Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

House Rules for HOI4 MP Campaigns Options · View
Jorgen_CAB
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 11:12:24 PM
 Corporal

Beethoven wrote:
For some reason when I reply it only quotes the last part of your message.

But anyway, I think that is fine/balanced to disallow planning bonus for naval invasions, as long as it is also disallowed for counterattacking naval invasions. It simply means that you will not want to get Grand Battleplan doctrine as much (particularly for nations which need to naval invade), and you would want to go Superior Firepower more, to benefit from other bonuses instead of the planning bonus (but to the same ultimate end).

You could easily reverse that logic and say you gave an unfair advantage to Grand Battle Plan where it never intended to have an advantage of Superior Firepower thus throwing off balance. Wink

You must admit that if it were intended for naval invasions to get a planning bonus they would have given it without shenanigans needed to be made. I bet we will see Paradox tidy up the planning mechanics eventually to fix such loopholes.
P3D
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:36:50 AM
 Sergeant
One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

I need some clarification on the French fort rule.

Does it means that France can only build forts where already got some from focuses?
Or that France cannot have forts above 5 except the Maginot?
Anders
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:25:37 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

P3D wrote:
I need some clarification on the French fort rule.

Does it means that France can only build forts where already got some from focuses?
Or that France cannot have forts above 5 except the Maginot?

It's pretty much the standard rule, where you can manually build level 3, and you get whatever starting forts and focus-forts on top of that.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Beethoven
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:02:26 AM
 Corporal

Anders wrote:
It's pretty much the standard rule, where you can manually build level 3, and you get whatever starting forts and focus-forts on top of that.

From the wording:

"Only level 5 on both variants of Forts is allowed to be built ,but can be higher with a Focus if they can get higher with that(France has a special rule about this)."

It sounds like you can also build level 5 forts in places where there do not happen to be any focuses. Also, in the last game from the save where we reloaded for the Canadian player (Jorgen_Cab I think?), France was building forts on the Spanish border up to level 5.

i.e. you can build the forts so that they go up to a max of level 5 wherever you want. But you can't build to level 5 and then get extra focus forts on top of that (to make it higher than 5).
Anders
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:12:34 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Beethoven wrote:
It sounds like you can also build level 5 forts in places where there do not happen to be any focuses.
Looks like that to me as well.
Me, I'd prefer the most common variant where you can manually build to level 5, plus focii.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Marine
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:08:39 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

About Forts:

This is the rule that we have had since the Beginning, except the French part:

Only level 5 on both variants of Forts is allowed to be built ,but can be higher with a Focus if they can get higher with that(France has a special rule about this)."

1. This is how it's supposed to work, you can build 5 levels of Forts in any province manually, but if you also have a Focus that gives you more Fort levels beyond that ,then that has been okay.
I know that there is some Russian Focuses that can give Level 7 Forts, but i'm not sure about that.
So building Forts up to level 5 is always okay.

2. Here is a variant ,that i have been thinking of and it´s that you use the focus first and then if under Level 5 ,that you can build up to Level 5.

3. France might be a special case ,but we have not had any rule about that before, but maybe you first use the focus and then you can be allowed to build up to level 5.

So what do you think about those variants?
Anders
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:45:20 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

I think we should just scrap the forts-rule altogether. Forts aren't impervious.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Marine
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:10:21 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Anders wrote:
I think we should just scrap the forts-rule altogether. Forts aren't impervious.

Okay ,lets see what more people have to say about it first.
Marine
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:23:00 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Important Things that we really should make clear before start.:

Should we have any limits on ART(all sorts included) in our division Template or not?
Here follows two suggestions:

How many Line ART Battalions(all sorts included)per INF Battalion(all sorts included).

1. Suggestions have been 1 Line ART Battalion for every 10 in Combat Width, what about it?

2. One more suggestion is: That you should need like 3 INF(all sorts included) Battalions before you can have 1 Line ART(all sorts included) Battalion or something similar.

One thing that we have to count in in this is the fact that there is no Corps or Army ART included in this game, so that could justify some more ART(all sorts included) battalions maybe.

