Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Concluding Struggling Leaders First Chapter Options · View
Ederon
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:32:30 PM
 Field Major

With recent events and coming summer, which is time of vacations and holidays, it's probably time to conclude first chapter. If I may, here is what comes out of it for me:

• there is quite some interest in such a game, which was expressed by over 20 people participating
  • it can be fun to struggle also within countries - UK proved that
  • lack of support tools and dead opportunities for regular citizens kill the game in long run
  • hamachi can be pain too Big Grin
  • correspondents totaly failed, except few bright moments Mr.G had
  • Victoria is real distractor it seems Smile

Please post AARs yet before we burry this one. We can continue with game, just not with all the SL backing. If you feel something different, I'm ready to continue.
  • sonofliberty
    Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:42:24 PM
    Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

I think chapter one is over, the allies missed numerous opportunities. Viss had excellent play, and schu probably learned something about protecting japan. Mr G went with my plan to take out japan, but there was no follow through. I believe we could have taken and held the japanese home islands. I learned how mp is totally different, and time is the main problem(and my poor connection). In sp when I need time to think or react, I hit pause. I made a couple bad assumptions especially about the km being dead. It was an interesting experience, and when we do it again I want usa from the beginning. I suspect insane gained some respect for stalin in the game anyway. Overall, it was a worthwhile experience. Ederon said " Victoria is real distractor it seems " And it was true, though I did not expect to be playing.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

There is a new game on the way Project Blitzkrieg
    sonofliberty
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 6:59:44 PM
    Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

Here is an idea, viss and insane in an unholy alliance vs the rest of the world.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Ederon
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 7:59:18 PM
     Field Major

sonofliberty wrote:
    Here is an idea, viss and insane in an unholy alliance vs the rest of the world.

Or rather total war - everyone against everyone Smile
    Gen.Schuermann
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:12:31 PM
     Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

We could still try the Armageddon scenario in between chapters. I find it to be quite interesting. For some reason, I WANT INDOCHINA FIRST!!! lol... yay

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
    Vissarion
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:17:56 PM
     Lieutenant General

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 14000th Post

Honestly I'd be more interested in an EU3 game.. But I'd also do armageddon, would it be best to use the no alliances scenario, for some diplomacy and international intrigue?

boing boom tschak, boing boom tschak
    peng
    zong
    Gen.Schuermann
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:22:15 PM
     Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

EU3? No firearms = nono.

Vissarion
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:38:10 PM
     Lieutenant General

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 14000th Post

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
    EU3? No firearms = nono.
    Sure there are firearms.

peng
    zong
    Ederon
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:45:45 PM
     Field Major

Vissarion wrote:
    Honestly I'd be more interested in an EU3 game.. But I'd also do armageddon, would it be best to use the no alliances scenario, for some diplomacy and international intrigue?

That is Abbys, right?

And EU3: sure, I haven't spent much time with it yet and it has potential. But I'd say let's wait till 1.3 patch, it should be around soon.
    Vissarion
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:54:09 PM
     Lieutenant General

It will probably be out next week, which is when I can engage in a new game. Depends on how many players we could gather, though.

peng
    zong
    Vissarion
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:55:35 PM
     Lieutenant General

So are the Allies caving in in the SL game? Did they really lose that big part of their army in Austria?

peng
    zong
    sonofliberty
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:17:31 PM
    Free Man

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
    We could still try the Armageddon scenario in between chapters. I find it to be quite interesting. For some reason, I WANT INDOCHINA FIRST!!! lol... yay

Did they fix the cag bug? I was waiting to buy until it was fixed.

sonofliberty
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:18:46 PM
    Free Man

Vissarion wrote:
    So are the Allies caving in in the SL game? Did they really lose that big part of their army in Austria?
    Usa had 6 manpower left.

