Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Discussion thread for FSR Options · View
Gollevainen
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 2:51:47 PM
 Legatus legionis

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 50,000th Forum Post

Well Oddman did "venice" to us e.g managed to get succesfull landings on South Africe (comming in from Ethiopias side in the east) with first some 60 divisions and then resuplying it with another 60 divisions.

Byt the end of the session despite what the map looks we managed to set up defensivelines and stop the catalonian advances with only those troops stationed in Africa. Next session shall be very interesting.

As a bigger picture it seems quite sadly that our changes to stop the game from envolving into it's pre-setted fate has failed. It's like were are Germany of OTL WWII and we just lost Stalingrad. Now it really comes down to our playingskills if we can turn the tide. Time will tell.

Irsh Faq wrote:
I've noted with Golle a trend of stirring up as much drama publicly as he can whenever he's up to something shady in the background. Presumably its a smokescreen strategy.
The Professor
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 3:41:45 PM
 General of the Army

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Uhm no, unlike us and our quasi Japanese doctrine of only landing on unopposed beaches Oddman actually had the naval doctrines to land six marines divisions at an opposed and reasonably heavily defended beach after three years of practice and from what I can only conclude was extensive preliminary planning and preparation. He had every reason for the landings to succeed without us having reserves because fuck, how are we supposed to know which beaches are most threatened?

While I suspect Dano had a hand in the conceptualization of the plan, evidence only points to it being an oddman-only operation, and I have no choice but to admit it was a well executed operation that may very well change the course of the war.

However, "if's" and "may's". We'll see how well of a tactician Oddman is once he has to fight serious resistance once he outpaces his supply lines.

Their game can only exist to be won.
Then so be it who else can see it done.
jodokus
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 3:54:44 PM
 Generaloberst

It was actually three divisions against my three 39' infantry divisions. Curiously enough, Oddman tried similar attacks against St. Helena in last years last session, without any change of breaking trough. Either he teched up his marines/doctrines/learned to put commando leader on them or all combined, but the landing started with me no change to win the battle without reinforcements that were not immediately near by.

After the intial panic and disorder it caused, I adjoin golly in Paradox, there must be some evil twist hidden somewhere, otherwise the whole thing makes no sense at all...

oddman
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 4:01:40 PM
 Admiral

The Professor wrote:
Uhm no, unlike us and our quasi Japanese doctrine of only landing on unopposed beaches Oddman actually had the naval doctrines to land six marines divisions at an opposed and reasonably heavily defended beach after three years of practice and from what I can only conclude was extensive preliminary planning and preparation. He had every reason for the landings to succeed without us having reserves because fuck, how are we supposed to know which beaches are most threatened?

While I suspect Dano had a hand in the conceptualization of the plan, evidence only points to it being an oddman-only operation, and I have no choice but to admit it was a well executed operation that may very well change the course of the war.

However, "if's" and "may's". We'll see how well of a tactician Oddman is once he has to fight serious resistance once he outpaces his supply lines.

High praise indeed, especially coming from you. Thank you.
And FYI, Dano's main contribution (and a critical one it was, too) to this campaign was the capture of Réunion.

I, too, am very curious to see what will happen once the lines settle.

Gollevainen wrote:
Well Oddman did "venice" to us e.g managed to get succesfull landings on South Africe (comming in from Ethiopias side in the east) with first some 60 divisions and then resuplying it with another 60 divisions.

Byt the end of the session despite what the map looks we managed to set up defensivelines and stop the catalonian advances with only those troops stationed in Africa. Next session shall be very interesting.

As a bigger picture it seems quite sadly that our changes to stop the game from envolving into it's pre-setted fate has failed. It's like were are Germany of OTL WWII and we just lost Stalingrad. Now it really comes down to our playingskills if we can turn the tide. Time will tell.

You are damned lucky my second landing in that place south of Luanda failed. Had those bajillion guys actually landed unopposed next to your capital, you would have been screwed.
Now, we shall see. Indeed.

jodokus wrote:
It was actually three divisions against my three 39' infantry divisions.

After the intial panic and disorder it caused, I adjoin golly in Paradox, there must be some evil twist hidden somewhere, otherwise the whole thing makes no sense at all...

2x3, actually. And your guys were basically destroyed. What really helped was the fact that it was plains. I tried the same trick in a mountain prov just south of where I actually landed (you may have noticed), and that failed miserably.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell
jodokus
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 4:07:38 PM
 Generaloberst

Quote:
You are damned lucky my second landing in that place south of Luanda failed. Had those bajillion guys actually landed unopposed next to your capital, you would have been screwed.
Now, we shall see. Indeed

well its failure to assume Kongo's capital, with its near intimacy to the front WOULD NOT be heavily defended ...luck had nothing to do with it Wink
Quote:
2x3, actually. And your guys were basically destroyed

Yes, I had to disgracefully to put them on VoV...that destroyed the one division, and the two remaining ones died becouse they retreated to province allready captured.

