Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Victoria Revolutions Options · View
Hytzon
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:36:39 PM
 Brigadier General

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Those of us who wishes to start a Victoria Revolutions game, instead af a regular HoI2, should start discussing the game rules. :-)

- By now we are all aware of the split bug and the pause action must be taken to counter this. Since this does not work everytime a few reloads
will be necessary in the start of the game. Later on splitting doesn't occur that much, so it will propably be enough with the usual crashes->reloads.

- Tech trading should be allowed, as it brings a ressearch point penalty to the one who took the tech. There is a method where the tech giver will get this penalty and such trading should be avoided.

- Wars are handled differently in this time period and alliances were much more fluid. Be reasonable when making demands in peace negotiations.

- We should also try to do decide which countries to play before game start. I haven't played Victoria MP before, but I wonder if some countries are considered "gamey".
I am thinking of countries like USA and Great Britain. We should at least thrive towards some sort of a balance in powers.

- If all goes well and the game still has an interesting setup by the end of 1935, we should consider converting the game to DD. There are some problems with the converter, but a tool exist
to correct some of the wierdness like manpower allocation etc. We can discuss this later, as we just need to get the basic game going now.

Countries I'd like to play, and why: Japan - becoming civilized and trying to catch up with western nations. Two Sicilies - uniting Italy and again try to catch up. Brazil - Becoming a dominant power in South America.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Anders
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:26:02 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

I'd like Russia -because I already tried that in MP, and it wasn't too hard the first few years, Austria or France for a challenge, or China, just to kick some round-eye butt.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 8:39:08 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

i'd like Japan, even if it means to be uncivilized for 20 years...

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
M&M
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:36:03 PM
 General

My preferences are sweden, ottoman empire and brazil. If sufficient players join and all important countries are filled I might like to play egypt Smile
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:00:18 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

M&M wrote:
My preferences are sweden, ottoman empire and brazil. If sufficient players join and all important countries are filled I might like to play egypt Smile

sweden seems to be pretty imba :-d

Did anyone read the Sweden conquer the orld AAR on the main forums? quite astounding. And i still need to find out get more ppl besides population growth into my country. Any quick guides on how to do that?
The more I play it, the more i like it. Especially because you can turn minors into biggies, something you cannot do in hoi2, sadly.

Lol my last game as Argentina i was overrun by bolivia because i wanted to annex em, was short of 1 province when the half of bolivia revolted, crushed my armies and encircled my capital... yay

Ah, and another thing: How, for example, can i change, once a democracy, back to say dictatorship? I hate to have a nation conquered and want the ppl to get assimilated, but all i got are parties (that get voted for) who only have limited citizenship for those?

And is there a way to control factory building (or gain it back) once i am on free trade (or laissez-faire?)?

Oh boy, i must play it again! Schuer

Ederon
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:04:30 PM
 Field Major

So many questions Felix. IIRC (haven't played Victoria since last time we tried it) VickyWicky is good resource with tutorials and guides. You can find link in Vicky links, one folder up.
Mr. Sljivovic
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 12:01:17 AM
 Corporal

Quote:
Ah, and another thing: How, for example, can i change, once a democracy, back to say dictatorship? I hate to have a nation conquered and want the ppl to get assimilated, but all i got are parties (that get voted for) who only have limited citizenship for those?

You can get back to dictatorship by chosing reforms suitable to one, like press rights, public meetings, voting rights etc. Check the VickyWiki as Ederon said if you want to be sure exactly what to do, but i usually just diminish their rights generally and it works. Keep in mind that you get quite some militancy fiddeling around too mutch like that.

I wouldnt change from democracy to dictatorship depending on your wars tho, you should let your plurarity guide you, and the way you need to manage your economy. But thats just my opinion Tongue

Quote:
And is there a way to control factory building (or gain it back) once i am on free trade (or laissez-faire?)?

Not unless you change the ruling party. But ive read about some tricks you can use to "make" your capitalists more likely to build something you want. I havent tried it, but they seem to be building factories that have good profit, and also by demand on the world market. So if you see that your capitalists have near the amount of money they need to build something you can put an order of 9999 units of the stuff you want built. Tricking your capitalists that there is a huge demand for it hehe. But it can be costly if there actually is units for sale.

