Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Monday Game XIII AAR Options · View
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:00:33 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

oh, speaking of the lost ships - Daniel, mind if you reprogram your sunk ships thingy from hoi2 to 3? Note that that is not so important if i am not playing a naval power, mind you. Schuer

@Forgiven:
you have to put it into perspective of navy sizes in '38, though. Axis has virtually no fleet left (as far as i know), while it looks like the Allies are worse off.

Edit: Where have the allies lost 5 BBs anyway? quite costly :eek:

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Forgiven
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:40:16 AM
 Pilus prior

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Tirpitz sunk one off the coast of Dover, rest can be attributed to Reggia Marina.

And yes, you are quite right, Japan is only axis nation with a pretty navy left really...
US fleet is nearly untouched as far as I can tell, it's mostly uk/french ships that have been hit.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Hytzon
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:31:15 AM
 Brigadier General

Well the UK lost 3 BB's in one engagement with the Reggia Marina, but the latter in turn lost most of their screening ships. I will post an AAR here soon, explaining the design flaws of some of the British ships that led to the costly battle result... For now rest assured the RN still has 10 operational BB's at their disposal.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 1:56:30 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Couldn't sleep. Created Newspaper. took me 2.5 hours. You better like it. And comment. Or i'll bring communism to you Mad

Anders
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 10:57:46 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

[quote=Anders]
Italia

Italy

As 1940 progressed into summer and fall, pressure on Italy to join the war increased. Spain was threatened from the British enclaves at Gibraltar and under attack from British-occupied Morocco.
Italy had not yet completed it's program of military reform and modernization, but it was deemed critical that a blow be struck against the Allies at this time.
In order to blunt the British offensive in Morocco, Italy joined the war and immediately began an offensive against Egypt as well as supporting Generalissimo Francisco "Geo" Bahamonde's ill-run desert campaign in the Western desert.
Moving into Egypt proved quite easy, as the Allies had concentrated all their troops around Alexandria and the Suez canal, the so-called Mondrawy-line, named after the Egyptian Viceroy in the territory.
As Italian troops moved into position, the Usanian navy attempted to land substantial forces at our rear. Unfortunately for them, the location of the landing beaches coincided with the location of the HQ for the Eastern desert campaign. The Usanians were quickly driven back into the sea, except for the numerous prisoners who were sent to Rome to be displayed in Il Duce's triumph.
As three divisions of rapid moving troops attempted to bypass Alexandria, they fell victim to the desert's whims when a sand storm prevented supplies from reaching them in time to avoid a British encirclement. 2 motorized brigades, 6 cavalry brigades and a brigade of armoured cars were destroyed after a long and desperate struggle against a numerically superiour enemy.

In the West, however, British troops were being pushed back into the Atlantic by Hispano-Italian forces, while Gibraltar was bombed into submission.

Anders attached the following image(s):
ITA poster.jpg

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 11:10:27 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Haha, Mondrawy line Big Grin

Anders
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 11:39:54 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
Haha, Mondrawy line Big Grin

Since the Allies didn't name it, I took the opportunity for myself.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Ederon
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 12:00:30 PM
 Field Major

Interview with comrade Schuey LOL And we'll yet hear about Mondrawy line. Good one Anders Thumbs Up
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 3:17:49 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

I started that tradition long ago, and i guess i wanted to do that again. And a plain serious AAR is boring at times. So stay tuned for more over the top and ridiculous interviews with Comrade Schuey and his fake mustache!

cueball
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 3:21:35 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
Couldn't sleep. Created Newspaper. took me 2.5 hours. You better like it. And comment. Or i'll bring communism to you Mad

I wouldn't want to have you bring communism to me, so hat's off to you Comrade Schuey! Nice AAR.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 3:54:44 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Thanks. It takes long to do, but it is rewarding.

BTW, there is so much else to tell in retrospect. Anglo-Soviet border incident in central asia, for example. First you look at this immense blank space, not knowing what to fill it with, and then you have so many ideas left... Big Grin

Ederon
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 9:58:28 PM
 Field Major

When we talk about the time it takes, I've spent about 4 hours just on video opening One Tooth Grin That is 30s clip Tongue But it's rewarding as you say. I'd love to publish first part of the series yet before next session, but more probably it'll be out on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 10:42:22 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Take the time you need. no time to rush a genius.

