Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Song of the Dead Take II Discussion Thread. Options · View
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 5:54:58 AM
 Legatus legionis

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

LordSauronOfHertfordshire wrote:
I have conquered Sevilla, and thus get the Great Tower points the next time that rolls around.

For simplicity, the location points are awarded at the end of the session that contains the target year; so you have to keep Sevilla until the end of next session.

Read my blog.
Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:08:13 AM
 Legatus legionis

Ok, about Mali. Now I'm pretty sure I said, at some point, that the playable zone would includethe northern coast of Africa, implying that the inland bits are out. But I cannot find this post; and what I actually wrote in the rules post was this:

Quote:
No playing east of the Don or the Jordan. Anatolia is allowed roughly to the border of modern Turkey.

So, in the interest of not GMing based on my state of mind and things I may or may not have said five months ago on page 13 of a thread now on the third page of the forum, I will allow Mali - it's not a huge area in terms of provinces anyway. In the interest of clarity I will draw a line in Egypt at the second cataract, ie just south of Lake Aswan; I've added this to the rules post.

Read my blog.
Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
King of Men
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 8:44:53 AM
 Legatus legionis

Advisory poll for the winter break is up in Dip Room 9.

Read my blog.
LordSauronOfHertfordshire
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 2:47:18 PM
 Optio

I apologize, that's not what the rules said, so I got confused. They said for each 100 years after game start.
King of Men wrote:
When held by a dynast, one point each. These points are awarded at the end of the session that includes the year 869, 969, and so on, and upon conversion if conversion is at least 50 years after the previous award time.

Why conquer when diplomacy is just so much easier.
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:00:37 AM
 Legatus legionis

All right, the votes are in: Roy Moore lost Two-week break for Christmas, and no conversion yet. And there was much rejoicing!

Next conversion vote will be after the session that includes the year 1019, which probably will be on the 17th, before the Christmas break. I wonder if we should change that rule to be every hundred years, or every two (three?) sessions, instead? Having a vote every session seems a bit noisy.

Read my blog.
dragoon9105
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:14:57 AM
 Lieutenant General

We average 20 Years Per Session, so I don't necessarily think we'll breech 1019 unless we can reach speed 2 for more considerably amounts of time than we usually do.
Ranger9000
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:18:58 AM
 Captain

Must admit I thought we were voting for conversion every 50 years not 20 (would fit nicer with the 2-3 session idea)
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:40:18 AM
 Legatus legionis

Ranger9000 wrote:
Must admit I thought we were voting for conversion every 50 years not 20 (would fit nicer with the 2-3 session idea)

It is every fifty years, but I was thinking fifty years from 969. However, now I think about it, it would make more sense to make it 50-year blocks from each vote, rather than from the trigger date for the first vote. Be it so. In that case the next conversion vote will be after the session that includes 1046, probably the first session of 2018.

Read my blog.
King of Men
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:10:24 PM
 Legatus legionis

LordSauronOfHertfordshire wrote:
I apologize, that's not what the rules said, so I got confused. They said for each 100 years after game start.

That is what the rules said, it's literally in the quote you had in this post:

Quote:
These points are awarded at the end of the session that includes the year 869, 969, and so on

You were trying to claim the points in 967. However, I'll go back to the 996 save and see who holds what, it's likely you'll get the point.

Read my blog.
King of Men
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:15:05 AM
 Legatus legionis

So, regarding the missions. It seems that the time limits are somewhat confusing and un-fun. Does anyone have a strong objection to removing the time limits on the missions, and having them basically become achievements?

In other news, new conversion is up; I've run this one for ten years without a crash. I accomplished this by commenting out conversion features, so there's a bunch of stuff missing, but now I have a base to work from.

Read my blog.
The Professor
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 3:53:00 PM
 General of the Army

No objections; perhaps make missions repeatable while achievements are one and done?

Their game can only exist to be won.
Then so be it who else can see it done.
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 6:59:37 AM
 Legatus legionis

Updated the achievements:

• Added control points for 969 (using the 996 save): Dragoon "City of Men's Desire", Golle "On the River Thames", Yami "The Golden City", Hadogei "Three Faiths, One Ruler". Note that the achievement calls for "held by a dynast", not "controlled".
  • Added "One True Pope" for Dragoon and Sauron.
  • Added "Even Truer Pope" to Dragoon.
  • Added "Crusader" for Dragoon.
  • Added "Equal to Rome" for Sauron. (Sorry Ranger, yours isn't one of the specified list. )

"Sea King" and "Castille, and Leon" are both out of period; they may get accepted if we change the mission rule as discussed above. (Along with some other retroactive missions accomplished.) However, to me the word "crowns" in "Castille and Leon" indicates king-level titles. Dragoon, can you clarify this?

