Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Monday Game XIV - Session 9, May 31th Options · View
Hytzon
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:32:11 AM
 Brigadier General

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

See you all at 19.00 CET tonight.

Will Suez hold or will it fall and expose the weak underbelly of Europe to Allied invasions? Time will tell...
Meanwhile OKW is preparing to finnish of the Russian bear in the east. Smile

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 2:28:36 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Yay Smile

Looking forward to tonight.
And of course it will fall.... sooner or later yay

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Ederon
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 3:34:08 PM
 Field Major

I'm laying in my bed with flu and really don't know if I will be in a operational state this evening. I'll try to get better until session start though.
Kyril
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 5:21:21 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

I'll stay tuned to this thread then. Hope we can play. My beloved Tuesday game has been cancelled and delayed for about a month now, and I like to see more war.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 6:16:43 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Oh we will play, there is luckily a second japanese player just for this occasion Smile

Kyril
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 6:26:57 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

Forgot to add, hope you feel better soon Daniel. I realise I came across rather game obsessed Big Grin .
Fiendix
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 6:38:58 PM
 Pilus prior

ill be very late - try to catch you chaps on teamspeak Sad
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 6:57:54 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

how very late?
In any case, lucky we have a second USA player.

i really like how we fit 2 people for japan and USA, looks like we really needed it yay

teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:24:57 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Great session everyone! The empire has struck back! We will have to see what can be done.
Hytzon
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:26:21 AM
 Brigadier General

Nice session!

Slow progress in USSR due to supply shortages and the new Soviet Stalingrad Army.
Somehow the Soviet navy managed to sink the 2 BB's and 2 BC's that the Kriegsmarine had just received, mehhh!

Ohh and the USSR will surrender once Arkhangelsk falls, which it does within a few days.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:28:50 AM
 Pilus prior

so start a new game?
Forgiven
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:33:19 AM
 Pilus prior

Well, yea, relaxing session for once One Tooth Grin
Not all that much happening in Italy, almost suggested speed 2 at times...

Didn't even have operatable airports in allied territories...

Thou the early Suez battle was still a joy...
..it looked so bad so many times in last few sessions it's a wonder it never fell, I must confess Italian mainland was next to defenseless, some Hungarians might have been able to muster a defence...

I'm quite sure I won't be there for next time and as I said my summer attendance will be spotty at best, on the other hand I wouldn't mind fighting it out to conquest of USA&UK (if that's even possible...) but but, well. I'll leave it up to you.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:34:34 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

If so it should be semper fi. Not sure when Forgiven will be available again?
Forgiven
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:35:49 AM
 Pilus prior

Probably missing the next game, I doubt I'll be around until like, september, for regular play, I might sub/coop if you want on some sessions but...

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:13:41 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

fun session.
But i guess this means game over. good game from the axis side, i made too many bad judgement calls myself.

Anyway, i wouldnt mind a pause to see how SF fare in MP, also we need to setup a new game, etc.
The game might be winnable for allies in the long term, but the ridiculously strong IJN might still prove to be a nuisance. a big one, that is.

Anyway, a fun game for the first time being a naval power, not sure yet what i wanna play next game.

@SF: btw i asked for someone to code a new Abyss scenario for it... is there interest in such a thing?

teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:16:45 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

What is abyss?

Forgiven
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:56:25 AM
 Pilus prior

Not to mention Germany and Italy are busy building up a fleet as well Rolleyes
..Thou I grant you, the Italian fleet won't be done for a year or so..

Abyss was probably the one with ~10? More or less balanced sized nations all around the globe?
I prefer the Historical war really, couldn't you already do that with the uh... Randomhoi addon (?) find it, uh, I think it's this;
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=525

teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:35:18 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Hmm, that would be pretty cool to have that many strong nations.
Traks
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:05:11 AM
 Centurion

You tested that SU falls after Arkhangelsk?
Honestly I would prefer SU coop with Kyrill from start and yes,1-2 weeks delay to taste how Semper Fi looks like and how balanced it is.

Oh, Marat did a good job, even if last one Smile
Hytzon
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 10:06:19 AM
 Brigadier General

Yea I let the game run for some days and USSR surrender once Arkhangelsk falls.

Schuer I don't think that the Allies can win this game. I as Germany have something like 570 effective IC alone, coupled with the largest army in the world I guess, ohh and good resource stockpiles.
The only thing I need is a stronger navy and that will come sooner than later. I am pretty sure the Axis have a major IC, manpower and even resource advantage at this point.

