One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

That picture is not approved by Reich generals Smile
Hytzon
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 1:58:58 PM
 Brigadier General

Looking forward to tonight.

A typical day in a Soviet soldiers life:

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Ederon
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 2:31:44 PM
 Field Major

And this is how Nazi end up fighting in Mother Russia

Sergeant
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:11:51 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Good, fun session, though the retreat bug/WAD feature really kills the experience a bit. That and the ridiculous org regain rate -.-

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Ederon
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:12:21 AM
 Field Major

Hell of a fight, let's see what's coming up. Thanks everyone, see you next week.
Hytzon
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:20:06 AM
 Brigadier General

The low leadership level is hard on the Russians thats for sure... But thats what you get for an early dow and mass tank build Big Grin

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Traks
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:59:06 AM
 Centurion

I do enjoy being on giving end as Germany.
Now you can see and feel what pain and retreat it was, no?

And retreat thingy is said to be WAD. But that is the reason why attacker almost always gets to province first.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:40:46 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

I wonder if we can mod anything in that regard ourselves. Likenorg regain when retreating, or org loss while advancing.

Traks
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:13:29 AM
 Centurion

That is deep in exe file and is my biggest gripe with HOI3.
Supply can be tamed, but this design decision clearly favours only attackers.
Hytzon
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:13:48 AM
 Brigadier General

Btw. some of our panzer divisions have above 50% experience, gain 45% combined arms bonus and some crazy +% for leader skill. The prolonged battle in France and Spain really gave our divisions a great boost and my OOB is nice, meaning most units are within radio range giving us all the bonuses from the command hierarchy Big Grin

So far the retreat thing hasn't been an issue in the north, I guess it is me vs. Ederon in the north-central Poland area... For now nothing much has happened, but the Soviet navy was almost exterminated!

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:31:33 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Ederon is in fact commanding the south, i am commanding the north.

Well almost exterminated stretches it a bit Wink
The combined arms bonus is ludicrous Big Grin
But it's ok, at times i also have 300% defense bonus. I learned from past mistakes quite a bit, but you guys have learned also. Let's see how this continues. It was a given that we would have no chance for half a year or more, but once that times is past, we'd be even, given my superiority of numbers, i guess. Forgiven learned that the hard way. though i guess i wont be enjoying any help from the allies this time around... bloody inepts Schuer

Traks
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:16:14 PM
 Centurion

I see, then he is facing me in South.

Don't worry about fleet, we only sent Ruedel to deal with Marat.
So your task is to survive half a year? Maybe you will manage Smile

As for Allies - UK is tamed, but last I heard some USA ships are still hiding in ports from Japanese navy.
Wonder what losses UK fleet suffered this session.
Yes, some SU ships killed but still there are left.

As for Germany - random USA and UK units killed in Gib and nearby, not sure how many were evacuated.
Annoying cheap HQ's too.

In East few slow tank divisions slaughtered.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:30:06 PM
 Pilus prior

Unfortunately the uk has stayed away from my navy and I didnt sink anything. The usa lost 7 ships (2ECVs) and also seems to have decided its safer in ports. India is going very slowly as the zounds of UK tanks are hard to break through.. but if they keep at it they will prolly lose most of their army in india and africa? Real shame, but over agressive UK is VERY risky for the whole alliance. USA is too weak unitwise esp if it also wants to slow down japan.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:41:52 PM
 Pilus prior

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
I wonder if we can mod anything in that regard ourselves. Likenorg regain when retreating, or org loss while advancing.

If you can maybe bump this thread in the beta forum:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?495283-Combat-in-HOI3
juv95hrn
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:18:20 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support Medal

Italian Report

The war started with some initial success.

The submarine campaign in the Med proved to be very successfull(which is to be expected with the current deadly stats of the submarines). I sank loads of ships until one day reports stopped coming in. I suppose UK stopped their convoys or has the AI learned to reroute convoys outside the Med after Gibraltar and Suez is closed? I suppose not because then the Alexandria garrison would be out of supply since I occupy the Eastern bank of the canal.

One Army performed a landing at Tel Aviv, occupied Sinai and is now slowly pushing Iraqi forces back from their invasion of Palestine. I can cross into Egypt because the canal is reported to be "almost 30 meters Wide" and is apparantly an unsurmountable obstacle to the Italian engineers.

At the same time an invasion was launched from Libya. the DAK pushed back UK armor to within the Delta but was not strong enough to cross the river nor attack into the Cairo mountains (wtf is that mtn province doing there?). The offensive into Egypt soon bogged down due to recent events on the Eastern front which took all of my attention to say the least.

Enjoying a leisureily glass of wine while wathcing my invasions and reorganising my forces along the former Romanian border I noticed a sudden activity of Russian forces. Soon after they came pouring over the border. Terrain was helpful to slow them down but the superiority of Soviet armoured forces were too much and only with the help of German panzer divisions was the tide stemmed somewhat.

There is now a huge pocket created in Romania consisting of most of the Italian Army on the Eastern front. The situation looks bleak of this pocket is destroyed but since supplies still are plentiful and many units are at high org still (I'm actually attacking quite succesfully out of it) and with large German panzer reinforcements getting close from Spain I hope to fight this front not only to a standstill but to a major encirclement of the encircling Soviet armour divisions. Only time will tell how the battle will go.