Hytzon
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:41:59 PM
 Brigadier General

Session 3: War in the Mediterranean!
It had been anticipated that Italy would eventually join the Axis and so they did in the middle of 1940. Mussolini wanted to recreate the Roman Empire and the British Empire stood in his way. As soon as the declaration of war was received by Churchill, all troops in Egypt were put on high alert and the Royal Navy was sent out to hunt for the Regia Marina. Soon Italian motorized brigades were spotted crossing the Libyan-Egypt border racing towards Alexandria and its harbor facilities, but the British army had already set up huge defensive positions around this key city. They simply waited as the Italians crossed useless desert land and extended their supply lines doing so. When the commander in charge of the Egyptian army finally decided to strike back, by launching the so called Operation Compass, the Italians were soon routed and send on a lengthy retreat towards Libya. At this time the Americans had landed some support divisions, which performed rearguarding duty and managed to completely encircle and destroy some Italian brigades. While the American infantry equipment at the time was of lower quality than the British, it was clearly good enough to inflict severe casulties to the Italian Fascists. However, at the same time it should be mentioned that their overly ambitious amphibious assault behind Italian lines was thwarted by stiff resistance. A map showing the status around September 1940 can be seen here (note the Iraqy division at the top):

As noted earlier RN had succesfully reduced Kriegsmarine to near nothing by using powerfull port strikes from the air, which inspired the admiral in charge of the main battlesquadron around Sicily to try such a daring operation. Soon aircraft from 4 newer carriers were attacking Italian ports with moderate success, but the Reggia Marina decided to launch an all out attack on the awaiting British ships. Soon a series of major surface battles occurred and it would result in the sinking of 3 British battleships along with an aircraft carrier, but on the other hand the Reggia Marina lost all but their most recent capital ships. The loss of 3 battleships of the King George V class was a huge blow to Her Majesty's navy! It has since been speculated that some design flaws, involving the ammunition bunkers, caused them to be vulnerable from large caliber hits around the turrets. The aircrafts from the carriers were also damaged after having performed numerous port strikes and only played a minor role in these clashes, but the admiralty still believes them to be of vital importance. Below we see the last known photo of the lead ship of the class, namely the King George V.

However costly these battle proved to be, it resulted in the complete dominance of the sea by Allied ships. Soon Italian transports were sunk by the dozens and the Italian troops in North Africa faces a complete cutoff from supplies etc. It should be noted that the Vittorio Veneto class battleships have not yet been sunk, but after receiving several hits from 14-inch guns, it is believed that they are out of duty for at least some months. Finally the expeditionary corps in Morrocco has seen some minor setbacks after Spanish-Italian troops launced a major attack in the area, but the situation is not critical and will soon change to the better... During the time of writing (autumn 1940), Gibraltar also faces daily bombings by Spanish aircraft, but the defenses are still good and spirits high. If the Spanish were to launch an attack, it would surely turn into a turkey shoot that could shake the stability of the Franco-regime.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Ederon
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:49:47 PM
 Field Major

Great report! Keep doing such reports, it greatly helps me with the documentary. Especially those, where things are not so obvious for mere spectator, who knows what happened just from history logs. Like the story of battleships spared in the combat, but heavily damaged and put out of duty for months, etc.
Traks
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:46:51 PM
 Centurion

Hungary.

Broken country, dreaming of glorious days which ended twenty years ago, Hungary was full of determination to restore what was rightfully hers.
At the start, some troop training was done. Soon after, Italy decided to reclaim their heritage and attacked Yugoslavia.
As war dragged on, Hungary decided to reclaim their provinces and took back northern part of Yugoslavia. It crashed under attack from both sides and Hungary became prowd owner of their lands. Later, Italy grafecully gave some more provinces where Hungarians lived and for that, recieved full Hungarian air support in upcoming campaigns.
Seeing similar feelings about restoring glory in Romania, Hungary declared war on Bulgaria under pretext of unpaid debt to Hungarian government, and allowed Romania to annex Bulgaria. Still, big battles were looming just ahead...
Poland refused rightful claims of Germany, and was quickly subdued. It started a really big war, which Hungary was watching in awe. Unknown to Hungary, Germany devised even more devilish plan called "Barbarossa". "Barbarossa" started in winter, with attacks all over front against USSR. Shortly after Romania declared war. For unknown reasons, week later USSR declared war also on Hungary. So there was no choice left for brave Hungarians.
With screams in cold air, their troops attached bayonettes, brought their WW1 artillery and attacked entrenched Russians. They met stiff resistance, but many Russians were slaughtered in close quarter battle and started retreating north. During retreat, fresh tactical reserves of Hungarians and few German divisions overran enemy lines, causing them to collapse and taking numerous prisoners. Calculations are hard to do, but overall by now at least 50,000 Russians are mining coals in Hungary.