Here come another suggestion about Templates, that some has suggested:

This is how it was in HOI3 or HOI2 ,but I didn't remember which of them it was. There you could only upgrade to certain units depending on what you started with, so here goes down below:

That you should only be allowed to change INF templates to Motorized or Mechanized units. CAV units into either Infantry or Motorized and Mechanized units is also okay.
What should be prohibited would be changing INF templates into elite infantry, such as Marines, Mountaineers or Para troops or from Infantry to Tanks and it´s variants

You should not be able to combine Elite infantry with many tank battalions. Having a single or two battalion of tanks in an infantry divisions is one thing but combining half tanks and half marines are just gamey and don't belong in a historically plausible game.

Should research be allowed beyond 1 or 2 full years or more ahead of time.( This is something that we need to have in our game i really think.)

I have some proposals:
1. You are only allowed to research up to 1 year in advance.
2. 1.5 years in advance if you have 50% bonus.
3. 2 years in advance if you have a 100% ahead bonus.

One more thing:
To give away States to other players(Countries) just for building purposes should not be allowed i think, because it's Gamey and should only be allowed for resource purposes.
You should also only be allowed to give away States to countries that are near you, so no Japan in Europe and no Germans in Asia. The same with Aussies in Europe and so on, I think you get it.
Tell me what your thoughts are on this?

What about this: You can use fleets set to "Do not engage"/"Never repair", and planes in oversized wings set to "Low Intensity" to avoid fighting the enemy at all, but these all still provide superiority.(This is a exploit I think)
I myself have never deliberately put any fleet in do not engage and only when a fleet has done it by itself ,because of disengaging while going on repairs and Low Intensity I don´t use either.

One more thing, before we start tomorrow it would be good if everyone has read the Rules Sergeant
If you have any questions before start Ask them then and if you have any under the game just pause and ask those on your side and maybe even jump over to the enemy channel and ask them, before you do anything that might upset others.

One thing that I also want to remember mostly our new players is that when we are in the big War and maybe even before, that we use speed 1 then.
we like to take it easy and have a nice and Fun War timeBig Grin
P3D
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:31:08 PM
 Sergeant

I am fine with the research rules.

Regarding forts, As France I'd like to be able to build those lvl3 forts before the focuses, but it's up to you.
Anders
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:44:10 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

P3D wrote:
I am fine with the research rules.

Regarding forts, As France I'd like to be able to build those lvl3 forts before the focuses, but it's up to you.

It means you can build those levels before you even do Extend Maginot.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:58:45 AM
 Private 1st Class

I really really disagree with the research rules. It's the one advantage the Axis have. Especially if France can have forts.
Alex_brunius
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:23:14 PM
 Hauptmann

Demosthenes wrote:
I really really disagree with the research rules. It's the one advantage the Axis have. Especially if France can have forts.

UK get 2×50% boosts for all types of Airplanes, so 1944 models in 1940 if you want. USA also get loads of 50% boosts which allow research rushing ( once WT allows unlocking their extra slots ). Soviet get 2× 50% boosts on Tanks, so the allies get their fair share too, tbh.

France naturally wont be tech rushing much though...

In what way specifcally do you feel this punishes the Axis more then the Allies?
Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:29:47 PM
 Private 1st Class

Germany needs 1941+ tanks to break a decent France without losses that would make them extremely vulnerable in Barbarossa. Also needs time to build the newer tanks.
Alex_brunius
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:17:14 PM
 Hauptmann

Demosthenes wrote:
Germany needs 1941+ tanks to break a decent France without losses that would make them extremely vulnerable in Barbarossa. Also needs time to build the newer tanks.

Is 1941+ tanks really enough to gain armor advantage against units with 1941 HTDs? (Which I was able to get onto the field as France last game, despite not playing them especially optimal at all ).

If it isn't, then what gain is it that's needed from the tanks to break France?