Its easier tho to just do like me, be interventionist the entire game! Evil Grin

Нама Добро а Никоме Зло - Kraljevo
Hytzon
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 3:01:33 PM
 Brigadier General

As I wrote earlier, the ingame converter is not that good. Gotikiller have made a ressource converter, which add up for a lot of the missing things. But today I found this converter VicToHoI2_1.03 and it seems much better. I like the way IC translation is done, and it works perfectly with DD. Thumbs Up
I see that GenS also have his eyes set on Japan and since I know he loves that nation more than anything, I think I will drop my claim on it Smile
A new country to consider could be Spain or maybe China (Just to spice up the Asian hemisphere) One Tooth Grin

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
M&M
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 6:00:29 PM
 General

Quote:
sweden seems to be pretty imba

The only nation I tried playing was brazil, and since that isn't in europe I opted for the next best thing Big Grin. So I would prefer to play sweden possibly since everything seemed to go well in an SP run I just tried.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:34:40 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Hytzon wrote:
As I wrote earlier, the ingame converter is not that good. Gotikiller have made a ressource converter, which add up for a lot of the missing things. But today I found this converter VicToHoI2_1.03 and it seems much better. I like the way IC translation is done, and it works perfectly with DD. Thumbs Up
I see that GenS also have his eyes set on Japan and since I know he loves that nation more than anything, I think I will drop my claim on it Smile
A new country to consider could be Spain or maybe China (Just to spice up the Asian hemisphere) One Tooth Grin

Hehe, must have overread that you claimed it... ooopsy Wink
Anyway, Two Sicilies seems to be fun. Lot's of fighting, a country to unite, and and and...

Another thing not quite answered: How to spur (sp?) immigration. In my argentina, i had like 30.000 southern germans, however i do not know how i got em in the first place. Any idea?

Hytzon
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:43:02 PM
 Brigadier General

Gen.Schuermann wrote:

Hehe, must have overread that you claimed it... ooopsy Wink
Anyway, Two Sicilies seems to be fun. Lot's of fighting, a country to unite, and and and...

Another thing not quite answered: How to spur (sp?) immigration. In my argentina, i had like 30.000 southern germans, however i do not know how i got em in the first place. Any idea?

I believe Argentinia have some hardcoded immigration, other than that keep up good social reforms and a party with full citizenship.

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:21:47 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

So from that i get that a dictatorial regime with full citizenship and advanced social reforms would be perfect for me? I am sold!

M&M
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:52:30 PM
 General

all new world nations have a much higher chance of immigration than the rest of the world. Ofcourse the better you make your nation the more appealing it will be for immigrants.

Are we starting next monday ? Cause few have replied and not that many nations are taken. Also I believe when we last tried Vicky Revolutions nobody had i nstalled the hotfixes, so should we install those ? We need to sort this stuff out asap before the session begins if we're starting next monday.

Ederon, are you with us in this ?

Hytzon
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:14:59 PM
 Brigadier General

I think it would be wise to use the hotfixes by OHGamer, all 4 of them can be found in one pack here

Anders
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:59:50 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

I'll install the hotfixes for monday. Definately Russia for me; Austria and France have crappy economies.
By the way, have anyone else noticed that steel and furniture is hard to come by in the 1836 scenario?

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:56:37 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Looks like we have the following ppl now:

Anders
Hytzon
M&M
Mr.Sljivovic
Lord Ederon
GeneralSchürmann

That's 6 ppl already, if Ederon doesnt wanna participate thats 5 as well.
That's at least a start. I too installed the hotfixes, let's see what it brings.

@Anders: Yes, steel is really hard to come by. In my latest Japan scenario (It's 1910 already) I have large shipyards and artillery factories, and only 3 steel plants. I needed to buy steel of the world market, and tell you what, it ain't happening. I get that stupid factory sign on the top left, me lacking steel to properly build ships and artillery sheels. Guess that's the price you pay for being laissez faire the whole game long...
Although, i do not have any problems with furniture/clothes throughout the game. My Japan in 1910 must be the new IKEA of the world at that time. Out of 50 factories or so at least 30 seem to work in that direction Wink Good that the converters dont care what type of factories you have, my war ecenomy in 1936 would be pretty... lame Big Grin

Ederon
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:21:09 PM
 Field Major

