Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Their Finest Hour: Call to arms! Options · View
juv95hrn
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:33:48 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support Medal

I haven't heard anything regarding edits.

When do we start today? I will assume 19.30 or later.
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:28:36 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Yes we start ca 19.30 Smile

/Marine
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:39:05 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Hi,

I guess we all can´t get into the TS3 server, so we just have to wait and see if Preatori shows up soon.

/Marine
Alex_brunius
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:47:21 PM
 Hauptmann

Marine wrote:
Hi,

I guess we all can´t get into the TS3 server, so we just have to wait and see if Preatori shows up soon.

/Marine

I just heard from Jens (Praetori) on Skype and he is sadly totally bogged down at work and won't be able to play today Sad

Game is postponed since we really need a experienced player for Soviet in this critical moment. We need to find more Scandinavian players so we have at least one reliable stand in for every faction. Everyone ask your friends for next week Smile
Even if they are not experienced we can teach them and work to build up a more solid group long term.
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:53:16 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

OK , Then I will try and recruit some people and hope that some of them wants to play.

Next week then it is Smile

/Marine
Alex_brunius
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:52:54 AM
 Hauptmann

Alex_brunius wrote:
I feel that my action of dropping Paratroopers that eliminated around 10-15 soviet divisions at the opening days of the war was wrong and an exploit.
In total 4 divisions paratroopers was dropped behind the lines and I think all or most of them ended up in the path of retreating divisions causing them to be eliminated. My intention was to drop them 2 provinces behind the lines to make further retreats more difficult without exploiting paradrops (and one of the paratrooper divisions did do this almost getting encircled and destroyed itself in the process). But the front moved faster then I had expected and I was to stressed not wanting to pause or baby sit the divisions so the drops went off after normal delay without much control.

Regardless of if these Soviet divisions would have been destroyed anyways sooner or later by forth rushing German fast units I think eliminating them in the manner I did was wrong.

If Soviet and the Allies agree with this and want to edit in 1-2 corps of lost infantry and one of lost armor that is OK with me (by copying from pre Barbarossa savegame). You know yourself better then me about how many and what kind of units was destroyed by the Paradrops and what to edit in.

I also have a feeling this is in the interest of a more balanced game and Germany do want a real fight for Moscow and for the Soviet Motherland Smile

Another balance thing I thought about, The lend lease has not worked either right? One of my skype contacts from the German MP group had a look at the savegame, he suspected the problem was due to Leningrad being the destination port (bug) and tested cancelling the deal and signing it again. According to him this worked and assigned it to another port.

I don't know how many divisions a working lend lease would have represented but I am OK if the allies want to either edit savegame and trade a few (max 5) divisions 1:1 from US to USSR. A rough figure for how many INF divisions USSR could have received should be about 1 per 10 IC lost in Lend Lease by USA, since the war has been going on for roughly 3 months and that's the time it takes to build INF normally.
Marine
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 4:35:06 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Hi,

We have a Norwegian player at our Multi player section in the forum, maybe he can be something for us?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?433-HoI3-Multiplayer

/Marine
Praetori
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:12:29 PM
 Captain

Alex_brunius wrote:
Another balance thing I thought about, The lend lease has not worked either right? One of my skype contacts from the German MP group had a look at the savegame, he suspected the problem was due to Leningrad being the destination port (bug) and tested cancelling the deal and signing it again. According to him this worked and assigned it to another port.

I don't know how many divisions a working lend lease would have represented but I am OK if the allies want to either edit savegame and trade a few (max 5) divisions 1:1 from US to USSR. A rough figure for how many INF divisions USSR could have received should be about 1 per 10 IC lost in Lend Lease by USA, since the war has been going on for roughly 3 months and that's the time it takes to build INF normally.

I've already fixed the savegame. The number of divisions destroyed by paras was a good estimate (compared between two savegames).
I've done nothing about Leningrad, we'll cancel and work it out during the game.

When I went through the savegame I also noticed something VERY alarming. Most of the Soviet divisions haven't upgraded their techs from 1 (despite going full tilt on upgrades since '39) which explains alot. There's no way of fixing this in the savegame as it's too much data and VERY hard to judge how far they would have gotten normally but I'll manage. I suspect that this is either the starting divisions (as it's a lot of reserves) or that something else has happened previously, or it's possibly WAD (as I've gone through several mobilizations/de-mobilizations).

Anyway, in other news the TS server is down. Fixing it asap.
juv95hrn
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:32:57 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Strange. Did you prioritize the starting inf-divs? I managed to upgrade them to lvl IV-V as USSR in may 1940 when using the very useful new TFH feature of prioritzing entire corps at the same time (love it!). Without prioritizing them USSR has too much old junk that will be upgraded instead.