Juan_de_Marco
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:03:38 AM
 Brigadier General

What is VoV?

By the way, great maps there KoM, good overview. And a very funny AAR with that one bomb, I felt it coming halfway through the story: this will not end 'according to plan'.. Big Grin great.

Also enjoyed the Russian AAR, it really is that way with the Russian weather, I've been there a couple of times and can completely imagine Russians accepting the ice as a decent highway Smile

/lurk
jodokus
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:09:40 AM
 Generaloberst

Victory or Valhalla... its a feature in AoD that makes the unit figth to the death...a nasty way to prolong desperate battles with cost. This time ... I don't actually know if it gave me any advantage ...atleast any i can speak of now when hostilities will still continue

BlitzMartinDK
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:37:08 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

jodokus wrote:
Victory or Valhalla... its a feature in AoD that makes the unit figth to the death...a nasty way to prolong desperate battles with cost. This time ... I don't actually know if it gave me any advantage ...atleast any i can speak of now when hostilities will still continue

It would have worked if you had been able to sink his transports, with planes, for example. Then VoV would have given you more time to do so. It also bought you time before he got inland. On the other hand, had they retreated earlier they MIGHT have gotten back before the retreat target was occupied?
Irsh Faq
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:51:32 AM
 Primus pilus

Just stopping by to say hi (although work schedule remains such that there is no chance of my rejoining or, probably, joining the next game). Looks like things are basically going exactly the same as last time I stopped by except with different front lines Tongue

Emperor of Ethiopia, High King of Ceylon, Pharaoh of Alexandria, Sultan of Arabia, Prince of Antioch and Damascus, Lord Protector of the Tamil Coast, Maharaja of Gujarat, Bhatara of Java and Sumatra, Archduke of Australia, Captain of the Cape of Storms, Autocrat of Carthage, Sea Lord of the East Pacific, Caliph of Baghdad, and Defender of the Ark of the Covenant.
danomite
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:51:55 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Irsh Faq wrote:
Just stopping by to say hi (although work schedule remains such that there is no chance of my rejoining or, probably, joining the next game). Looks like things are basically going exactly the same as last time I stopped by except with different front lines Tongue
Just bad timing Tongue we've had a some sessions where everything was going to hell in a hand basket (Japan attempted puppeting of Russia for example Tongue)

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain.
If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world,
because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past.
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:48:37 AM
 Legatus legionis

Hi Irsh! Perhaps we'll see you in the EU period of the next game. Smile

Read my blog.
Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
jodokus
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:17:34 AM
 Generaloberst

Quote:
It would have worked if you had been able to sink his transports, with planes, for example. Then VoV would have given you more time to do so. It also bought you time before he got inland. On the other hand, had they retreated earlier they MIGHT have gotten back before the retreat target was occupied?

Only reason I put them on VoV was to buy time to arrange reinforcements into area... None of them would have gotten into the battle, since next beach and its guards were miles away. Detering navy away in air force doesen't work in AoD, if the assaulter is ready to take casualties. For examble, I lost all the intiall ethiopian navy back in the greece evacuation just for using the capital ships as meatshields, and once playing Arma, My USA lost 20 capital ships on the D-day landings.... so I naturally expect similar determination and commitment from my opponents.

BlitzMartinDK
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:44:02 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

..hmm.. well : sinking that amount of capitals would be worth a few naval planes Big Grin
jodokus
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 5:34:37 PM
 Generaloberst

yea... in Arma, thats what your basic 40-60 strong TAC armada can do even without NAVs, taken that they can bomb the ships unmolested by the enemy air cover...
in this game, the naval attack from planes has been altered so that It has become rather moot to even invest ones spare resources to them

danomite
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:14:25 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

jodokus wrote:
yea... in Arma, thats what your basic 40-60 strong TAC armada can do even without NAVs, taken that they can bomb the ships unmolested by the enemy air cover...
in this game, the naval attack from planes has been altered so that It has become rather moot to even invest ones spare resources to them
Except when its used in conjunction with surface navies. My bombers were engaging targets that were also involved in various naval battles (usually with Catas surface fleet) up and down the coast, and I assure you they were alot more effective when used in a combined arms way. They were ridiculously OP in previous versions of the game - not even requiring air doctrines to be effective.

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain.
If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world,
because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past.