Read my blog.
  • dragoon9105
    Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:03:05 PM
     Lieutenant General

King level titles Yea thats the intent.

Also I still hold rome, So I would get a second hit of that, Vaniver still has Julich and Paris I believe.
    King of Men
    Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:39:55 AM
     Legatus legionis

Again, the achievement is "held by a dynast", not "controlled". The counts who control Rome, Julich, and Paris are not Lotharings or Iverings. Likewise the count of Sjaelland is not an Yngling although his liege is, so I don't get the Little Mermaid point for 969.

Read my blog.
    Vaniver
    Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 7:45:44 AM
     Lieutenant Colonel

King of Men wrote:
    Again, the achievement is "held by a dynast", not "controlled". The counts who control Rome, Julich, and Paris are not Lotharings or Iverings. Likewise the count of Sjaelland is not an Yngling although his liege is, so I don't get the Little Mermaid point for 969.
    I also interpreted this as "top-level liege," and would have made different choices if I thought the county-level title was relevant.
    King of Men
    Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 2:50:26 AM
     Legatus legionis

Ok. I'm sorry this did not get clarified before, but I'm going to stick with what I read as the intent of the rule. I'll go back and check the 869 points again as there may be some points there that shouldn't have been given out, since Vaniver did the first pass there.

Read my blog.
    King of Men
    Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 4:36:15 AM
     Legatus legionis

Looked in the 872 endsave; the only change is to remove "Where Emperors Fear to Tread" from Vaniver, as Julich's count is not an Ivering.

As there have been no objections, I'm going to make the missions into achievements, to be done any time. Let me know if you got one in the past, or if someone else did.

Read my blog.
    King of Men
    Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 4:39:10 AM
     Legatus legionis

That said, this:

Dragoon wrote:
    Laying a Claim to
    Fall of the Karlings (Overthrow/Subjugate/Invade Karling Kingdoms, Each Kingdom counts once, and the one with the most overthrows is given the reward)

As not only did I drive the house into extinction. I had my dynasty Inherit the Holy Roman Empire, and thus depose the Karlings from, Bavaria, West Francia, Germany, Italy and Saxony.

seems dodgy to me, as the achievement says "Overthrow/Subjugate/Invade" the kingdoms, while the inheritance was done by assassinations. I want to see (or at least hear about) some actual fighting before I hand this out.

Read my blog.
    LordSauronOfHertfordshire
    Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 4:59:11 AM
     Optio

you don't need to fight to overthrow a ruling dynasty from a kingdom, particularly if the leading dynasty is AI, take installing by faction demand as an example. I would argue that usurping the throne via murder is plenty of death to count as overthrowing it.

Why conquer when diplomacy is just so much easier.
    King of Men
    Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 5:05:04 AM
     Legatus legionis

I updated the achievement list, moving the missions up into the achievements section and slightly editing some of the wording. I dropped the "hold England at 1100" and "hold Sicily at 1100" as they really only made sense with specific times; and the England one seems pretty overlapping with some other achievements anyway.

Read my blog.
    fasquardon
    Posted: Friday, January 05, 2018 6:15:08 PM
     Admiral

Out of curiousity, who are the current players and their realms?

And is the rather impressive catholic Khazar empire (which seems to be in the middle of a civil war just now) a result of some player's action? I'd love to hear the story behind them.

fasquardon

Propheteocrat of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in There Will be War - In the Balance

Tyrannos of the Second Republic of Rome, High Speaker of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in And Rumors of War
    Ranger9000
    Posted: Friday, January 05, 2018 6:25:45 PM
     Captain

Image of some of the player realms at the end of last session in the image link

Other player realms that aren't on there, Golle is Great Britain, Zirotron is Scotland, and Hadogai in Anatolia/Levant area. There are a few bigger nations in Southern France (Gaul and Burgundy) though admittedly they did just lose their dynastic freedom last session so might be a bit of work there, but if they united they'd likely be pretty dangerous. There's also Saxony and Austurias that are not great, but something. Russia's more or less untouched and a big collection of small guys.
    King of Men
    Posted: Friday, January 05, 2018 9:02:47 PM
     Legatus legionis

fasquardon wrote:
    Out of curiousity, who are the current players and their realms?