Unfortunately even lvl IV-V inf doesn't stand a chance against the German Panzers in my campiagn as well so I now better understand your frustration of facing Barbarossa in TFH. I was brazen and curious enough to try a FTM defense at the border (which has stopped the Germans cold more than once in FTM) even though my gut feeling told me that it was dangerous (esp. since my AT and TDs where still on their way to the front or in production. And boy was I right. I lost +50 divisions in the south within weeks when German divisions performed amazingly strong compared to FTM.

Well, Lend-Lease could help turn a struggling USSR around even if very far from the Polish border. It should be hard to enforce Bitter Peace against a human opponent in any case I suppose? The 3500 MP, Lend-Lease and decision defense bonus and German supply problems should make a long struggle possible I believe. I think the players morale playing the USSR might be the hardest thing when you feel totally outclassed by the Germans at the start of the conflict. But its pretty historicaal right?
juv95hrn
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:17:07 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I played the USSR in the thursday campaign. I foolishly defended at the border but still... the Germans just walked right over me. They were either attacking me, or I was retreating out of supply. My army just disintigrated within 1.5 months and there was nothing that could be done about it. I suppose you can save your army by defending very, very far back but Germany will just use Destiny later when you find the Red Army and roll over it. It should be possible to defend at the border, lose some forces and retreat with others. The current system is not fun nor functioning well.

Ahead of time tech and doctrines means nothing when you are the defender and must retreat to even out the line. It is impossible to perform a proper retreat without it deteroriating into a snow ball rout.
Praetori
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:17:15 PM
 Captain

I might be a bit late 2000hrs latest.
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:23:35 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Okay,

Sounds good.
I will also be ready at that time (putting 3 year old to bed Smile

/Marine
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:55:46 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I guess we just wait now then for Jens(Preatori) to show up Smile

/Marine
Alex_brunius
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:57:57 PM
 Hauptmann

Yes, looks like TS is down aswell.
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:59:17 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Yes and i guess that Jens will put it up as soon as he gets home .
Praetori
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:08:52 PM
 Captain

Marine wrote:
Yes and i guess that Jens will put it up as soon as he gets home .

Yup I'm home and struggling with the server. Should be up in 5.
Praetori
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:12:08 PM
 Captain

Praetori wrote:
Yup I'm home and struggling with the server. Should be up in 5.

Server is UP!
juv95hrn
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:23:24 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Again it was a nice session.

I would say the Axis came out a little bit ahead capturing Moscow and US losses in Europe was comparable to Japans losses in Asia. Spain and Italy took some minor losses but nothing to write home about.

I feel a bit sorry for Canada that might/probably will lose most of its army due to going AI mid-session and therefore not being able to evacuate in time.

The campaigns 3rd sub flotilla was also sunk.

Feel free to contribute to the minor AAR I'm keeping the general forums here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?639859-Historical-Scandinavian-Swedish-TFH-game-recruiting
Marine
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:15:51 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

It seams that there some people looking for a game with us on Paradox forum on our multi player tread .
How to deal with them at this stage in the game ?

/Marine
juv95hrn
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:24:21 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I only have this game going on now so I could be looking to set up a second one (I like to play twice a week).

I don't mind adding more people as minors in the current campaign if you all are fine with it.

Canada should examine a save and tell us how he wants to deal with his forces outside Barcelona. They could easily have been evacuated under human control. Now they might be totally destroyed which would make Canada quite boring to play I believe.
juv95hrn
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:13:24 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Nice session but with heavy UK naval losses.

Could it really be right I sunk 6 Italian SS flotillas last session? The losses ledger shows it but I only got a message for one of them. I know there was some very heavy fighting and bombing of subs so it wouldn't really be that surprising.
Praetori
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 11:42:49 AM
 Captain

It was indeed a good session. The Axis forces are really bringing the fight on the Eastern Front and I'm having a blast despite losing divisions and ground left and right.
Praetori
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:59:25 PM
 Captain

I will be late tomorrow due to "Föräldrarmöte". Should be ready by 2000hrs though.
Praetori
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:08:03 PM
 Captain

Just got home, gimme a few minutes. TS server had rebooted and TS was not on autostart, fixed now however.
juv95hrn
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:33:40 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Not sure how Tirpitz managed to charge my CTF and sink one modern CV and damage one to 1%. Maybe there were subs there? All other ships were out of ORG so shouldn't the CVs have retreated since they are faster than the SHBB?

Not sure how 3 Italian SS could sail into the full Mediterranean fleet and sink 2 LC when I have CVL, CV, DD protecting them, all ahead of time in ASW. The result of those sinkings (as impossible as that would have been in vanilla) will now result in me not being able to evacuate troops from Greece as planned. That makes it twice as annoying.

I'm honestly getting very tired of SS being too powerful in this campaign and being used exclusively as a vs. surface ship wunderwaffe you can do nothing about. Slightly unbalanced would be fine but it is really impossible to counter their hit and run tactics with their current stats. I'm honestly annoyed with this happening over and over. We clearly made a mistake when setting the stats. Shouldn't we try to work around the problem to find a solution instead of exploiting it to the max? SS should be able to outperform surface vessels once in a while. Now they do it in every encounter.