In my other MP Game Germany was able to break a Gibraltar with lvl 10 forts and shore bombardment penalty using only Infantry +CAS, by just throwing 5 times as many units as the defending side had at it and not stopping until the defending sides org was depleted. Defenders had +57% dug in bonus and was standard 7+2 infantry.

In our last MP game Germany at the end had over 130 x 40 width divisions, which should be enough to force their way through even the forts in the Maginot line if needed ( and should be able to power through lower level 5 forts too ).
Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:28:25 PM
 Private 1st Class

Is 1941+ tanks really enough to gain armor advantage against units with 1941 HTDs? Yes. Absolutely. What was the piercing of your units? 65? 70?
Besides, armour isn't really that important. Breakthrough and hardness is.

Gibraltar is a special case because it can be attacked from a lot of sides and you can't cycle divisions. France can cycle as much as he wants the forts.
Beethoven
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:42:09 PM
 Corporal

Alex_brunius wrote:
Is 1941+ tanks really enough to gain armor advantage against units with 1941 HTDs? (Which I was able to get onto the field as France last game, despite not playing them especially optimal at all ).

If it isn't, then what gain is it that's needed from the tanks to break France?

In my other MP Game Germany was able to break a Gibraltar with lvl 10 forts and shore bombardment penalty using only Infantry +CAS, by just throwing 5 times as many units as the defending side had at it and not stopping until the defending sides org was depleted. Defenders had +57% dug in bonus and was standard 7+2 infantry.

In our last MP game Germany at the end had over 130 x 40 width divisions, which should be enough to force their way through even the forts in the Maginot line if needed ( and should be able to power through lower level 5 forts too ).

Yeah, as Demosthenes says, if Germany builds proper heavy tank units, they can avoid being pierced, at least by divisions which are just INF/MTN with only 1 French 1941 heavy TD. Germany can also rush the tank treaty first thing, in which case they can have King Tigers by the time the war starts.

Gibraltar is different from other provinces with level 10 forts because it is surrounded (and gets that penalty), and also has limited supply. You can simply keep attacking it constantly until the opposition runs out of org, without them being able to retreat units and send new ones in. So Gibraltar is basically indefensible for that reason.
Marine
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:59:15 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Updated the Rules section.
Take a read especially about suggestions and proposals.
Marine
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 11:50:54 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Here I will put in info about Rules and i will keep it updated until say so. I will also update the main thread on this:

Mixed rules:

New and Old Rules for the next Campaign:

Historically only GER, ITA, POR, MEX and SOV sent send volunteers and Lend Lease to the Spanish Civil War.
This some of the new rules to get it more right and historical in my opinion:
Translation:
Germany can send 1 Brigade(all sorts) sized force to Spain.
(They had around 16000 men involved ,but not many where ground soldiers.)
Lend -Lease: 600 Planes and 200 tanks.
Also Support and INF Equipment can be sent.

Italy can send 1 MOT INF Div, 3 Semi MOT INF Divs and 1 Armored Brigade with 1 Tank Bat.
Lend lease: 660 planes, 150 Tanks, 800 ART.

Soviet can send 1 Brigade(all sorts) sized force to Spain.
Lend Lease: 720 Planes, 350 Tanks, 1500 ART.

Here is a Alternative on Spain:

I noticed that when you send Tanks as Lend Lease then they don´t use them because they have no templates for them.
I do think that they use ART sent.
So I was thinking then that those countries that sent LL will get the same amount in own units that the can send.
The rest that is allowed comes as regular LL.
You are not allowed to send more troops than this.
So see here below:

Germany: Mix of 600 Planes and 200 Tanks(ca 3 Bat) in units that they can send.
No limit on INF and Support Equipment.
The units only have limits on Armor, but not the rest in the unit.

Italy: Mix of 660 Planes, 800 ART and 150 Tanks(ca 2 Bat) in units they can send.

Soviet: Mix of 720 Planes, 1500 ART and 350 Tanks(ca 6 Bat) in units they can send.

