Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Fleet composition and combat tactics Options · View
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:27:16 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Please tell me all about it. I am essentially a noob in this regard. What can i do?

Maximum fleet size? What do SAGs, CAGs and other fleets look like?

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Hytzon
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:07:53 AM
 Brigadier General

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

It's a shame we lost Teamgene to the Axis team as he have had lots of naval experience. In fact it seems the Axis have the most active naval players on their team, arrghhh.

Anyways, use you submarines as scouts in front of your main fleets. Try to be in range of friendly land based fighters or at least out of range from enemy ones.
Keep your carrier forces together and don't sail through the Singapore straight once Japan has taken it, it's a death trap.

I am not sure about fleet composition, but you could go for fleets of 3-4 CVs, 2 CA's and CL's. You need to research and upgrade the AA on all your ships as it protects them from CAG attacks. Likewise you need to research and upgrade torpedos and light bombs to give your CAGs more attack.

As intelligence is very important for the naval game, I would advise you to build up spies in Japan. Take a look at the intelligence tab quite often as it can give you the whereabouts of Japanese naval forces. In my coop games I have used this successfully, I kept Fiendix + Orthank up to date with the intel I gathered as Germany in the last game.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 11:05:21 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

Ah, good. thanks about the intel note and techs. will do.

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
juv95hrn
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 5:52:39 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support Medal

Since CAs are capital ships I think they will try to get closer to the enemy in a fleet engagment. Maybe its better to stick with just lots of high tech CLs that are screens that will stick close to the CVs.

Keep reserve fleets behind your main fleet that you can reinforce with.

Start the engagement with a low Hull factor force 3-4 CVs with CLs for a total of maybe 15 ships, led by a 4 star admiral that can handle 30 ships. Then quiclkly reinforce with a similar fleet from an adjacent sea zone. Once you have lost ships down to 15 again you send in another fleet. Don't engage with all at once since that will give you a bad positioning due to the high hull number but dont engage with too little so you get sunk before reinforcements arrive. The Italian navy has been very successful vs the RN with this strategy.

Keep some fast groups, CAs and DDs maybe, around and encircle the battle while it lasts to intercept the retreat of the enemy in case you win.

Oh, and of course build lots of CAGs as reserve to replace the ones that get damaged in battle.

I'm not sure about NAV in the last patch. Maybe they are wortwhile as scouts with long range in the pacific now?
Hytzon
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 6:33:58 PM
 Brigadier General

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

It is true the CAs will close with the enemy CAs (BC/BBs also), but USA do have quite many CAs if I remember correctly. The idea is simply to have them as damage absorbers for enemy air attacks and hopefully they will be sunk instead of CV's.

The positioning values are less important in CV battles, but I guess you could get unlucky if you have massive hull penalties, a poor skilled leader, it is night and finally during bad weather... hehe Big Grin
Basically the position values are only used for the initial position of the ships if afaik.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.