Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Their Finest Hour: Call to arms! Options · View
Alex_brunius
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:45:04 PM
 Hauptmann

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Hello!

Now TFH is released and I hope you are ready for a new MP game.

For start we need to to decide a day we play, I preffer if we can play weekly and if someone can't play every week we could have substitutes in each faction (after we got all majors covered).

I assume we use the same time as before (roughly 19:00 - 23:00 Swedish time IIRC), please comment on this aswell if this time doesn't suit you.

So what days can you play and do you want to play?
You can copy and use my format:

Mon: No
Tue: Yes
Wed: Yes (after 19:30)
Thu: No
Fri: Maybe
Sat: No (Maybe if we finish before 19:00)
Sun: Yes

And some other questions which might be good to answer (if you have an opinion):
- Do you want to use any modding? (Yes, No, lets at least balance reserves). More details about modding in the other thread and lets keep it there.
- Any rules we should run with except fair play?
- Communication, do we still have a TS server we can borrow?
- Anything else you can think of.
Praetori
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:04:52 PM
 Captain

I would prefer Tuesdays and preferably 19:30 (to get the kids to bed properly).
I could in theory start playing at any time although weekends are a big nono for my part as I'm often occupied.
JASGripen
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:49:37 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

Mon to wen is ok after 19.30

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives.
The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes.
The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.

//G. K. Chesterton
Marine
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 5:05:33 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Hi,

This is how I can play:

Mon: Yes(after 19.30.20.00)
Tue: Yes(after 19.30.20.00)
Wed: Yes(after 19.30.20.00)
Thu: Yes(after 19.30.20.00)
Fri: No
Sat: No
Sun: No

Some modding is maybe in it´s right place(like reserves and so.
More to come on rules

Some questions:
Are we going to use CGM or?
if CGM wich start Year?

We have to start picking countries as soon as we have some people

a TS server is need ,I just hope that we can still use the one we had Smile

/Roger(Marine)
Alex_brunius
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 8:42:16 AM
 Hauptmann

Great looks like we are enough people to play now! I also talked with Juv yesterday and he will ofcourse join us aswell. And Louise will join too.

I suggest we don't use CGM, but If everyone else thinks peacetime is boring and want to jump straight into 1939 and war I can ofcourse adapt.

I don't see any point in using CGM for 1936 scenario since if you don't have to build an army you can aswell disband everything you got and just build IC.

Also be aware that CGM will result in everyone disbanding their old fleets and replacing it with model 1940 or 1942 fleets instead, this kinds of ruins the historical feel IMO. If we use CGM I would suggest a rule against disbanding any fleet units for this reason (or it will go from a historical game to a fantasy what if all nations built no ships until the last day before war).

So let's try to fix a TS server and meet up on tuesday (2:nd oct) 19:30 then. We don't have to play (especially if someone can't join on such short notice) but we can talk about rules, modding, nation choices, setup and make sure everything works at least.

Who was it that managed to fix the TS server before? Think you can ask if we can borrow it yet again for panzerkrieg? Big Grin

I'll try to have a reserve fix mod ready for next week.
juv95hrn
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 12:30:12 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support Medal

I want to play.

I prefer wednesdays but I can do mondays and tuesdays as well. 19.00-00-00 works for me.

Maybe we can do twice a week some weeks when everyone can play?

I don't mind if we wait for the first patch for TFH to iron out any potential game killers.

I'm interested in playing UK, Germany, Italy, USSR, Japan, USA in that order.

I think we should go with 1936 historical start and not CGM. Its only 1-2 sessions to reach war in any case.

Any discussion on house rules?
Alex_brunius
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 7:35:59 PM
 Hauptmann

juv95hrn wrote:

I don't mind if we wait for the first patch for TFH to iron out any potential game killers.

Waiting for the first patch seems nice, looks like they will try to add one or two nice things too in addition to fixing bugs (can't say what due to NDA) Smile

They usually release it fairly quick in a week or a few after a new expansion.
Marine
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 10:49:26 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

What about espionage? What will be allowed to do ,now that you can to so much cool stuff?

/Marine
Alex_brunius
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 11:57:54 PM
 Hauptmann

Marine wrote:
What about espionage? What will be allowed to do ,now that you can to so much cool stuff?

Good question.

I don't see any problem with revealing stuff, that's what espionage is supposed to be about!

Raising threat (assuming it works like before) is the only mission I would want to ban, since it can have such huge impact on US war entry and Allied/Soviet peacetime laws.

