Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Song of the Dead Take II Discussion Thread. Options · View
The Professor
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 6:41:11 AM
 General of the Army

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Battle log for use of a future aar probably this week.

Quote:

The first action was Malaysia, Ayutthaya, Japan, and Mavahalos occupying undefended Occitanian colonial possessions, engaging in skirmishes with colonial stacks in Australia and elsewhere.
Correction: Japan/Korea/Malaysia enter the war initially, there's some confusion and translation errors between the various embassies as China/Mavhavalos/Ayutthaya are slower to get their act together, and dow separately 6 months later.
Occitania brought a galley doomstack to Indonesia and landed approximately 20k troops (Was it larger but attritioned down?).
While their fleet was busy docked in the Indian ocean, China shipped 45k in two trips over to the island on the other side which engaged and defeated
but Indonesia was the first place for Vaniver's counter offensive, followed by the first major naval engagements where Japan's navy first defeats Occitania's galley doomstack, followed by a epic chase across the Indian ocean to Madagascar.
Around this time Hadogei landed 30k in Madagascar.
the Chinese Volunteer Army marches overland back to Saigon across the Malacca straits in preparation to be shipped over to Borneo, but instead are shipped to the America's on Korean request, another 25 transports are laid down and constructed to aid in logistics.
things start to get confusing after the Madagascar action when Hadogei peaces out after his army got wiped by Ynglings.
Some of us have our fleets operating out of contact from each other and coordination is slow
the Chinese Volunteer Army fights an engagement with unknown hostiles outside of Vancouver and scatter 16k force into the country side, and begin patrols to clean them up while reoccupying/rebuilding burnt frontier forts and towns.
Korea is pushing south into California.
The Yngling's separate from the British Navy and land 30-45k marines onto Borneo.
There was a series of engagements versus the Ynglings in the bay of Sarawok we should've won hands down but ended up bring a grapple where we lost a few times before finally winning via attrition
(I think around this time Korea lands troops and chases off the Ynglings?)
because we didnt have the Brunei-Attuhaya-Jinshi fleets converge at the sametime
then his fleet engaged the British heavies after our exhausted final victory over the Ynglings and won after ours got chased away
but at that point we were spooked and peaced out and then started cursing ourselves after Mark's upset victory over Golle
Korea fought Occitania off the Californian coast and apparently won a bunch of engagements before losing a battle presumably to a fleet of heavies

edit. adjusted log to now include land movements I remember doing.

Questions I need to get around to asking:
-What happened in California before Chinese troops arrive.
-Australia???????

Their game can only exist to be won.
Then so be it who else can see it done.
King of Men
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:44:41 AM
 Legatus legionis

Quote:
I think around this time Korea lands troops and chases off the Ynglings?

Korea did nothing of the sort. I had marched my troops south to besiege the Malayan fortresses in that part of the island; the Malayans then surrendered before I could engage the Koreans.

Quote:
Ynglings land 30-45k marines onto Borneo.

Those weren't Marines, those were our colonial troops. Our good units are kept in Europe to guard against Russian treachery.

Quote:
fleets converge in time

Not convinced that would have helped, you wouldn't have gotten any more ships actually fighting, and you eventually lose to running out of morale. Just more demoralised meat for the grinder.

Read my blog.
Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
King of Men
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:52:37 AM
 Legatus legionis

So there is a suggestion to ban going revolutionary, on the grounds that it's unbalancedly good. Anyone have an argument to make in favour of tyranny, confiscation, and the guillotine revolution? Another option is to allow it, but ban allying with the revolutionary nation, with the intention of having an apocalyptic beatdown war of everyone against the Revolution, as in our history. This might also require some tweaking of peace rules for the revolutionary wars. Thoughts?

Read my blog.
Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
Mark0628
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:56:13 PM
 Lieutenant Colonel

One Year Membership Medal

King of Men wrote:
So there is a suggestion to ban going revolutionary, on the grounds that it's unbalancedly good. Anyone have an argument to make in favour of tyranny, confiscation, and the guillotine revolution? Another option is to allow it, but ban allying with the revolutionary nation, with the intention of having an apocalyptic beatdown war of everyone against the Revolution, as in our history. This might also require some tweaking of peace rules for the revolutionary wars. Thoughts?

the real problem is that asia cant go revolutionary Wink
The Professor
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:56:51 PM
 General of the Army

1. Asia/RotW can't go Revolutionary.
2. Precedent states that people won't gank the revolutionary nation, they will have at least one ally.

Would the world have ganked Baron with it? Lol no.

King of Men
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:00:24 AM
 Legatus legionis

The Professor wrote:
1. Asia/RotW can't go Revolutionary.

Well, obviously; that would be filial disrespect and against Confucian principles.

Quote:
2. Precedent states that people won't gank the revolutionary nation, they will have at least one ally.

Hence the suggestion of forbidding allying with the revolution, or even requiring Europeans to DOW if they don't have a truce.

Read my blog.
The Professor
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:31:48 PM
 General of the Army

We could make it that the longer the revolutionary nation goes unattacked the lower score from victory cards gets via edits. The other problem is that nothing stops the revolutionary nation from just colluding with its former ally.