Only USA, Canada and UK may Lend Lease to the SOV. 
No sending volunteers or Lend Lease to other pre-WW2 conflicts than the Spanish Civil War is allowed, but there is one exception from that rule and that is SOV(See Below).
That exception is that after Japan declares war on China, then Soviet is allowed to send aircraft as lend lease to China, but no ground forces or material.
Historically US did not start Lend lease until March 1941, so until that date no Lend lease from them at all is allowed.
Axis should not be allowed to take over countries via focuses before Danzig or War.
After Danzig or WAR UK should be allowed to declare WAR via focuses on countries like in Scandinavia.

You should only be allowed to change Templates with the following rules:
INF-MOT-MECH.
CAV-INF-MOT-MECH.
INF-CAV.
ART-Variants.
AA-Variants.
AT-Variants.
Variants is: Self-propelled variants of them.
Armor to other armor variants is allowed and the opposite.

What should not be allowed is:
INF-ARMORED(+Variants).
INF-Elite INF(Marines, Para and Mountaineers.)

You should also not be allowed to combine more than 7 Elite INF and 2 ARMORED +Variants.

So having a single or two battalions of tanks in an Elite Infantry division is one thing but combining half tanks and half Elite INF are just gamey and don't belong in a historically plausible game.

Rules that I think that we decided on and should use now:

When it comes to Templates and ART we use the 7-2 Rule(7 INF and 2 ART with variants).

This is the Rules about Tech research:
1. You are only allowed to research up to 1 year in advance with a bonus under 50 %.
2. 1.5 years in advance if you have 50% bonus.
3. 2 years in advance if you have a 100% ahead bonus.

To give away States to other players(Countries) just for building purposes should not be allowed, because it's Gamey and should only be allowed for resource purposes.
So you should not be allowed to give states with MIL Factories/Naval yard to another country just so that they can use them to build things for their own purpose.
You should also only be allowed to give away States to countries that are near you, so no Japan in Europe and no Germans in Asia. The same with Aussies in Europe and so on, I think you get it.
You are allowed to give and get military access with neutral countries?(Sweden did and we have not had any problems with this in our games really so far.)

Updated Rules:

Coups are not allowed on human players at all, but AI controlled nations are open to be turned over to the desired ideology, but only after Danzig or WAR.
Soviet may put GoI on Finland, Romania, Iran, and the Baltic states, but not if there is a Human player.
Germany may put GoI on Sweden, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey, but not if there is a Human player.
UK and France may put GoI on Spain, Portugal, Greece and Turkey, but not if there is a Human player.
Only 5 levels on both variants of Forts is allowed to be built manually, but can be higher with a Focus if they can get higher with that, but you should pick the Focus first in that case. (France has a special rule about this).

Edited: 14/01 CET 16.43.
baronbowden
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:30:41 AM
 General of the Army

"Axis should not be allowed to take over countries via focuses before Danzig or War."

Seems like a bad idea. Really bad idea. Taking over the countries helps the axis via factories etc, and if improperly managed the tension also helps the allies. Is a double edged sword the axis needs to coordinate making the game interesting.

Famous Quotes

KhanXLT: day to day, lucky things happen to me
KhanXLT: you know, little things
Newman: lol that husky girl behind the counter at the grocery store gave you her number didnt she!!!!

El_Zilcho321: Euro balance = ban BB
Chimaera72
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:48:50 AM
 2nd Lieutenant

Yes I agree, not allowing Germany to take countries via focuses will criple the axis to much I beleive. Playing on the Allied side this round(and in earlier games) I look forward to the challenge of trying to beat a powerfull Axis. We risk having short wars if we 'nerf' the Axis to much.
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:53:16 AM
 Private 1st Class

Germany can send 1 Brigade(all sorts) sized force to Spain.
(They had around 16000 men involved ,but not many where ground soldiers.)
Lend -Lease: 600 Planes and 200 tanks.

Italy can send 1 MOT INF Div, 3 Semi MOT INF Divs and 1 Armored Brigade with 1 Tank Bat.
Lend lease: 660 planes, 150 Tanks, 800 ART.