Vissarion
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:23:12 PM
     Lieutenant General

sonofliberty wrote:
    Usa had 6 manpower left.
    Not surprising, with the amount of infantry divisions they built. Anyway, I'd like Blodwens opinion before the game is concluded.

peng
    zong
    sonofliberty
    Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:47:21 PM
    Free Man

Vissarion wrote:
    Not surprising, with the amount of infantry divisions they built. Anyway, I'd like Blodwens opinion before the game is concluded.
    Absolutely, leave it to conte and blod. They are hog's. I think the best that could be achieved is a stalemate lasting the rest of the game that would give the axis a points victory. As an old chess player, I know when to tip my king. Part of me wants to continue the fight for the challenge of pulling it out, but I recognise the weakness of the current position There are ways I would use IRL to pull it out. Such tactics would be considered "gamey". Without that, the best we could hope for is stalemate. I would prefer to play from the beginning myself, using my knowledge of the usa to the max. You and schu are good oponents, worthy of the best game I can give you. I would like to try again with blod as uk, and maybe conte as france or the rest of the dominion. Hopefully insane has learned his lessons, or perhaps someone else could play sov. You are great players, and I would like to test my skills against yours.

Vissarion
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:37:16 AM
     Lieutenant General

Thanks for the kind words. I very much understand your lack of interest in staying aboard a sinking ship you did not set the course for yourself, and that you want to start over. I'm also interested in starting it over again, but it will take some time before the system is complete. For the next game we can hopefully also have an Italy player. If you (sol) are head of USA, Conte could take Italy, as I understand is his life-long dream.

peng
    zong
    Insane
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:49:09 PM
     1st Lieutenant

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Hey hey! I was just about to bring out the nukes!

Konstantin Insanovitj - Secretary general of CPSU
    sonofliberty
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:26:44 PM
    Free Man

Vissarion wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words. I very much understand your lack of interest in staying aboard a sinking ship you did not set the course for yourself, and that you want to start over. I'm also interested in starting it over again, but it will take some time before the system is complete. For the next game we can hopefully also have an Italy player. If you (sol) are head of USA, Conte could take Italy, as I understand is his life-long dream.
    Sounds good, though for balance we would then also need a french and preferably a good chinese player. However more countries = more players = more problems getting together. Insane do you want to try sov again? If so will you now be more "stalinistic".

Vissarion
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:32:10 PM
     Lieutenant General

sonofliberty wrote:
    Sounds good, though for balance we would then also need a french and preferably a good chinese player. However more countries = more players = more problems getting together. Insane do you want to try sov again? If so will you now be more "stalinistic".

Germany, Italy and Japan vs UK, USA and Soviet is a good balance.

peng
    zong
    sonofliberty
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:05:18 PM
    Free Man

Vissarion wrote:
    Germany, Italy and Japan vs UK, USA and Soviet is a good balance.
    Only if sov is an "ally" not a fair weather friend.

sonofliberty
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:15:23 PM
    Free Man

A quick question, do many players find usa as hard to play as conte did? If so why?

Gen.Schuermann
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:42:53 PM
     Generalfeldmarschall

Even though i never played the US, i just cannot imagine the US being hard. At all. You can basically afford to build an UBER navy, a tank/mot/mec/marines only army. Oh, and an airforce as mighty as the good lord himself.

Vissarion
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:43:18 PM
     Lieutenant General

sonofliberty wrote:
    A quick question, do many players find usa as hard to play as conte did? If so why?

Every country is hard to play the first time. When I play a new country like I did with Germany this time I always do some research and try to prepare by finding out what the strengths and limitations of that country are. I'm not sure I could have done a better job than Conte did. In any case I'd get advice (Schuer played Germany in the last Monday game so he had some tips) and as always close cooperation with one's allies is important.

peng
    zong
    sonofliberty
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:56:04 PM
    Free Man

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
    Even though i never played the US, i just cannot imagine the US being hard. At all. You can basically afford to build an UBER navy, a tank/mot/mec/marines only army. Oh, and an airforce as mighty as the good lord himself.
    I think you would have the same trouble as conte. Usa is it's own special system. I find germany, italy, and france much "easier" to play. Japan is only equal difficulty due to it's resource issues. I have never played uk, so I don't know thier tricks. I don't like china. Well next time we play you will hopefully see usa in all it's glory.:-d

Gen.Schuermann
    Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:34:15 PM
     Generalfeldmarschall

As mostly playing low IC nations only, i find it hard to believe that the US is hard. I have to allocate every tidbit IC there is, and just cannot imagine the US being hard, with all that IC to spare.