Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The Russian Revolution of 1917 and its consequences Options · View
Anders
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 12:34:47 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

What, in your opinion, were the driving forces behind the Russian revolution of 1917, and what were the immediate and long-term consequences?

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
jodokus
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:36:59 PM
 Generaloberst

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

the repression of the working class and the unequal distribution of the tools of production!

High Elder Ike
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:54:33 PM
 Legatus legionis

Taxation of tea? Or vodka?

[center]"Earthquakes are simply mother nature having a orgasm when she listens to March of the Penguins"
Altaris
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:09:41 PM
 1st Lieutenant

Which one you referring to? February or October?

The February one is easy. The Tsar and his gov't was atrociously corrupt, ineffective, and abhorrent to changing the status quo, which already had created great grievances in a growing but suppressed working and middle class.
Throw on that the volatile mix of the horrid losses Russia suffered in WW1, mostly due to ineffective gov't and army management. The Tsar taking command of the army also directly linked him to the blunders of the army.
The final straw was the ordering of Petrograd soldiers (recruited locally) to suppress the Petrograd riots by force... predictably, it led to revolution before local men began turning on their starving families.

The October one is more open-ended, and more tragic, IMO. Had Russia not been embroiled in WW1, I think it would've progressed very similar to France's revolutions, with a lot of conflict between the left and right, but ultimately ending up somewhere in the middle.
In all my readings on this time period, the initial revolution was very much in the vein of the French view of democracy/republic (the soviets were basically democratic assemblies for local groups at the start). It was the continuation of the war that undid the progress made here... had Kerensky gotten out of WW1, I think democracy would've survived in Russia.
The Bolsheviks weren't very popular to begin with, the key to their success was the promise to get out of the war, and most importantly for winning over the peasantry, the commitment to land reform and demolishing the "land-owner" class - that was something the old serfs could somewhat unite behind.

Then along came the Russian Civil War, and it was even worse on the Russian people. I think by the time it was over, most of Russia was willing to accept just about anything for a period of stability. I also wonder if this had some to do with why Stalin was able to solidify his grip over the 30's... the memory of those horrible years being so fresh that people preferred a dictator to more massive strife, death, and destruction.