Edit: It would be nice if another person could confirm the USSR surrender. Just load up as Germany and let it run until the battle is won in the north.

Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 10:43:46 AM
 Pilus prior

yea it was over 2-3 sessions ago when russia lost most of its army. Pity we didnt have a second player then for coop. It would have been a much more longer game. At least we did some damage to the japanese fleet this time around - though no cvs or bbs were lost by them..

Im prolly out of the next game though, but will see...
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:18:26 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

@Gene:
At some point we were incredibly bored with the old HoI2 GC, so we played the Abyss/Armageddon scenarios. They were quite fun, though tbh i dont know how we would fare here, with the limited diplomatic options.
But it was good to get everybody a reasonably sized country to play with, not 4-5 majors and 100 small nations.

teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 3:41:54 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Fiendix wrote:
yea it was over 2-3 sessions ago when russia lost most of its army. Pity we didnt have a second player then for coop. It would have been a much more longer game. At least we did some damage to the japanese fleet this time around - though no cvs or bbs were lost by them..

Im prolly out of the next game though, but will see...

I think the Japanese Navy gave at least as good as it got last session. You did catch a transport fleet off the coast of India and did destroy a couple of brand new BC that I made the mistake of moving before they had ORG. But, considering what UK lost in the exchange, Japan came out way ahead. The real thing is just Japan is outgunned as it should be.

The CV/BB is a fun fleet to play with and IMO the only hope for Japan to try to control the seas. Semper Fi rule changes pretty much make it where the US gains the pacific by default as the new rules pretty make it a given that naval battles will be wars of attrition. Much smaller fleet with smaller hull sizes. Right now my guess is that in Semper Fi CV's and transports will become the only thing to build fleet wise as transports are a way to get around hull size limitations.

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
@Gene:
At some point we were incredibly bored with the old HoI2 GC, so we played the Abyss/Armageddon scenarios. They were quite fun, though tbh i dont know how we would fare here, with the limited diplomatic options.
But it was good to get everybody a reasonably sized country to play with, not 4-5 majors and 100 small nations.

Interesting. Still its something to look at otherwise after awhile all the games look alike.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:05:03 PM
 Pilus prior

dont know what exactly uk lost, just happy we didnt lose any ships last session. As to fleet composition. Ours were such due to newbieness and us being used to hoi2 setups and hope that HOI3 added some fun for smaller fleets (esp initially). I could have just made it the same with 4-6 carriers and 12 BBs or CAs. Wanted a bit of variation and hoped it would be more fun. Swimming around with a big stack of cap ships always capped at 17-18 ships just is not.

If SF just gives bonuses to CV fleets then it wont be much more fun. I dont really get this hull cap you speak about. A fleet with just CVs and TPs should get pummeled esp if the attacker is much faster.

Indeed I have 7 more CVs comming out across the 1-2 years + the 8? we have now plus new BBs and CA so japan has little chance in the long term as it should. Then again with Germany free to use its IC on navy the game's ending is easily predictable.
teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:31:23 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Fiendix wrote:
dont know what exactly uk lost, just happy we didnt lose any ships last session. As to fleet composition. Ours were such due to newbieness and us being used to hoi2 setups and hope that HOI3 added some fun for smaller fleets (esp initially). I could have just made it the same with 4-6 carriers and 12 BBs or CAs. Wanted a bit of variation and hoped it would be more fun. Swimming around with a big stack of cap ships always capped at 17-18 ships just is not.

If SF just gives bonuses to CV fleets then it wont be much more fun. I dont really get this hull cap you speak about. A fleet with just CVs and TPs should get pummeled esp if the attacker is much faster.

Indeed I have 7 more CVs comming out across the 1-2 years + the 8? we have now plus new BBs and CA so japan has little chance in the long term as it should. Then again with Germany free to use its IC on navy the game's ending is easily predictable.

True, the navy has similar issues to the land, in that capital ships are the only thing really to build and on land its ARM. This is due to the industry does not have to repair and replace tanks for all those formations on land. Same issue at sea, in reality win or lose the carriers were out of aircraft after a naval air battle. In Hoi the CAG's do not die. They do run out of ORG, but they live long after the carrier is gone. BB's rarely sink, so they can fight another day. All others probably die too fast. Should be quite hard to destroy a destroyer squadron I would think. but its treated as a single ship.