One of victories:
Forgiven
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:35:29 AM
 Pilus prior

Disclaimer: As the war in russia is very much on going and result still highly uncertain, I won't go into much detail today...

After Denmark fell in August Wehrmacht suddenly found itself without opposition in the west, or indeed, anywhere in the continent. Subdued French were only nation left that was not member of the Axis and while the highcommand was already drawing up plans for invasion of Vichy, it had afterall been assumed that they would join axis after their surrender earlier. The plan was filed to folder X after Italian ambassador after short negotiations on what parts of southern France the Italians would like to hold suprisingly announced that Italy would prefer to uphold French independence. While Germany was stunned by this announcement they agreed to listen to the wishes of their ally in exchange of them finally joining the war in african front.

The break in operations was quite welcome, lot of the equipment was in need of serious overhaul after a year of continous movement with minimal repairs. While the men were sent on vacations the personnel office was very hard trying to catch up with promotions and patching up losses of divisions, indeed lot of new equipment was coming from the factories and since trained manpower was streched thin lot of the veterans from Armee G were now transferred around to provide solid command teams and hardened core for the new mechanized divisions of Armee S.

While Germany had honored it's part of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact Soviet union had read it's part of agreed territorial partitioning quite loosely and taken Sweden and Norway as well as Finland. While Germany filed half hearted protest when they after this announced their claims for Bessarabia as well, it had really been unable to take real action in east while the war was still waged in the west. Now that the situation had calmed down and Kriegsmarine was shadow of it's former self and thus unable to provide any transport nor cover for third attempt of invasion of Britain it was at last time to turn to the East. Even the original negotiations with Hungary and Romania when they joined the Axis had included Romanias claim for the black sea and ski resort for Hungary in the Urals, thus negotiations with their military commands was initiated, the political leadership was considered less reliable and was not really included untill the last moment. Under these plans Germany sent V. Panzerkorps to Romania and I. Panzerkorps to Hungary to provide them with some properly trained troops to spearhead their, in german view, primitive armies.

Estimates of German Embassy in Moscow said that the soviet army could be expected to have at least 30-40 heavily armored divisions, thus quite easily matching mobile Wehrmacht forces in numbers if probably not in quality and even larger amount of infantry to support them, and that these numbers could be expected to rise as the Soviet industry had grown greatly under the last 5 year plan to rival and perhaps even surpass that of the greater reich. Thus it was decided that it would be better to strike as soon as possible rather than to try and build up our own forces futher, even if it meant a winter campaing.

Initial plan called for a armored breakthrough of soviet line around Pripyet marshes and fast march to Moscow by XIX., XXI. and XXII. Mechanized korps supported by IV. and II. Panzerkorps covering their supply route. As usual contact with enemy broke the plan and only XIX. korps succeeded in fast breakthrough and the others were continously engaged by soviet forces and and had to concentrate their time to keep the supply corridor to spearhead alive. Rommel eventually reached Moscow but was unable take it due to heavy resistance put up by the Kreml headquarters and whatever militia they managed to raise from streets of Moscow to man their huge fortifications that had somehow been forgotten from the notes of the ambassador, he later explained that he had assumed those fortifications were there just to secure the goverment from insurrection of it's own people and that he had not really considered their real military use.

As side note General von Schell went missing in action around late november when his 155. reserve-panzer-division moved outside radio distance and was presumed lost until a fishing boat carried note to Constanta saying he had reached coast of the black sea at Rostov and would continue to push towards Stalingrad, he has not been heard of since but the high command is unwilling to announce him MIA for second time without confirmation. If he has reached Stalingrad he is now some 1000 kilometers ahead of the german front line so there are no means of communication available to reach him anymore. Crazy

Ok, that's quite enough for now, after writing all this I'm thinking I might make properly composed AAR of this after we finish (so I can spy what other nations had been doing too).