I think the current MR-pact setup is a bit problematic. Can anyone see any disadvantage for Russia to not strike first while parts of the German army is busy in the West? The best timing would probably be to attack once Germany is heavily committed in France. Sure you wont have time to build up your officer ration etc etc but compare it to the advantages it brings. I Think it should be a bit more painful or difficult for Russia to break the pact for the sake of balance. Feel free to disagree with me I would like to see what this experienced MP groups take on this is.

In the tuesday night group we have a house rule that prevents SOV from attacking until quite a bit later if the MR-pact is chosen. Maybe that is too strict.
Forgiven
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:55:59 PM
 Pilus prior

Mmm, the ability to break DoW was '200% superiority along border' for months 6-12 after signing, and equality in number for 12-18 months after, right?

In essence since it's impossible to break the NAP (legally, dowing Italy is always possible, duh) for first 6 months, which should be 'almost enough' for matters in france to be finished already (granted, it took 9 months for the battle there to end (?)) Germany should have no trouble getting those troops back in time to stop the soviets, no one told you to attack spain with all those panzer divisions Evil Grin ..
But yes, I'll grant you that the original 9 month 'no dow' rule was better in this sense, but it essentially made it impossible for germany to dow 'in time' as soviets could stack the border with more and more troops as well, hmn...

Still, it's damn near impossible to get SU ready much before this dow I think, as you can see it's hardly on par with Germany even now...
Of course there's advantage to attack while Germany is occupied, but I don't see how you could turn that around, if you extend the 'NAP delay' Germany won't be able to DoW soviets when it wants to either...

I've half considered the 'what if' of how devastating it would actually be if Germany continued straight into SU after poland and it's probably even scarier...

Gibraltar was mainly US operation, as you well know British Army is otherwise engaged Sergeant And the UK garrison atleast evacuated in orderly fashion...

And yes, RN has been recovering this session but I'm sure I lost something, subs or destroyers, I'm not sure...

And yea, I did not feel confortable with just 'let's sit in home isles and wait for invasion' aproach, had to defend the realm, sadly the naval aspect failed rather badly which limits the counter attack and evacuation options, but I doubt you'll find it that easy to just 'eliminate' Army of India...

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:19:11 PM
 Pilus prior

oh I dont doubt that it will be hard - esp since you have so many tanks in that area. At least you are on the defensive more now...
Ederon
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:24:02 PM
 Field Major

I can say for myself that I'll do my best to kill all units trapped in the pocket. Including all Germans involved. I know I can do it, but I know you have chance to break it. Not as easy as you might think, but still. Looking forward to that. If I counted correctly, there is 30-40 units (mostly divisions) in the pocket, maybe quarter of it HQ's. Few German panzer divisions.
Traks
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:04:04 PM
 Centurion

No no, Daniel, don't risk your troops, just fall back and play safely.
teamgene
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:06:17 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Fiendix wrote:
Unfortunately the uk has stayed away from my navy and I didnt sink anything. The usa lost 7 ships (2ECVs) and also seems to have decided its safer in ports. India is going very slowly as the zounds of UK tanks are hard to break through.. but if they keep at it they will prolly lose most of their army in india and africa? Real shame, but over agressive UK is VERY risky for the whole alliance. USA is too weak unitwise esp if it also wants to slow down japan.

In hindsight I could have probably sent the fleet through New Guinea and Australia to the Indian Ocean to support UK and who knows what would have happened. Instead I waited in ambush for a fleet that never came.

To me, the main issue is though that the pacific war really needs two players at the helm be it Japan, UK or USA. Its much easier to be aggressive when you can put all your attention to an area.

Forgiven
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:13:31 PM
 Pilus prior

Indeed, we had little communication break up in pacific. Lack of command hierarchy and too busy to manage troops to have long negotiations on what needed to be done LOL

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem, if you are powerless.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:24:08 PM
 Pilus prior

Forgiven wrote:
Indeed, we had little communication break up in pacific. Lack of command hierarchy and too busy to manage troops to have long negotiations on what needed to be done LOL

yea 2 players are a must - i did wonder why ederon didnt move to uk before moveing to ussr. I myself got overwhelmed a bit as japan is strictly an offensive nation and coordinating a 360deg front is just madness even with 2 players at times. Plus we also had our minor miscomunication issues - esp with the placement of units on the islands. At least it was easier that I had my eyes constantly on singapore are and with the help of subs could see the movements of the uk fleet and the timeing the uk had was perfect as their cv fleet was moveing out of the area just when mine was arriveing Smile. And of course at the end of one of the games just before usa joined i decided to move one of the beat up fleets to diego garcia instead of to the safty of japan (worried with the usa catching me without org) - which later on served to beat up the retreating uk ships.
Ederon
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:52:30 PM
 Field Major

UK before USSR? I'm sure I was far more useful in France then I'd be in pre war UK. And I'm chronically tired on Mondays as it's rather busy time lately.

Another reason is that we are doing kind of re-match.
Fiendix
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:16:40 PM
 Pilus prior

Daniel wrote:
UK before USSR? I'm sure I was far more useful in France then I'd be in pre war UK. And I'm chronically tired on Mondays as it's rather busy time lately.

Another reason is that we are doing kind of re-match.

no I meant after france - they did die somwhere in april or so and the rest the ai could prolly have handled just as well. Second pair of eyes between apirl and november when uk lost most of its fleet would have probably been usefull.