Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The expeditions of a norseman Options · View
Clonefusion
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 1:00:15 PM
 Major

It was morning in a house near the sea. The sun had just risen and I was wondering what would this new day bring to my life. The sun was glaring at me, but at the same time also giving me warmth. I was looking around me and what I saw was a small village. There were wooden houses if you could even call them that, myself always thought of them as bigger tents, after all, tents seemed to be the thing we seemed to be most accustomed to. The village was maybe small with just our 500 souls enriching it, but it was surrounded by beautiful nature on all its sides. To the north of the village was a forest with trees which seemingly seemed to cuddle together so they could all work together on reaching the skies, to the west was a small lake, the lake allowed us to stay in contact with our fellow warriors in the inland and also teaches us to swim, fish and sail across it. To the south of us, the trees start to get more colorful and at this time of the year the trees are colored in bright color and surrounded by flowers.

On such a warm morning it was my job to first get water for my leader and my comrades so that they could get ready to start fishing and hunting so that in the evening we would have something to eat on our plate. As I was coming back from the lake with fresh water I was grabbed by my father and as such, I knew I would go fishing today with him. I and my father went to the dock, got our boat and sailed out into the lake. The day passed, it was a good day as we were lucky to catch a lot of fish and as the evening came closer we traveled back to the village in our small boat. The day had gone well for many of our comrades and as we set together in the evening along with a big fire which had been made by some of our comrades, we were able to eat some fish and one of the elderly was telling stories about his past and the past of previous tribesmen.

One of these stories was a story of how a past warrior had settled on this exact land and established it as the base for all of us comrades. He was a warrior who according to his wise words came from deep in the north. He had fought for his family to safely feed themselves against all kinds of creatures. These creatures possessed great strength, had giant horns on their faces and be fast as light with their 4 legs. These creatures lived far too the north of us and he as a true fighter was able to fend them off and find a path south to our fertile lands. For myself, I think the stories of these great monsters are just legends and what our forefather really achieved was to find a good place for his sons and all his grandchild to live.

The evening passed and the true night began, it was getting colder, it was dark and as such, it was time for me and my fellow comrades to go sleep and dream about what we and future sons would achieve, surely it was for the most to beat great monsters, but I never felt like this was what I was called for into this world.
Clonefusion
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:48:47 AM
 Major

The night passed and the sun began to rise in the next morning again. It was mild in the morning, the sun was shining very bright and in the center of the village, u saw some men already preparing the village for what was to come on this day. My fellow warriors were getting swords and axes in wooden form out of one the houses, while at the same time setting up a small fire. As such I could tell that today we would be training our fighting skills today, our village was after all a village of proud warriors who had their heritage in the deep northern end of our known world and as such to keep strong to our heritage we also had to train fighting.

The morning passed and in the afternoon after training the whole morning we as group rest near the fire we had set up in the morning as some of us prepared food to eat in the evening. The sun was starting to go down again on this long day and as such one of the elderly, the wisest of them, began telling a story.

The story played less than a century ago, but it was a really important one for our tribe. Our tribe after being settled for a long time on this ground had grown to large size for our area. Our land was fertile, the water near us was plentiful and the rivers and sea next to us were filled with plenty of fish and as such we are able to feed a really large village. Live could have gone on normally for our tribe and we would have lived in peace ever after, but at that time one of our warriors decided we should use our advantage to spread our fortune and as such he decided all citizens, including women, had to train fighting. After a month of training, he took the best warriors our village had to offer and went south to conquer a rather big village on the coast. The village was similar to ours in many ways, it had the sea to the east and beautiful forests to the south, but these forests were also covering them in the west and the village was large compared to villages to our north and west, but still smaller than our village. Our warriors overran the village and forced the village into submission.

This village was before seen as the strongest in our region, now our tribe was filled with pride cause they owned the 2 largest villages in the region. This new village, the wise men of the elderly, did not just gives us glory and pride, it also gave us safety if bad times were to hit our village as if one of our villages was under threat, the one village could help the other. As such we were also helping us in good times, our village was surrounded by rivers with different fish than in the sea to our east, while the village to our south was filled with warmer climate and as such more food to catch and so we were providing them from this time with some good fish, while they were providing us with some meat and as such the hindsight of one our past warriors had improved the lives of our warriors as well as the life of the warriors to our south, which were now also our fellow warriors.

The evening passed into the night and as such it was time once again to go sleep, this time with the dream to one day also have as much hindsight.
Clonefusion
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:57:32 AM
 Major

Another night had passed and the sun began to rise again, on this day I went fishing once again, the day passed, nothing of importance happened and in this evening we went to be bed without a big fire or a story. I was sad and confused that this day had passed so quietly for me, but still, the evening just passed and another night began and ended in the same moment it felt like. Very early in the morning, we were all getting ready for something. There was confusion, not just for me, but also for other young Norsemen. The elder Norsemen were gathering us near a fire in the center, we were giving axes or told to get our own axes. Some Norsemen got hold of their own axes, while others were given one after this some time passed and my fellow Norsemen were muttering. Everyone seemed confused what would happen today, nobody really knew. I was starting to think, we had axes, it was early in the morning and literally, everybody was equipped with an ax, we must have been attacking someone, but then again I don't remember ever doing this before in my life before. I was getting scared, but just in this moment, the elders came.

The elders placed themselves in front of the fire and started telling us about the plans for today. We would first march south today to our other big village in the south. There we would combine arms with their warriors to then travel further south into Gotaland. We were planning to attack the Gotalandians and force them into submission.

Gotaland was a big region south of us, it was probably bigger than our region of Svealand, but it was less filled with waters and in total less fertile. Gotaland was a region filled with many forests, it had many small rivers and small lakes in comparison to our lakes, although it has to be taken into account, that all this knowledge was from other Norsemen, myself had never visited Gotaland before, the good thing about Gotaland was that in the winters it would get less cold and in the summers warmer than our region, but that is all that I had heard of Gotaland before.

The morning was cold and we began our march south, we crossed a lot of water over the day and our march was longer than I had expected, it took us the whole day to march to the northern village of the other tribe we ruled and as we reached it, we build some tents there to begin another night. It was time to sleep again, but this was the first time I realized how large our tribe is as we had spent a whole day just to march through all the territory which was our tribe and we had to march another day through lands of the other tribe we ruled as well as us holding lands in the north that stretched farther than these 2 tribes combined. The night passed and we continued our march on the next day to the southern village of the tribe, this time most of the day passed and in the evening we set up tents again to be ready for the next morning to pass into enemy territory.