Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

How to not fail in academia Options · View
Anders
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 9:48:59 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

It is my experience, as a long-time student at the academic institution today known as the ‘University of BLANK’, that there are as many, if not more, ways to fail a course than there are to pass it. You can fail by failing to show up for your exam, fail to pass an exam, fail to do compulsory homework, or fail to attend where attendance is compulsory. It is my experience that students who submit their papers by the deadline, also usually pass their exams.

To pass a written exam or home assignment, like an essay, you generally only have to deliver whatever you are asked to deliver, normally an answer to a question. This is relatively easy in many cases, as you are often not required to follow a strict formula for your answer, nor to give a pre-determined answer; as long as you argue the case sufficiently. Arguing the pros and cons of an issue, without really knowing anything about it, and finding in favour of whatever side seems to be the most logical one, is often a safe way to get at least a ‘C’ for your grade. And while this grade might not seem rewarding to many, it is certainly better than failing.

One piece of advice I always give my own students, and which more of my fellow students should be aware of, is on how to avoid plagiarism, and to avoid sourcing to Wikipedia. Plagiarism is easily avoided, unless you are trying to pass off an entire dissertation or essay as your own. To plagiarise without setting off red alarm bells when the essay or dissertation goes through the mandatory “plagiarism check”, you can very simply rephrase the sentences you borrowed. And if you’re afraid of being caught paraphrasing, just add a little "*" with the source after the sentence or section. Chances are high the censor will not be bothered to look up all your references for confirmation, which brings me to another big “do” for aspiring academic writers: use many, many sources and references. A very easy way to find sources is through the barely aforementioned Wikipedia. At the bottom of each Wiki-article is a list of references, and while it’s generally frowned upon to reference a Wikipedia article, there’s virtually no problem in using the article’s references as if they were your own.
Thus you save yourself a tremendous amount of time trawling through your curriculum for the same answers.

* Footnote

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Yahmik
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 9:53:49 PM
 Optio

You didn't just copypaste that from somewhere, did you?
Anders
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 9:56:12 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Yahmik wrote:
You didn't just copypaste that from somewhere, did you?

Why would that matter?

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Yahmik
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 10:30:59 PM
 Optio

Anders wrote:
Why would that matter?

It wouldn't. Apart from copyright violation and stuff Big Grin