I am playing Merchant Norse Scandinavia. Blayne is Venice. Golle is England; I think that completes the list of people you've played with before. Then we have Vaniver in Bretonnia (the coast of France); Dragoon is Italy; Ranger is the western-Med merchant republic occupying most of Morocco; Sauron is Spain; Zirotron is Scotland; Yami is Bohemia/Poland; and Hadogei is Jerusalem, if he comes back. Finally Radek is the Novgorod-ish state on my eastern flank, if he returns.

Quote:
    And is the rather impressive catholic Khazar empire (which seems to be in the middle of a civil war just now) a result of some player's action? I'd love to hear the story behind them.

fasquardon

No, that's all AI! In addition to the realm-size maximum of 150, we've limited our playing area to, basically, Europe and the Near and Middle East; anything occuring in Persia, India, or the steppes is AI action.

Read my blog.
    fasquardon
    Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 7:43:16 PM
     Admiral

King of Men wrote:
    Alas, we do play 4-hour sessions starting at 0900 Pacific time. Sad It's been like that for a long time, though. Confused

Sent you the Discord invite anyway.

I miss-converted PDT to GMT. I should be able to play the full session.

Ranger9000 wrote:
    Other player realms that aren't on there, Golle is Great Britain, Zirotron is Scotland, and Hadogai in Anatolia/Levant area. There are a few bigger nations in Southern France (Gaul and Burgundy) though admittedly they did just lose their dynastic freedom last session so might be a bit of work there, but if they united they'd likely be pretty dangerous. There's also Saxony and Austurias that are not great, but something. Russia's more or less untouched and a big collection of small guys.

As I understand it, me moving into the dynastically inhabited Western Europe would be kinda undoing players' work at a stroke, which makes me loathe to do it.

King of Men wrote:
    I am playing Merchant Norse Scandinavia. Blayne is Venice. Golle is England; I think that completes the list of people you've played with before. Then we have Vaniver in Bretonnia (the coast of France); Dragoon is Italy; Ranger is the western-Med merchant republic occupying most of Morocco; Sauron is Spain; Zirotron is Scotland; Yami is Bohemia/Poland; and Hadogei is Jerusalem, if he comes back. Finally Radek is the Novgorod-ish state on my eastern flank, if he returns.

Oh? Radovia is a player state? I thought it looked awfully unnatural.

In that case I am inclined to try out Catholic Khazaria. I am curious how much customization is allowed for arriving players. Also, what exactly does "150 realm size" mean? I found this quote by dragoon:

dragoon9105 wrote:
    150 is about 30 Fully developed 5 slot Provinces or about 50 completely undeveloped provinces, Big Enough for a Nation to have some power and be flexible but not Empire sized. I'm good with 150.

Which serves to confuse more than it does enlighten. As I understand it, realm size in CK2 is based of buildings filling the slots in provinces. In which case, wouldn't a completely underdeveloped realm of size 150 be 150 provinces since each province counts as a minimum of 1 barony?

Also, will you be updating to the latest patch? Because I am not sure how to downgrade my copy of CK2 to the previous patch. (I should note that I was able to run the save with no problems whatsoever, despite it being from a previous patch.)

fasquardon

Propheteocrat of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in There Will be War - In the Balance

Tyrannos of the Second Republic of Rome, High Speaker of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in And Rumors of War
    Ranger9000
    Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 8:11:27 PM
     Captain

Well, Gaul/Aquitaine has been a player spot twice, so it wouldn't exactly be unusual. (At game start and later got picked up by another player.) But you would be kinda entering into a hornets nest.

As for customization, usually there's not terribly much as far as I know other then maybe a dynastic edit given the ruler designer is locked after game start, and 150 realm size means exactly what it means. On the top right of the screen you have a 'realm size' counter and that has to be under 150. You could either control 150 1 holding proviences, or 30 5 holdings ones, or anything in between. Its based on the cities/temples/castles not the actual number of counts. Though hordes work under a different policy (iirc, they have a max of 35 count holdings total but the rules weren't quite worked out for them this time around due to the starting area not including any hordes)

As for the game, we play on the previous patch. Its pretty easy to switch back, just right click on your CK2 game in steam, go to properties, go the the 'betas' tab, and then select the 2.7.2 patch and it will set itself back on its own.