Great Game V: Prisoners of the Earth, bound are the earth Options · View
Gollevainen
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:29:20 PM
 Legatus legionis

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 50,000th Forum Post

But I'm your friend Anders...right?Confused

FÜR DEN SCHUTZ DER ARBEITER UND BAUERN MACHT

Irsh Faq wrote:
I've noted with Golle a trend of stirring up as much drama publicly as he can whenever he's up to something shady in the background. Presumably its a smokescreen strategy.
Anders
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:44:21 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Gollevainen wrote:
But I'm your friend Anders...right?Confused

If the last game we two played together was a boardgame, you'd still be in a fetal position, bleeding from your anus.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Gollevainen
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:48:32 PM
 Legatus legionis

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 50,000th Forum Post

all that hate for one colony...a colony which you could have easily retake in that same war...

FÜR DEN SCHUTZ DER ARBEITER UND BAUERN MACHT

Irsh Faq wrote:
I've noted with Golle a trend of stirring up as much drama publicly as he can whenever he's up to something shady in the background. Presumably its a smokescreen strategy.
oddman
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:17:46 PM
 Admiral

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Anders wrote:
Two major issues with comparing it to a boardgame with your friends:
1) You cannot physically beat on people for cheating.
2) None of these people are your "friends", except possibly in the way people you don't know all that well on fb are your "friends".

1) No, but you can (and IMHO should) ban them.
2) I also play Diplomacy with relative strangers, and the comparison still holds. Substitute 'friends' for 'people interested in this game,' then.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell
Anders
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:45:50 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Gollevainen wrote:
all that hate for one colony...a colony which you could have easily retake in that same war...

Full Eunuch- and bureaucrat-faction sliders do not enable wars in any meaningful way.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

jodokus
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:55:18 PM
 Generaloberst

Quote:
Full Eunuch- and bureaucrat-faction sliders do not enable wars in any meaningful way.

meaaooowww!
prrrrrrr
meaaww!

BlitzMartinDK
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:54:21 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

I am not really talking about wether the ppl. I play with play "fair" or not. "Fair" is just something we invented. It's not some kind of Law of Nature. There will be many different interpretations of it.

I am talking about the insidius distrust, that can kill all fun if you have no way to get rid of it!

So having a rule, that is impossible to control, makes for distrust.

And if you have started NOT trusting somebody, then everytime they are a bit lucky, or skilled, you will wonder: did they cheat? And just by wondering, you have already answered in the affirmative to yourself, thus INCREASING your level of distrust!

So -no matter wether your opponent is cheating or not!- distrust WILL arise if rules are not clear and enforceable!
Irsh Faq
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:15:49 PM
 Primus pilus

BlitzMartinDK wrote:
So having a rule, that is impossible to control, makes for distrust.

Problem is that hoi2 - every part, but most especially anything to do with navies - just doesn't work if you can look at the other guy's positions. eu3 model can survive that, hoi2 doesn't work if you can bomb exactly the port his damaged ship just slipped into, look at what province his subs are in, find where his transports are going, etc.

Emperor of Ethiopia, High King of Ceylon, Pharaoh of Alexandria, Sultan of Arabia, Prince of Antioch and Damascus, Lord Protector of the Tamil Coast, Maharaja of Gujarat, Bhatara of Java and Sumatra, Archduke of Australia, Captain of the Cape of Storms, Autocrat of Carthage, Sea Lord of the East Pacific, Caliph of Baghdad, and Defender of the Ark of the Covenant.
Frosty
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:00:02 PM
 Major General

Irsh Faq wrote:
Problem is that hoi2 - every part, but most especially anything to do with navies - just doesn't work if you can look at the other guy's positions. eu3 model can survive that, hoi2 doesn't work if you can bomb exactly the port his damaged ship just slipped into, look at what province his subs are in, find where his transports are going, etc.

Or for that matter preposition your AT where his armoured breakthrough is headed. We'd be reduced to grindfest and no chance for breakthroughs or strategic surprise.

Jakalo wrote:
You sir shame us in the eyes of the rest of the world.

King of Men wrote:
  • Frosty AAR: Stab. Stab, STAB, SLASH, KILL!

• el_zilcho321 wrote:
    God I hate Frosty.
    jodokus
    Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:10:52 PM
     Generaloberst

The cheating was indeed bit unnoying factor during this game. I personally enjoy the very fact that I don't know, and that I get suprised, and that i have to actually play to get to know (inteligence cathering ingame means)....there are just so much part of hoi, that I myself cannot understand why someone would want to spoil it by checking the other nation in SP.

