Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Victoria Revolutions Options · View
Anders
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 2:17:17 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Don't worry, Schürmann.
I'm sure the former Japanese leaders can set up a new government on Hawaii.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Stalins Elite
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:45:00 PM
 Pilus prior

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Only thing now is to find out wether or not my sails and masts will get my army to Japan... SE.

Admiral Kutzenov - The Cold War lives.

Ederon
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:00:32 PM
 Field Major

Stalins Elite wrote:
Only thing now is to find out wether or not my sails and masts will get my army to Japan... SE.

What year are you in? 1905?
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:34:12 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

I am not sure we changed centuries yet

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Ederon
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:45:36 PM
 Field Major

Gen.Schuermann wrote:
I am not sure we changed centuries yet

What year is it then?
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 11:25:35 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

no clue, i think around 1898... not sure though. no clue at all.

M&M
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 11:57:27 PM
 General

Quote:
Mr G.- With so many understaffed factories in Austria, our north-German brothers are welcome to come work in the Great White Blob

So can the great unified nation of Scandanavia. They are always welcome to move to neighbouring denmark where they can still be amongst other germans, or they can move further up into sweden where the full industries are.

Anyways, about the export I too believe that we should have another "shot" at victoria before we try a converted game. But I suppose we should try and convert it, maybe test play it for a bit to see how it works out. But I don't think we should play the doomsday version to the end, mainly because its somewhat unbalanced as it ended up in a unified alliance against the AI. I was quite surprised to see france not back italy in its war with the central powers, and with the absense of ederon I doubt it ever will. So perhaps next time we could play with some rules that could shake things abit to avoid the current NATO-like alliance Big Grin. Like perhaps austria must oppose prussia in germany, or some other stuff.

And I still wouldn't mind an extra day for victoria, but that will have to wait a couple of weeks cause I'm having midterms atm.

edit:
I think it was 1894 probably, or at least thats the last save i got.
Anders
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 12:28:33 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

It's April 28, 1895.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Ederon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 12:35:47 AM
 Field Major

Ah, thanks. How many sessions ahead? 4-6?
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 12:50:42 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

At current speed exactly 4 sessions to go. As wars will get bigger as time goes by, we might need another 1 or 2 sessions, so yes, 4-6 probably.

Anders
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:55:59 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

I'm open for an extra session or two, since I will be unavailable for playing between late may and early July. And I guess some of you are doing something for the summer as well.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:09:10 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Only for late summer. and i am not sure if i am even going somewhere. But hell, i do hate vacations with no inet access Sad

Mr.G
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:08:25 AM
 Major

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 8000th post

Summer is going to be tough and I wouldn't mind trying to get a couple more games in.

Come June I'm taking summer classes for a month in Albany which means classes are condensed and I can't pick and choose what time so most likely will be out for that month. When I come back I may or may not try to get a summer job which will bring more complications. Then come November unless something happens, will be joining the Marines for a spell. So all in all my time here might be numbered :-( that is temporarily I suspect as long as I have a comp and internet access I'll always try to sub.

So although this game I will finish properly, I would like to play in the next one too so for me the sooner we finish this test game the sooner we can start a real, competitive game.

M&M in terms of this game, I can't see Germany falling out of 1st place considering I'm almost twice as high as UK in score. Save for Austria and now Ottomans I haven't kept any notion of long term of alliance. I figured someone would rally an army against me about the time I united and humbled me but nothing came of it, now we are in a period where defense rules and if someone is going to offensive then they are in trouble unless they have overwhelming odds.

I blame this pacifism obviously on the fact we suck at the game, or at least did when we started. No one could really of maintained an army, especially with country selections. With Russia lacking, France could never really threaten Germany and with most other countries like Spain, Scandinavia, Japan and even in some aspects Austria were filled out before countries like Russia, UK and even the US meaning less conflict because the game broke down like this:

Superpower - Germany
World Powers - France, UK
Great Powers - Japan, US, Scandinavia
Local Powers - Spain, Italy, Russia
Independent Nations - Austria, Ottomans,

Of course this is just my list but I think it is pretty tight. Not until I slowed down my social reform spending did I realize how big I got, 1,000 a day and if war was to come 2,000 by tapping into tariffs and rich taxes. I ballpark my industry, if sat down under a interventionist government and if I wasn't lazy on the details, I could easily bring my industry 200% higher. But considering that I have fought only one war against a person which although credit to Mr.S I lost decisively to be less aggressive; was not touched and able to keep my industry rising with almost not doing anything.