James Craig
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 10:54:28 AM
 1st Lieutenant

This is another rule that should have been made at game start before people bought sets and before people played to 1700. I am against any new rule for revolutionary nations because of this. Rule on it for the next great game.

Vae Victis!
The Professor
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 8:25:15 PM
 General of the Army

James Craig wrote:
This is another rule that should have been made at game start before people bought sets and before people played to 1700. I am against any new rule for revolutionary nations because of this. Rule on it for the next great game.

I didn't know they were a thing. And I'm not sure it's obvious to anyone else, we rarely get this far.

LordSauronOfHertfordshire
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:06:38 PM
 Optio

It seems to me that there is not much in the way of strong reasons why we shouldn't severely limit or outright ban revolutionary, because it is so powerful, so unbalanced regionally, and so easily gamed by players that are either 1) highly militarily competent, 2) diplomatically skilled, or 3) both.

Also if you bought your idea set specifically to game a broken system, then I don't personally feel bad blocking you in doing that when it becomes an issue.

Why conquer when diplomacy is just so much easier.
The Professor
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 10:56:41 PM
 General of the Army

Needs of the many vs the few etc.

It seems very strong to me that if any of the big three nations managed to get it the game would effectively be over.

Gollevainen
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:31:00 PM
 Legatus legionis

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 50,000th Forum Post

Yeah ban the revolutioners!!

Irsh Faq wrote:
I've noted with Golle a trend of stirring up as much drama publicly as he can whenever he's up to something shady in the background. Presumably its a smokescreen strategy.
laxspartan007
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 3:38:07 PM
 Corporal

The Professor wrote:

-Australia???????

Malaya and Ayutthaya occupied the entire continent before Ayutthaya peaced out
King of Men
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:19:09 AM
 Legatus legionis

Ok, nobody likes the revolution. Revolution is banned. Let them eat cake!

Read my blog.
dragoon9105
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:21:33 AM
 Lieutenant General

Authoritarian monster the masses will have their freedom
King of Men
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 7:27:48 AM
 Legatus legionis

It looks to me as though the "expand by fifty dev" mission is bugged. Has anyone successfully completed it? If not, we might consider either removing it, or completing it by edit.

Read my blog.
dragoon9105
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 3:16:43 PM
 Lieutenant General

Yes, I completed it. You need to state the land.
The Professor
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 4:18:18 PM
 General of the Army

King of Men wrote:
It looks to me as though the "expand by fifty dev" mission is bugged. Has anyone successfully completed it? If not, we might consider either removing it, or completing it by edit.

The mission or the splendour thing?

King of Men
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:09:09 AM
 Legatus legionis

The mission.

Quote:
You need to state the land.

I did, though. Coromandel has 52 dev and is a state. :confused:

Read my blog.
LordSauronOfHertfordshire
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:28:11 AM
 Optio

I managed to complete it, but it took far, far more than 50 dev to do so. Also doesn’t seem to work from developing provinces, not sure if that’s intended or not.

Why conquer when diplomacy is just so much easier.
King of Men
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 6:57:41 AM
 Legatus legionis

Regarding the messup with war types today: When I suggested we could fight a colonial war, I meant against Dragoon; when I suggested we could DOW Malaya and avoid fighting Dragoon, that was meant to be a separate suggestion and not colonial. I expressed myself unclearly; apologies.

A Euro fighting an Asian power is almost always going to be a total war; the two exceptions are if you're trying to take an American or African colony, and if you intend to just sit about outside their coast and make menacing gestures. The thing that a colonial war forbids is invading the other player's heartland, and Asian players are going to have Asian heartlands, so if you intend to fight in Asia you're basically stuck with a total war. Against Dragoon, whose heartland is in Europe, we could have fought colonial, and as things worked out that might have been the better play; but we were all scared to go up against him directly, so we ended up with the oblique approach, which didn't work too well.

Read my blog.
James Craig
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 2:57:05 PM
 1st Lieutenant

This appears to me to utterly change how I have been dealt with so far. Does this mean that in any instance when a war is declared against me that it is to be considered a total war? Does this mean that if I were to declare a colonial war that my heartland would be untouchable? These issues are thrown into chaos by that ruling.

Vae Victis!
King of Men
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 4:00:57 AM
 Legatus legionis

If you declare a colonial war, your heartland is indeed untouchable; however, I remind you that:

rules wrote:
You may only declare a colonial war if you have colonies yourself (either colonial nations, trade companies, or provinces (including subject provinces) which are overseas with respect to you), so that your target can counter-attack and gain something.

At the moment, then, I don't think you can declare a CW. As for DOWs the other way: So far, every war declared against you has been a total war. There is nothing stopping anyone from declaring a colonial war against you, but it would be a pretty useless thing to do, for the same reason: You don't, as far as I recall, have any colonies.

I am not sure what is thrown into chaos by the clarification. Possibly what is confusing you is the 25% limit? That applies to every war, colonial and otherwise.

Read my blog.
The Professor
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 5:41:08 AM
 General of the Army

Why no colonial wars if you don't have something to lose? Why not just make it so you lose a humiliation peace and money.

The Professor
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 5:45:48 PM
 General of the Army

For next week can we bump up the Manpower aar reward? 5k manpower is basically nothing compared to mana; 50,000 manpower would be more appropriate considering the average size of nations.