then again all the accused and few of the not covered cases, the cheating by this certain random annonimity was always about the number of enemy troops in total or in tactical situation. And its rather annoying to play when someone shouts: "they have X number of troops there, so you can do this and that..." What has been heard, cannot be unheard, and intentionally ignore that knowledge is also pretty impossible when figthing a war. Me and Golly always argued over this to this certain random annomimity among our ranks, but when the opposite side hold all the GM spots, and in general our impression of them was close to be descriped as "one big annoying self-rigthneus smug", it didn't really inspire us to report those other cases any futher. Last thing that the game would have needed was more internet drama over possible banning of this certain random annonimity... and all punishments made by players in war against us, would have hurted our game directly and I think It would have eventually just let even more premature ending of the game. Me and Golly atleast did not make any grand strategical decissions regarding this dissident information, nor that it actually was anything big importance anyways...atleast to us. What this certain random annonimity did with this, I can only quess...if I would dare to.
    ...Tougtht after hearing how much troops "they" had on the easter front did made it lot easier to realise the hoplessness of African situation

King of Men
    Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:29:20 PM
     Legatus legionis

Quote:
    Last thing that the game would have needed was more internet drama over possible banning of this certain random annonimity...

Believe it or not, this was pretty much our attitude as well. In the end we were just rolling our eyes and saying "Fine, game will be over soon, we're winning anyway."

Read my blog.
    Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
    jodokus
    Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:35:47 PM
     Generaloberst

Yea i don't think that even with proper spartanist cheats with capital C, we could have won the game.

Anders
    Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:23:12 AM
     Generalfeldmarschall

Can the GM please ask Ederon to make us a separate sub-forum?

King of Men wrote:
    Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
    Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

danomite
    Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:52:24 AM
     Tribunus laticlavius

jodokus wrote:
    The cheating was indeed bit unnoying factor during this game. I personally enjoy the very fact that I don't know, and that I get suprised, and that i have to actually play to get to know (inteligence cathering ingame means)....there are just so much part of hoi, that I myself cannot understand why someone would want to spoil it by checking the other nation in SP.

+1. Its what made the pacific fun using my spies who constantly told me where the enemy shipping or ships were. No need to cheat if you use spies Tongue I know our side wasn't cheating, if we were we would have been a far more aggressive given the info we found after actually looking at the other side lol Tongue

King of Men wrote:
    Believe it or not, this was pretty much our attitude as well. In the end we were just rolling our eyes and saying "Fine, game will be over soon, we're winning anyway."
    Yeah, you will certainly see that in our threads somewhere...

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain.
    If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world,
    because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past.
    Irsh Faq
    Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 12:58:48 AM
     Primus pilus

Well for time being seeing as the timing doesn't seem to work out I'll bow out of the CK phases. Maybe I'll join you in eu3 if things are better.

Also I still cannot post in diplo room 4. Sad

Emperor of Ethiopia, High King of Ceylon, Pharaoh of Alexandria, Sultan of Arabia, Prince of Antioch and Damascus, Lord Protector of the Tamil Coast, Maharaja of Gujarat, Bhatara of Java and Sumatra, Archduke of Australia, Captain of the Cape of Storms, Autocrat of Carthage, Sea Lord of the East Pacific, Caliph of Baghdad, and Defender of the Ark of the Covenant.
    Fivoin
    Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 5:44:14 PM
     General

Anders wrote:
    Can the GM please ask Ederon to make us a separate sub-forum?

Good idea. A sub-forum would make all these votings we're having easier. Could you talk to Ederon about it, KoM?
    The Professor
    Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 6:18:31 PM
     General of the Army

Dano was proposing that we organize it as a "Megacampaign" Subforum; for any discussions regarding the commonality of the two games, with two subforums, one for the Saturday game, and the other for Sunday.

Their game can only exist to be won.
    Then so be it who else can see it done.
    Ederon
    Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:25:04 AM
     Field Major

Fivoin wrote:
    Good idea. A sub-forum would make all these votings we're having easier. Could you talk to Ederon about it, KoM?

Do you want sub-forum in CotF or new forum on same level as CotF? Name?
    Fivoin
    Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:31:38 PM
     General

I was thinking on the same level as CotF. The name for the CK period seems to be "God Will Know His Own" so I guess the name would be GWKHO.
    Anders
    Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:22:29 PM
     Generalfeldmarschall

Four days left to prepare. Need more decisiveness regarding how to do things.

King of Men wrote:
    Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
    Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

High Elder Ike
    Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:29:22 PM
     Legatus legionis

Anders wrote:
    Four days left to prepare. Need more decisiveness regarding how to do things.

Well with this rate we better postpone the start by at least six months.

[center]"Earthquakes are simply mother nature having a orgasm when she listens to March of the Penguins"
    Ederon
    Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:59:48 AM
     Field Major

New forum is here: http://forums.ederon.net/default.aspx?g=topics&f=197

Once you confirm you moved there, I'll move CotF to concluded games section.

KoM, fasq, OrangeYosi were made moderators there, same as in this forum.
    The_Carbonater
    Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:38:45 PM
     Leutnant

von_Rundstedt wrote:
    Why did you have to post your threads in the CKII forum? Now I can't read the drama.

+1, this gives me the sad.