World Powers go to France and UK on score and what I think the power they can project, both of these countries probably are the truest to there score as Germany has too much as with most other countries. Simply put Mr.S has played the best game out of all of us on the technical aspect but diplomatic aspect, not sure yet.

Great Powers are Japan and Scandinavia also based on score. Initially I would of put Scandi almost on World Power but if I sit down and think they would come closer to a local power, M&M has played a good game no doubt but in terms of projecting power, I don't think it has much. No population means any real war would be costly, and I think if UK or Russia fought Scandinavia on a one to one similar to UK to Austria the I think Scandinavia would of been in a bad position close to Austria's situation. Japan on the other hand has the population and has shown she could hold her own against a stupid AI but a strong one nonetheless, and for 10 years. Japan has no techs but infinite possibilities and because of that will be fairly strong but never able to face a France of Germany by herself.

Spain Italy and Russia are local powers, when I was discussing an invasion with Hyzton on invading France I was impressed at the fact he could have 500 thousand men at the ready, and that was in 1860. Spain probably can be higher but it is in the blue for me on current situation, all I know is that it was in a race with Italy for industry. Speaking of which Italy would be higher if it wasn't for the fact only 2 sessions were played by a human and Russia despite its gross incompetence still has a hefty military that could suffice.

For the record I think any country from Great Powers to Independent Powers were in a war it would be up in the air who won as I think one decisive victory would make the difference. Austria and Ottomans are pretty ugly countries to pick in terms of starting position but that is only part of why they are ranked on the lowest tier. Austria simply because the war with Britain destroyed it and then some other reason (why Anders was some 100,000 in debt) made industrializing it pretty freakin hard. Next session I suspect Austria to move up level with Spain and maybe even higher. The Ottomans on the other hand are the lowest of the low and it will take Stalins Elite the better part of this session to get things rolling because even though the AI can only do so much damage to itself the Ottomans start in such a crummy position and with no one picking up the slack for 70 years doesn't help it improve.

So that is my rather long and objectionable view on the game, probably riddled with oversight but I think I got it right. Now lets hope it makes people want to pick a fight with Germany. :-d
Hytzon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:06:17 PM
 Brigadier General

Good analysis there MrG, I agree with your views.

I sense that Germany have helped Austria get debt-free, and this will help them industrialize much quicker. In 5-10 years, I think they will surpass Spain. What will be interesting is to see how far SE can take Ottoman Empire before we end.

You mentioned my population as 50 million by 1860, but that is not true. It was about 30 million I believe, now its about 50 million. But keep in mind that much of it are not from Spain itself, and can therefore not contribute to my industry.

To give a heads up on the situation I am/was facing: Spain is a regional power from the start, with somewhat good starting ressources. The main proplem is low population, low education and finally low starting industries. Spain is like a Scandinavia with less educated people, also I think that the population in Scandinavia is bigger when Finland is included. The colonial race and industrial expansion sucks up all the money that Spain can get in the period 1836 to about 1880, this leaves the navy weak and the army somewhat small. The problem is that the only good Liberal party has pacifism, which means a small reserve. For example, right now I have some 20 divisions in reserve, but if I had a jingoist party in power it could probably be around 100 instead.

The future does look much brighter now, than it did IRL. I can avoid the war with the US by releasing Cuba, and the country is fully industrialized. I am actually making a navy right now, and the race is on with Scandinavia in the naval expansion. My original goal was to end as a great power by 1935, and currently it seems the goal is reachable. Although my litteracy is only around 70 percent, I have almost catched up with the most advanced nations. (Fielding PDNs and Subs)

To be honest I hoped for a war between all of the European powers when Germany unified, and that Germany would loose it so it didn't get as strong as it is now. I would of course not fight in it, but just keep out of the fire and keep developing my country hehe Big Grin

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Hytzon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:11:33 PM
 Brigadier General

Lord Ederon wrote:

What year is it then?

