal strife within they're colonial possesions and at home. So we need a casus bellius for war with Germany, oh Germany is trying to get a peaceful resolve with Poland to get a piece of they're land back. From what the article said, Poland was in the hands of just an unstable nut job as what Germany was, so let's put the fate of Europe and the world in the hands of a bunch of whacko's and hope they'll play nice. I think that Chamberlain, more Britain and France wanted another war with Germany as Germany again was starting to dwarf the economies of the two as they had done before the great war. Poland was simply the excuse for that war just as Belgium was at the outbreak of WW1. Guess what the end resolve was. Germany is still today one of the most powerful economic countries in Europe, and as the article said. Britain making the east safe for Stalinism, Communist China is now the worlds economic superpower. So what exactly did WW2 acheive... SE.

Admiral Kutzenov - The Cold War lives.

Anders
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 5:30:54 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Stalins Elite wrote:
WW1 started because Germany attacked Belgium.
And here I thought it had to do with the Austrian attack on Serbia and the secret treaties between Britain and Russia...

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Forgiven
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 5:48:51 PM
 Pilus prior

Somehow this reminded me of the...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUOkGxGUVs

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Stalins Elite
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 6:07:41 PM
 Pilus prior

Anders wrote:
And here I thought it had to do with the Austrian attack on Serbia and the secret treaties between Britain and Russia...

To an extent that was part of it. The basic break down was the Archduke is assasinated, Austria declares war on Serbia. Russia has a defense pact with Serbia so declares war on Austria. Germany has a defense pact with Austria so mobilises and declares war on Russia and Serbia. Somewhere along the way Belgium get's attacked and due to some century old treaty France and England now have a cassus bellius for war against Germany. There was more involved to the build up to war on the western front then what has been stated here, it's was a series of provacations and counter provacations. Britain and France wanted war, but they needed to portray themselves as the good guys. What better way to do that then simply say we're coming to the aide of poor little Belgium and honouring a treaty that was no longer worth the piece of parchment it was originally written on. If it hadn't been for England and Frances desire to find a reason to goto war, then it would have simply remained a war that was fought between Austria-Hungary and Germany verse Serbia and Russia, probabally would have been all over in 12 months with a greatly reduced loss of life and overall destruction and chaos. SE.

Admiral Kutzenov - The Cold War lives.

-StUkOv-
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 8:23:52 PM
 Sergeant

ehh really interesting period in history and your not doing the complexities much justice.

The reasoning of the beginning of the war stem back to 1870. The Franco Prussian War, the annexation of Alsace and Lorraine this was againts Kaiser to be Fredrick the III and Otto Von Bismark, Reich President of Prussia's wishes, but unlike the Austro-Prussian War after Konniggratz, Kaiser Wilhelm the I's sided with Von Moltke. The annexation turned away european opinion from pro prussian to pro french. This also changed the French foreign policy of Military alliance, ex. they were able to wrestle Russia away from its alliance with Germany, and into a defense pact of its own.

I Blame and English Doctor for WW1 and especially england's entry into the war. I am gonna be a bit brief here so let me summarize.

Now as far and the British Empire, Fredrick III (the hero of Koniggratz) is really the interesting charcter here. You German/Prussia relationships with England were better in the 1880's then they in about 50 years. This was mainly due to the Crown Prince's marrage to Princess Victoria (eldest daughter of the Queen Victoria) in 1858 along with the same liberal ideologies ect. However Fredrick diagnosed with Cancer of the layranx by a German physician which was confirmed by several other german doctors who said the cancer was malignat and requires immediate removal.

Enter Dr. Morell Mackenzie whose diagnosis was contrary to that of the germany doctors. He said he had a tumor but it was benign and treatment should be at his clinic in England along with the moist mediterrain climate air. Well turns out he was wrong. (oh yeah and then he got Knighted, Sir Morell Mackenzie) Then Kaiser Fredrick III would die of the cancer.

Long story short this helped Fuel Kaiser Wilhelm the II's disdain for the British and thus the Dreadnaught race was started. Winston Churchill called the construction of the massive German navy a "Luxary" for Germany as it was a neccessity for England. Given the fact of German's measly colonial empire he was probably right. The Dreadnaught race was a direct challenge to the British navy, the lifeline of the Empire and was the direct cause of friction between the two nations. The invasion of Belgium was a simple pretext for a war in which england had been set to wage since the assention of Wilhelm the second to the german throne. Yes there were many who argued Britians neutrality in the war, however with the refuseal to stop Germany's massive naval build up, the Kaiser sealed his fate.

Anyways theirs a great book on the subject called
Dreadnought by Robert K Massie that is a wonderful read on the subject.
Anders
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 10:28:12 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Nicolo Machiavelli has a better theory to follow on the general subject of wars and politics as outlined in his handbook "The Prince".
Search for it on Amazon, use this portal http://forums.ederon.net/default.aspx?g=posts&t=545 Thumbs Up

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Forgiven
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 10:31:52 PM
 Pilus prior

Il Principe has been my guide in life for a while now... Evil Grin

...but well, it was decent reading, not quite as 'deep' as I would have hoped (it's a short book afterall)..

...and while most of it still works, you can see how much it is indeed written for 'a ruler of portion of a fractured country'

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Anders
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 10:51:05 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Doesn't make the theory any less sound.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Athe
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:42:15 PM
 Oberstleutnant

You do realise you revived a year old post, right? Interesting, nontheless, I had missed it Tongue