Hytzon
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 9:02:17 PM
 Brigadier General

Session 4: Struggle for North Africa!
The last few months of 1940 saw bitter fighting in North Africa between Anglo-American and Italian/Spanish forces. The British armoured spearheads broke through dense Italian defences in Libya and sourronded the vital port of Tobruk, while conducting further probing attacks towards Bhengazi, the second largest city of Libya. After resting for a week, the battle-hardened "desert rats" were tasked with an all-out attack on Tobruk. The American army provided flanking manoeuvres east of Tobruk and joined the assault a few days after it had commenced, this again proved the powerfull co-operation between the armies of the Allies. Even though Italians soldiers had no hope of rescue they fought with tenacity and the battle lasted for some 18 days! But in the end British forces were victorious and at least 60.000 Italians were taken as POWs. Below is a map showing the situation in Libya during the attack:

Soon rest of Libya was liberated from Mussolini's soldiers and the important Suez Canal was deemed secured for the now. At the same time Somalia in East Africa was being freed at rapid speed by colonial troops. Here we see a contemporary army recruitment poster popular back home in Britain, displaying the now famous armoured units roaming in the desert:

In Morrocco the Axis forces were at first reluctant to attack British/Canadian positions around Tangier, but despite objections from Spanish leaders, Mussolini finally decided to attack the allied stronghold in late January 1941. The loss of Libya and an entire army probably caused him to go momentarily insane and the assault was called off after mere days. The mountain passes east of Tangier were simply to well defended and even local air superioty could not help the poor Axis soldiers. A few days after this fruitless assault, British reinforcements from Libya landed behind Spanish lines and assaulted the only axis port in the area. The garrison had no chance of resisting this well orchestrated attack and soon the port was firmly in British hands, threatening to put all Axis troops in Morrocco out of supplies! Soon a general retreat had been ordered to Axis frontline units and they started to retreat south into the desert. The situation at the 21st of February can be seen here:

Although the situation in North Africa was improving day by day, a more concerning matter had come to Churchills attention. Germany's succesfull attack on Russia in November 1940 had shown that the Axis powers were still growing stronger, despite local setbacks in the desert. RAF Bomber Command had launced a few bombing raids against German cities in a desperate attempt to hurt Germany's industry, but this was called off after hordes of Me-109E fighters had intercepted the defenseless bomber groups. It was clear to British leaders that only ground forces could defeat the rampaging nazi regime, but how and when this was going to happen was a big question. At the same time reports from Burma indicated a buildup of Japanese forces close to the border and an attack was to be expected later in 1941..!

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 12:18:46 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Gah i hope i find time to publish an AAR this week. Gah and then another one for tomorrow's (today's) session. Gah Mad

Forgiven
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:18:17 AM
 Pilus prior

Still operating in russia and still unwilling to cover the whole story (this qualifier may live with us for a while)

From late February to early May '41 Wermacht concentrated on closing and finishing off the 44-54 soviet divisions trapped inside the Baltic Pocket. Considering the usual speed at which they were used to operated the slow grinding advances were quite new and soviet will to fight had been underestimated, it may have been that giving them no way to retreat or surrender raised their fighting spirit too much, since after running out of supplies and oil they kept fighting with knives. Who would have thought that they are so good with knives.

Count to 44 from that but there was some contigent retreating towards the pocket at this time and a few smaller pockets higher up had been already cleaned.

Meanwhile rest of the army concentrated a bit, figuring that such overreach could only end in large losses of separated units being taken out one at a time, withdrawing behind dnieper(?) to recover and resupply.

Since Soviet forces in north were mostly trapped inside the baltic pocket some infantry divisions swept north to occupy the land abandoned by soviet defenders.

The imminent collapse of Romanian front forced wermach to speed up it's next offensive and meant cancelled vacations to the heroes of baltic encirclement as they were once again needed for new advance to divert soviet attention from the poor romanians, this time striking mostly south and towards moscow, eventually reaching Kiev from behind while some slower units of the army had advanced from west to surround the city, at this time the operation is still incomplete.

In west the allies were already threatening the european beaches, having first landed in portugal and later all around spain they eventually proceeded to land behind rommel's and model's prepared defensive positions in the pyrenees to take bordeux, this was unfortunately succesful, in part due to some of the divisions originally defending the area having moved to cover spanish border aswell. New recruits are being raised from french converts to cover this part of the front.

And then a loaned videoclip I happened to find around indepence day Rolleyes
Soviet troops advancing with the umm, finnish volunteers of SS Wiking advancing after them towards Leningrad and the liberation of Finland from soviet oppression.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvK45sGIXjQ (had to cover the music choise somehow)

Hytzon
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:49:24 AM
 Brigadier General

Session 5: Liberation of Spain!
I played around with Windows Movie Maker for some hours and prodcuced this short AAR movie for session 5:

Ederon
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:02:51 AM
 Field Major

Cool! Cool
teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:23:39 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Nice job!

sonofliberty
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:53:21 AM
Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

Nice video. Thumbs Up

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

There is a new game on the way Project Blitzkrieg
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:46:42 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Hah indeed Smile Cool cool Smile