Reports from the forum suggest that tech stealing is not really overpowered (most of the time it cost you more LS then just researching what you want) so we can probably allow experimenting with that too.
Praetori
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:18:00 PM
 Captain

After playing around for considerable time in TFH I would also like to say NO to CGM as you can do some pretty freaky stuff by going down that road.
The number of houserules we would need to keep a playable game would be deterring to just formulate in it self.

I don't think espionage will be a game-breaker but low LP nations are at a severe disadvantage and the new "scout" option makes armored breakthroughs absolutely terrifying to behold (there's no chance for a unit to avoid being overrun other than stacking divisions deep).

So I would vote for a '36 start with as few houserules as possible (most 'sploits are fixed or non-valid with TFH as it stands) although the "reserves" issue is something that still needs to be considered.
Alex_brunius
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:19:20 PM
 Hauptmann

Just uploaded the today's modding work (reducing the reserves issue among other things).

Also checked TS3, seems the server we borrowed is still up and got our channels, so I'll see you there on Tuesday 19:30.
juv95hrn
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 5:42:32 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Some sort of trade rule is probably still neccessary. The Allies can still starve the Axis pre-war since they know there will be a war. The Ai doesn't "know" this so it will trade.

I'm not sure reserves are as much an issue as before with higher prices for armour and artillery but I wish reserves cost 80-90% of a regular to build including reinforcing it, had less experience and cost less CGD and supplies in peace time as it advantage. The difference in total shouldn't be as big a it is now.
Redcoat
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 7:32:48 PM
 Tesserarius

One Year Membership Medal

Hello,
I hope youre summer was just as fine as mine! ;-)

Regarding rules, I will adapt to anything you say. I do however like the idea about having limited rules as a start. Modified files or not, the only important thing to me is to get enough time to play test them and to learn them before starting the game. I trust you all, you probably know the game better than me. I will adept to most if not all things.

Concerning my participation:
- For me, mondays or tuesday evenings are perfect. With some tweaking I might be able to play other days but not with 100% surtainity (every time).
- To me it is important "when" we plan to start the upcoming game. I will move to a new apartment at november 1st. The new apartment has 100 internet connection but I do not know how fast I will get this connection and how stable it will be. I might not be able to playtest alot before start. If you get a better player than me for a specific/important country, you should probably choose him and use me as a back-up.
- Prefered country, I would love to play the UK as a major (preferebly if starting-time is beyond nov 1st.) Otherwise I would play anything and be commanded by any player by your choice. I am flexible in all aspects.

Best regards
Redcoat

Marche pour les Suédois (Narvamarschen)
JASGripen
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 8:28:50 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

Shall we try to dig up some more players? If so, does it matter if they are newbies? To me it is ok with them in minor roles, it is after all best way of teaching new players how to play.

The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.

//G. K. Chesterton
juv95hrn
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:35:49 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I think we should start with filling up the 6 majors.

If we get more players they should fill in as co-ops and subs.

My latest experience is that with minors there can be some pointed fingers on game balance, usually that their own team is at a disadvantage no matter how much BS this is in reality. I therefore would prefer to go with only majors and co-ops but I'm flexible if the rest of the group wants minors.

Another advantage with co-ops and at least one flying sub per team is that we can play more often when players are missing (which if I remember correctly happened quite frequently in this group the last campaign.

Can you use the beta version for MP or do we need to go to Gamers Gate and buy it? I will of course do that but atm I have certain complications with my VISA and would prefer to sort these issues out before I can easily do any online purchases.

Do we start tonight, tuesday, or when is a good starting date?
Alex_brunius
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:07:36 PM
 Hauptmann

juv95hrn wrote:
I think we should start with filling up the 6 majors.

We got enough players I think already. Not many subs though.

Juv
Jas
Marine
Pretori
Redcoat
Alex
Louise

That's 7.

juv95hrn wrote:

Can you use the beta version for MP or do we need to go to Gamers Gate and buy it? I will of course do that but atm I have certain complications with my VISA and would prefer to sort these issues out before I can easily do any online purchases.

Do we start tonight, tuesday, or when is a good starting date?

Let's meet up on Teamspeak tonight at least and talk about Nation selection, Houserules, Modding and such.

I can help you out if you can't get your VISA to work, just let me know on skype.
Alex_brunius
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:00:59 AM
 Hauptmann

Yesterday 5 of our 7 turned up, but not much was added over what's been written here on the forums.

If everyone is OK with it I would like to start playing soon. How long do you think we should wait for a patch?