Btw. Ederon you can just check the session report thread which can be found here

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Anders
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 2:05:46 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

I agree on most of the analysis. The reason I ended up with so much debt was probably because I had to promote pops to Clerks and craftsmen. And I had to do it TWICE, due to the lengthy and costly war with Britain, since all my clerks fell in the Great War.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Ederon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 2:18:06 PM
 Field Major

Hytzon wrote:
Btw. Ederon you can just check the session report thread which can be found here

Um, yeah, I missed it somehow. Holy
Anders
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:30:55 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

One question: Will M&M be able to play on Monday? Or do we look for a sub on the B&I forum?

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:33:15 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

If we fail to find a suitable sub, i propose not to do this session as i have some learning to do... Otherwise i am game, of course

Mr.G
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:24:50 PM
 Major

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 8000th post

It is going to be progressively harder to get everyone here to play this game and I think we should try to finish this game up, hopefully with a sub. Seeing how we have 4-6 sessions a session under the AI is not an end all. Of course Germany can be "protect" Scandinavia from irrational decisions. But where has M&M he won't be able to make can't find the post.

Oh and Hyzton, my mistake I mean 500,000 man army that you could field, don't understand how I got 50 million out of the deal.
Hytzon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:45:50 PM
 Brigadier General

Mr.G wrote:
It is going to be progressively harder to get everyone here to play this game and I think we should try to finish this game up, hopefully with a sub. Seeing how we have 4-6 sessions a session under the AI is not an end all. Of course Germany can be "protect" Scandinavia from irrational decisions. But where has M&M he won't be able to make can't find the post.

Sometimes I write pure nonsence, but my god I laughed my ass off trying to read the last sentence... ROFL
(Or maybe I can't understand english One Tooth Grin )

Ederon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:07:46 PM
 Field Major

Hytzon wrote:
Sometimes I write pure nonsence, but my god I laughed my ass of trying to read the last sentence... ROFL

ROFL
Mr.G
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:48:50 PM
 Major

Hytzon wrote:

Sometimes I write pure nonsence, but my god I laughed my ass off trying to read the last sentence... ROFL

LOL

I amaze myself, and I'm a native english speaker, but I went through New York City public school so it is not my fault.

Maybe I should look over what I wrote, lets try this again :

The game is going to get progressively harder to for everyone here to play and I think we should try to finish it up as soon as possible even if it means an absence of a player. We have 4-6 sessions left and a session under AI control is not an end all; it can only do so much. In the case of Scandinavia, Germany can "protect" her from irrational decisions (DoWing Russia for instance). But where has M&M posted he won't be able to make it? I can't find the post.

Tongue
Ederon
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:02:20 PM
 Field Major

Mr.G wrote:
I amaze myself, and I'm a native english speaker, but I went through New York City public school so it is not my fault.

"Homer, you must think first then speak." Tongue Big Grin
M&M
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 11:59:41 PM
 General

Quote:
No population means any real war would be costly, and I think if UK or Russia fought Scandinavia on a one to one similar to UK to Austria the I think Scandinavia would of been in a bad position close to Austria's situation. Japan on the other hand has the population and has shown she could hold her own against a stupid AI but a strong one nonetheless, and for 10 years. Japan has no techs but infinite possibilities and because of that will be fairly strong but never able to face a France of Germany by herself.

Thats why I've enlisted most of northern africa under my command Smile, I was not ready for a war with russia the first time round, I believe my military score was pretty small. But now I believe I'm more than ready for fighting a war alone against russia without the need to mobilise, and since now I can afford to waste non-national pops in the defense of the homeland things should go much better. I've also constructed a defensive line which has been thoroughly tested. Last session I got abit lazy and didn't build much military which caused austria to leap ahead in military score, hopefully next session I will fix this as well as continue construction of my navy. I also think I have a plan on how to regain control of my goverment from the laissez faire guys.

But I really think we should try to shake things abit and try to steer ourselves towards war. If we had an italian player I believe the sides would be tied but I'm not sure what the sides would be now.

As for wether or not I can attend, I'll try my best to make this session. I have a midterm the following day but I'm afraid this campaign is abit too important for me (hmm...i think my priorities are messed up). I missed the game on sunday in order to make up for the time I'm gonna waste on monday ;-) , but it all depends on how much studying I can get done before then.