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
@Anders: Yes, steel is really hard to come by. In my latest Japan scenario (It's 1910 already) I have large shipyards and artillery factories, and only 3 steel plants. I needed to buy steel of the world market, and tell you what, it ain't happening. I get that stupid factory sign on the top left, me lacking steel to properly build ships and artillery sheels. Guess that's the price you pay for being laissez faire the whole game long...
Although, i do not have any problems with furniture/clothes throughout the game. My Japan in 1910 must be the new IKEA of the world at that time. Out of 50 factories or so at least 30 seem to work in that direction Wink Good that the converters dont care what type of factories you have, my war ecenomy in 1936 would be pretty... lame Big Grin

Using wooden weapons might prove benefical, at least for people in the region Big Grin

I don't know whether to play or not. I simply can't guarantee my availability for next 3 months. But if you would tolerate my occasional unavailability, I'm in.
Hytzon
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:54:16 PM
 Brigadier General

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
Looks like we have the following ppl now:
Good that the converters dont care what type of factories you have, my war ecenomy in 1936 would be pretty... lame Big Grin

Well that depends on which converter we use, I suggest you try both P'dox and the one I posted above. I actually like MontyP's converter more, and it definatly takes into account which industries you have. It actually
has an option file were you can adjust how much light, medium and heavy industry should count. Cool

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:24:23 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Hmm, i did 2 Sardinia-Piedmont runs, and i must *sigh*. Is this game supposed to be so utterly hard? How do those ppl ever achieve WC with Sweden, for gods sake? I am not even able to get Half of Italy under one flag, and getting my butt kicked by austria hungary. Yes, i know, we are talking Italy here, but come one, there were times where Italy didnt suck, and for gods sake, it's austria hungary we're talking here. Anyway, even France helped me. I must have been in a total loser ally there :-d :-d.

Anyway, with Japan i even managed to occupy half of China once, until i took myself Manchuria as a reward.

And wow, what the hell with those uprisings? After the liberal revolution and it's demise, all my territory is pretty much red, no matter what i am trying to do. Social reforms dont even seem to help or counteract it. Why do i get a militancy rise when there is unemployment subsidies? That doesnt seem to fit. I am never able to turn down those "partisans", no matter what i am trying to do. I didnt have the problem as Japan, btw. Strange folks, those Italians.

M&M
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:51:28 PM
 General

ok so far we have

Anders - Russia
Hytzon - Spain or China ?
M&M - Sweden
Mr.Sljivovic - ??
GeneralSchürmann - Japan ?
Lord Ederon - ?? (secondary nation perhaps ?)

So far we're missing Uk, france, prussia and austria for a proper game I think.
Anders
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:48:05 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

If necessary, I can take Austria instead of Russia, though It will probably go the way of the real Austro-Hungarian empire quite a bit sooner.
Be sure to install the pack of hotfixes Hytzon linked to.
What time are we starting? 1900 CET? 2000?

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Mr.G
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 1:24:31 AM
 Major

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 8000th post

I'm in, haven't played since I ran the Ottomans economy into the ground last time we tried but I'm all for it. Will be there Monday, maybe I will even try some before game.
Anders
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 2:22:49 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

I found both the Ottomans and France quite hard to play, as opposed to China. China hasn't got any industry to manage, and lots of peasants to turn into cannon fodder against the Brits. Of course, if the other powers joins forces with the Brits, you're screwed.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Mr.G
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 3:36:22 AM
 Major

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 8000th post

It seems we will have a global affair in terms of country selection. Not that I mind but I feel we should prioritize major European countries, or at the very least majors. For instance Austria, Russia, Prussia, and France should be filled and UK too. UK for one will be a nightmare to manage I think but I'm a little afraid of the gaining up on the AI, but we shall see come gametime. Speaking of which when do we start regular Monday times ? or hell if possible an hour earlier to take in account the crashes and rehost that will be needed.
Hytzon
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 7:54:49 AM
 Brigadier General

I don't think a UK player is absolutly necessary, as that country is nearly Godlike and the AI usually handles it quite well. Remember this game isn't HoI2, here we can take regional countries and turn them into majors. However, I do agree that if Anders chooses Russia or Austria, we need another player who is willing to take a big country in Europe. MrG you can always try Prussia, their economy is pretty straightforward so you shouldn't have to much trouble.

Btw. Schurmann the liberal revolution has an end date where the rebels will cool down, but until then you are in for some uprisings. One Tooth Grin