I think we should start playing the latest 16:th Oct (2weeks) with current version if no patch has been released yet. But if most of you want to start playing next week even if we get no patch I'm fine with that too.
Praetori
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 4:29:39 PM
 Captain

Alex_brunius wrote:
Yesterday 5 of our 7 turned up, but not much was added over what's been written here on the forums.

If everyone is OK with it I would like to start playing soon. How long do you think we should wait for a patch?

I think we should start playing the latest 16:th Oct (2weeks) with current version if no patch has been released yet. But if most of you want to start playing next week even if we get no patch I'm fine with that too.

Sorry I missed this totally (I'm not reading forums daily).
I'm still trying to get Besuchov (Thomas) to join up but he's pretty swamped due to appointment as Project-Lead for EU4 but then he hasn't given a definite "no" either Cool .
October 16 sounds fine for game start or even earlier. It would be nice to play with the patch though. Couldn't we do a '39 start if the patch hasn't arrived just to make a semi-test-run in MP and then go for a full game once the patch is released?
Alex_brunius
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 9:17:25 AM
 Hauptmann

Praetori wrote:
Sorry I missed this totally (I'm not reading forums daily).
I'm still trying to get Besuchov (Thomas) to join up but he's pretty swamped due to appointment as Project-Lead for EU4 but then he hasn't given a definite "no" either Cool .

How can he not want to playing in this awesome group? Smile

Praetori wrote:

October 16 sounds fine for game start or even earlier. It would be nice to play with the patch though. Couldn't we do a '39 start if the patch hasn't arrived just to make a semi-test-run in MP and then go for a full game once the patch is released?

Doubt that would shorten the campain alot though.

If I remember correctly last game we played was like 2 weeks to get to 39, and 10 weeks to finish up the war.

With all the improvements done to interface/army organization we may even finish up to 39 the first week we play!

I'm all for some unserious one week CGM madness next week however if the patch isn't here yet, A 1941 start so all get to play and then havoc just to test out some new units.
JASGripen
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:49:55 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

I got another experienced guy incoming (plays in Royal Carnage and Carnage al Dente). I hope he posts here within soon.

As it is now we are 8 players (with him). Perhaps we should tell what countries we want to play? Shall we do it by sending in our ranked top 3 by email as before, or shall we just post it casual here?

//G. K. Chesterton
Alex_brunius
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:18:18 PM
 Hauptmann

JASGripen wrote:
I got another experienced guy incoming (plays in Royal Carnage and Carnage al Dente). I hope he posts here within soon.

As it is now we are 8 players (with him). Perhaps we should tell what countries we want to play? Shall we do it by sending in our ranked top 3 by email as before, or shall we just post it casual here?

Sounds nice!

I think it's easiest to just post it here casually. We can talk about this and rules tonight if more people want to show up on Teamspeak.

My list would be:

1.) Germany
2.) Soviet
3.) UK
juv95hrn
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:36:43 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I will most likely travel to Iran on vacation between the 29th oct and 9th nov so I will miss 2 of the first sessions.

This means I can play the two first sessions and miss the 3rd and 4th, which probably is when war breaks out.

This is unfortunate. Maybe I should just get back and co-op with someone. Or at least play a less important nation like Italy which can be subbed easily while I am away.

I'm ready to go the 16th and my nation preferences (disregarding the info above) are stated earlier in teh thread.
JASGripen
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:46:05 PM
 2nd Lieutenant

juv95hrn wrote:
I will most likely travel to Iran on vacation between the 29th oct and 9th nov so I will miss 2 of the first sessions.

This means I can play the two first sessions and miss the 3rd and 4th, which probably is when war breaks out.

This is unfortunate. Maybe I should just get back and co-op with someone. Or at least play a less important nation like Italy which can be subbed easily while I am away.

I'm ready to go the 16th and my nation preferences (disregarding the info above) are stated earlier in teh thread.

You and I can team up Juv, if you like, we got enough players for that. I rather coop with someone as this autumn feels a bit hectic.

I could go with:
1) Italy
2) FRA -> USA (if we coop then you might be Nat. Chi again though)
3) UK

//G. K. Chesterton
Marine
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:44:38 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Hi there,

If we are allowed to play the USA from start ,then this is my list:

USA
UK
JAP(ITALY)

If not then:

FRA (-> goes US)
UK
JAP(ITALY)

This lists is not carved in stone of course Smile

JAP is a last one ,since I have not played JAP for over a year now or even longer.
So then I can play ITALY instead.

As you can see I´m not so experienced in playing Axis countries.

/Marine
Alex_brunius
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:47:54 PM
 Hauptmann

TS IP in case someone can't find it: 130.242.58.130