Soviet can send 1 Brigade(all sorts) sized force to Spain.
Lend Lease: 720 Planes, 350 Tanks, 1500 ART.

So Soviets can't win ever in Spain, not even have a chance?
With a Spanish player on your side and Italian+German volunteers, SCW is won for Axis 95% of time. You guys just played wrong. Nationalist Spain didn't have equipment while I sent 10k+ to Republican Spain and you decided to put all your army in 2 provinces.
baronbowden
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:02:43 AM
 General of the Army

Demosthenes wrote:
r army in 2 provinces.

Technically it was 3 provinces.. you missed those because they were busy sitting down south guarding Alhambra.

But all that seems to not be part of the discussion; it focuses around what is historical and what might be historical and what could be historical; game play comes after....

Famous Quotes

KhanXLT: day to day, lucky things happen to me
KhanXLT: you know, little things
Newman: lol that husky girl behind the counter at the grocery store gave you her number didnt she!!!!

El_Zilcho321: Euro balance = ban BB
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:19:36 AM
 Private 1st Class

It's historical for Republican Spain to have stood a chance. If axis can send 5 divs and USSR can send 1, they don't.
Marine
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:38:50 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
"Axis should not be allowed to take over countries via focuses before Danzig or War."

Seems like a bad idea. Really bad idea. Taking over the countries helps the axis via factories etc, and if improperly managed the tension also helps the allies. Is a double edged sword the axis needs to coordinate making the game interesting.

Yes I agree, not allowing Germany to take countries via focuses will cripple the axis to much I believe. Playing on the Allied side this round(and in earlier games) I look forward to the challenge of trying to beat a powerful Axis. We risk having short wars if we 'nerf' the Axis to much.

First of this Rule has been in from the start:
Historical major events and focuses until the Focus Danzig or War is finished.

So Austria and Czechoslovakia is free game, but Yugoslavia is not since ,that is not what happen IRL before Danzig or WAr and Italy is supposed to attack them, so Germany can get some later.
After Danzig or War they can take over countries via focus if they want that.

Germany will get strong soon enough I think and have in most of our earlier games. Just not before WW2 starts.

Quote:
So Soviets can't win ever in Spain, not even have a chance?
With a Spanish player on your side and Italian+German volunteers, SCW is won for Axis 95% of time. You guys just played wrong. Nationalist Spain didn't have equipment while I sent 10k+ to Republican Spain and you decided to put all your army in 2 provinces.

As I and some others wrote earlier, yes Franco is supposed to win and Republicans loose.
SCW is mostly a opportunity for Germany, Italy and Soviet to get some erly EXP .
With god tactics maybe you can win as Republicans Smile

This has also nothing about how i played Spain.

Quote:
It's historical for Republican Spain to have stood a chance. If axis can send 5 divs and USSR can send 1, they don't.

Hm, Italy is allowed to send 4 Divs and 1 Armored Brigade(with 1 Tank Bat, a weak Brigade) if they can and Germany 1 Brigade(all sorts).
Soviet can send 1 Brigade(all sorts).
So if Soviet also send a good amount of Lend lease, well then maybe They can win ,but that's not why they are there if we want to go the historical route until WW2 starts.
Also I don't know how strong these Italian Divisions can be this early in the game. I think that the Russian tanks are better than Germany's or the Italian´s (1 bat strong only).

Quote:
Regarding Spain: If the object is to play "historical", then the player should have to stay "popular front" in the election event, and only choose ideological sides when the civil war erupts. My reasoning is that historically, the Fascists were the aggressors, and if the aggressors in the SCW win, WT goes up quite a few points. If the defenders win, WT does not go up quite as much. By going Fascist in the election, the Spain-player ensures that the Republicans will be the aggressors, and when the Fascists win, WT only rise by a few percentage points.

I like your suggestions Anders concerning this.
As you said we chose Popular Front and then when SCW starts you pick the Nationalists and we can have the war going on for a while.
17 July 1936 – 1 April 1939(2 years, 8 months, 2 weeks and 1 day) This is how long the War went on historically.
That would be more fun I think.