Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Monday Game XVI signup Options · View
Ederon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:53:44 PM
 Field Major

State your preferences for 4th HoI3 Monday Game here.

As I said, I'd like to try SU. But seeing how big interest there is in SU, my complete preferences are:

SU, US/China->US, UK, France i.e. whatever Allied major, cooped.

Allied Majors
France France - Ederon pre Vichy
Soviet Union SU - Gen.Schuermann and Ederon
United Kingdom UK - Forgiven and Nieldo (?)
United States USA - teamgene

Axis Majors
Germany Germany - Traks and Hytzon
Italy Italy - Kyril
Japan Japan - Fiendix, Orthank

Axis Minors
Hungary
Romania - Arya V.

Allied Minors
Australia - Anders
Canada
Fiendix
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:57:25 PM
 Pilus prior
One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Orthank and I would like Japan if we are useing the same "version" + 2.03 and doing a "rematch". If not then next choice is USSR. After that i dont really care - maybe except uk as i have enough atm.
Ederon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:10:23 PM
 Field Major

Just a note. In a first round please state your preference without taking that of others into mind. Then in subsequent rounds we'll do some play-offs Smile
Traks
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:18:57 PM
 Centurion

Germany most preferably. Mayyyyyyybe Italy, but I honestly have played them too much.
Too bad chance to run two HOIs is disabled, then minor players could run two.
Best would be to have first choice, then setup channel for final agreement.
Forgiven
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:31:41 PM
 Pilus prior

Let's see... hmm...
I'd love to do the Soviets, let's call that 1. but, I'm quite willing to give, say, UK a go as second option, USA just sounds way too easy Rolleyes so... perhaps...

Soviets
UK
China
USA
...France is acceptable but I'd rather have my final country from start, then again, I'm also sure I could defend france LOL

As interesting sideshow, I could welcome the spanish civil war (seeing rest of my pics, rebublican side), but only if there is someone playing the opposing side as well...

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Ederon
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:47:42 PM
 Field Major

Forgiven wrote:
As interesting sideshow, I could welcome the spanish civil war (seeing rest of my pics, rebublican side), but only if there is someone playing the opposing side as well...

I would be up for it if I can't get what I want or when there is lot of players.
Forgiven
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:52:23 PM
 Pilus prior

Oh, and yet another note, I'd welcome coop this time, if it's major, still haven't tried that out (damn that two front war as germany was fast, I'm not sure we even used speed 1, and I can't even imagine how that was for soviets... made Italy feel so leisure even with all that fighting..)

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Anders
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:34:44 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

I'd like Australia this time, please.
(Or to coop Germany)

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Fiendix
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:50:28 AM
 Pilus prior

Daniel wrote:
I would be up for it if I can't get what I want or when there is lot of players.

problem with spain is that it unbalances either side it joins. This time around even hungary was not needed.
Maybe we could stick to the 6 majors all in coop? Thats 12 people more than enough, plus maybe max 1 minor on each side. The more nations the harder it is to figure out what tipped the scales.
Anders
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:13:56 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

btw, will we patch the game this time?

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Traks
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:28:32 AM
 Centurion

No, but we will take changes from 2.03 patch and add to MP mod.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:17:49 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Soviet Union, Germany, USA

But preferably not USA, tbh, i dislike the naval aspect. you know, being the Panzer guy an' all that.

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Traks
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:50:30 AM
 Centurion

Bah, all your tanks are belong to me.
You can have Kriegsmarine Big Grin
Fiendix
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:58:08 AM
 Pilus prior

id simply suggest a change of teams if we are to play the same patch with no major changes if all dont mind:

USSR - Shuey and Ederon
USA - Teamgene
UK - Nieldo

Ger - Traks and Kyril
Jap - Fiendix and Orthank
Ita - Hytzon

and the rest that were not in last game among the free spots or minors?
Traks
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:04:10 PM
 Centurion

USA need +1.
But overall this list seems quite fine for me.

Aphro was as Hungary. He can take any country he wants, Allies or Axis.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:38:38 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

I'd like that idea of opposing teams.

I hate to say it though, we always need to keep in mind that always the best players should play the Soviet Union and Germany. And TBH i am unsure of Kyril's and Traks' skillset/experience. Traks lost 2 times as the Soviet Union in a row, and that was always a pretty thorough collapse, and a quick one at that. Of course it must be factored in that the SU in 1938 is a pretty shitty nation to play with, and succeeding against a well oiled german war machine is at least hard.
In this case, and not out of spite Traks and Kyril! i would like to see at least Hytzon and/or Fiendix be part of a German team of two.

I myself have found my match with Forgiven, but u have yet to find it with others as well.

My point is, that when we have 2 nations, well balanced in skill in general ability of said nation, we will have a long and enjoyable game. I remember a game where i was germany and anders the soviet union. If i am correct, Barbarossa was over in 3 weeks. That was no proper matching, and no fun involved for either party.

This is just my 2 cents worth. I have been in 11-12 monday games so far, enjoying some games more than others, and i hope my word stands for something. Schuer

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Orthank
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:40:01 PM
 1st Lieutenant

Fiendix wrote:
Orthank and I would like Japan if we are useing the same "version" + 2.03 and doing a "rematch". If not then next choice is USSR. After that i dont really care - maybe except uk as i have enough atm.

Yup, i'm in, call me seppuku and him harakiri.
Anders
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:56:47 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
I hate to say it though, we always need to keep in mind that always the best players should play the Soviet Union and Germany.
But I want to play Australia this time! Big Grin

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Anders
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:58:11 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Traks wrote:
No, but we will take changes from 2.03 patch and add to MP mod.

Why not just patch it then..?

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Traks
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:59:50 PM
 Centurion

Eh, I guess I can stick with Fashies this time Sad
Nobody expects Italian inquisition!

Anders - because 2.03 itself is buggy.
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:32:12 PM
 Field Major

I agree on the need to attempt to match the skill of at least Ger-SU, but on the other hand and in building stronger group with evenly skilled players long-term, we shouldn't deny those who lack the skill now to get a chance to play against those more skilled, which help them improved the skill faster. Now when coop is not just a possibility but also necessity, this get to a whole new level. Combining newbie with seasoned veteran in coop even more accelerates the process of learning. I think I don't have to pull old, well known stories to the table to prove this, right Felix? Schuer

Anyway, I'm sorry but I'm just too lazy to read through the other topic to find our preferences of all players who didn't state them in this one. So

Hytzon
teamgene (IIRC SU was first pick)
Nieldo
Kyril
and the rest (aprochine and anybody else who's up for next game with us)

Please state your opinion here.
Fiendix
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:57:50 PM
 Pilus prior

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
I'd like that idea of opposing teams.

I hate to say it though, we always need to keep in mind that always the best players should play the Soviet Union and Germany. And TBH i am unsure of Kyril's and Traks' skillset/experience. Traks lost 2 times as the Soviet Union in a row, and that was always a pretty thorough collapse, and a quick one at that. Of course it must be factored in that the SU in 1938 is a pretty shitty nation to play with, and succeeding against a well oiled german war machine is at least hard.
In this case, and not out of spite Traks and Kyril! i would like to see at least Hytzon and/or Fiendix be part of a German team of two.

I myself have found my match with Forgiven, but u have yet to find it with others as well.

My point is, that when we have 2 nations, well balanced in skill in general ability of said nation, we will have a long and enjoyable game. I remember a game where i was germany and anders the soviet union. If i am correct, Barbarossa was over in 3 weeks. That was no proper matching, and no fun involved for either party.

This is just my 2 cents worth. I have been in 11-12 monday games so far, enjoying some games more than others, and i hope my word stands for something. Schuer

oer - Im pretty confident that Traks and Kyril will manage germany quite well. Traks is a number cruncher so its just of question of getting more combat training - which I need too and we will get some in some 1 v 1s & Kyril has been playing many games with us on the old HOI multiplayer forum on xorbit (which went bust and caused us to loose all data Sad ) and also is a good player. Really the eff of germany in combat was not easy thing to handle. Esp with troop numbers similar. Their land grab was well executed.

Frankly I think most of us are still quite fresh with HOI3. Still a lot of HOI2 mentality in all of us. Im flattered you think I am more xp but I cant really say thats the case. If Kyril is up to running italy alone (dont really think a coop would be interesting as its a small front) then maybe Hytzon and Traks can handle Germany - id really prefer to stay away from them for 1-2 more games and see how japan can do seeing I played usa v them and as uk.
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:11:39 PM
 Field Major

Fiend is right. Combat training is what's needed here and get rid of HoI2 styled stacks and better grasp nature of hoi3 combat mechanics. Front width, reinforcements, etc. Where in Hoi2 it was sufficient to put 40 divisions to let's say Gibraltar and defend it indefinitely, in hoi3 you have certain cap on units able to fight and reserve's reinforcing the frontline units. So in my experience, which is rather limited tbh, attacker (or the side with initiative) stacks units right on the frontline just because he wants to push them through the line and distribute them further in enemy territory. While defender should seek approximate ratio of units/combat width of province + some reserves and keep the rest behind the line. This way line will defend just as good, while there will be lesser chance of quick and destructive breaches leading to collapse of a front. Defender as well as attacker has to keep reinforce chance in mind, to actually be able to make use of reserves, otherwise they are just there for nothing.
Hytzon
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:26:35 PM
 Brigadier General

I am up for almost any nation on either side, but I also think it would be fun with a side switch. It seems like Traks and Kyril got a good thing going, so I am fine with taking Italy and bringing back the glory of the Roman Empire... Or lose the fleet in a decisive battle that will forever pin my landforces in Italy to protect the boot from Allied invasions Big Grin
As with the last game, I think we should consider and discuss our mod and not rush into playing, but I guess we only need small fixes this time. It would be nice if Paradox released a small hotfix for 1.3 fixing the small issues it has, but I guess that is wishful thinking.

On a side note; I finish my masters degree in the middle of september and will start at a new job the same time, although it shouldn't affect my timeschedule I can't be completely sure.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
teamgene
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:24:06 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I will play USA then and see what happens. One problem is that I have already downloaded 2.03b. Not a big problem. Can be undone.