Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Imperii Trans Mare Options · View
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 2:34:41 AM
 Captain

A new age dawns, a new government and almost a new nation. Atlassia though will continue to stand strong.

As the year 1444 came to a close, the nation known as Atlassia has undergone multiple changes. Not the least of which was the changing of the name. While internally the nation continues to Atlassia, and the name of it's citizens as Atlassians, on the maps of the world the nation has become commonly known as Afer Ultima. The former colonial region having started to be used to describe the entire nation due to it's geographical position and the movement of development to and integration of the African regions of the empire. While locally there is some resentment against the name change, most foreign people that work on an Atlas, did not want to credit Atlassia just from the name.

The Republic has also slowly eroded, not quite completely removed, but the great Patrician Houses no longer exist as they once did. Instead a new system has slowly shifted into place. Rulers still rule for life, and they are still chosen by a vote of powerful citizens, but instead of sorting by Patrician House, the system has shifted to representation by culture. The various representative cultures, Greek, Italian, Bedouin, and Berber each pushing for one of their own to be in power. The issue with this system though was that each culture operated in turn to limit the others and ensure a balance of power. The current ruler stands as an Italian, and while the Berbers may be the largest cultural group within the nation it is unlikely to provide the leadership of the nation anytime soon. If they did while the ruler would be strong, the system would likely see him as illegitimate, or more specifically, at risk of overturning the nation and establishing a hereditary state.

The future before Atlassia seems set in stone for the near future at least. With a war already started in Mali, more specifically, Atlassia squaring off against all it's former imperial states in the region, war in the South will likely take up much of Atlassia's time to start. Though the beginning of the reclamation of Hellenic Mali will be able to begin early.

In the Mediterranean, we have long time, not quite allies, but friendly neighbors when the nation isn't under AI control, in Leon (Controlled by Sauron) as our north-western neighbor. To the direct north we have the Abbasid controlled Gaul (or Gaulbassids, controlled by Khan), which is a relatively new state to the political arena, but has been friendly to Atlassia multiple times. A few times Atlassia and Gaul have fought on the same side as well. Our other northern neighbor is Italy (controlled by Dragoon.) Centuries of peace between our overall Empires was shattered right toward the end of the last age when Italy moved on Venice. Following the Venetian Defense War, and the following War of the Coalition, and finally the Italian-Atlassian Hegemonic War peace was re-established. In exchange, for peace with Italy, Atlassia has sworn off intervention within the Italian mainland Peninsula, as well as into the Balkans, Venetian Territory, and Greece. With the rapid collapse of Venice that is only likely to continue, Atlassia agreed as there are little interests to our nation left on the mainland.

To the far east we have Medina (controlled by Tazzo) and Kazaria (controlled by Clone.) They aren't our neighbors, but the two states will likely have some Mediterranean interests as they expand so they may interact with our state in the future.

Finally though, Atlassia is mostly focused on the propagation of trade. As long as wealth continues to flow, our state will remain strong and we'll be able to compete, and new cultures brought in from further afield will help us expand Hellenism and the Empire to the four corners of the world.

Atlassian Culture distribution, note that while we're called a Holy State, Atlassia is using the Mamluk Government type going forward.

Atlassian Diplomatic Situation at game start. I actually don't mind the war against the rest of Mali. I outsize them drastically, and this will just let me reconquer them and unite Western Hellenism faster.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to remove Islam from CK2 Atlassia, which is going to make it a pain to deal with in EU4, but I think I should be able to slowly work my way through the various scattered religions of Afer Ultima.
Ranger9000
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:10:02 PM
 Captain

Alio modo

The later half of the 1400s was a time of tribulations on the edges of the Atlassian Empire. The 1444 war with the successor hellenic Malian states went exceedingly poorly. Before the Atlassian army could transfer from Sardinia to the mainland the united Malian forces had already managed to take most of the Atlassian and our one allied minor states land beyond the Sahara. Following this was a lesson in constantly beating back incursions, excessive military spending, and crippling attrition. The united Malians had a number of very skilled generals just to make Atlassian's large numbers to be much less useful. Eventually Tangiers, who was the actual war leader, chickened out and the war ended without warning. The most southern province of Afer Ultima being handed over, as well as a break up of the already tenuous alliance between Afer Ultima and its one ally.

While Afer Ultima was stuck dealing with the south, the Kingdom of Africa ended up launching a war against the former Atlassian theocracy of Telmcen, and successfully took the region. Not willing to let that happen Afer Ultima turned it's armies around after the war and went head first into another. Given Africa was involved in wars with its cousins in Italy, along with a few other nations it was a pretty big push over. In the aftermath Afer Ultima's borders were looking much better. Though the leadership eyed the kingdom of Africa further, and it is likely that another war for Tunisia will begin soon.

First though, there was another war in the south. Atlassia's army once more marching to Mali but this time to deal with it's former allied state, which brought in most of the other Malian states except for the largest of them. This time around Atlassia was ready, and the great generals in the south had died. This left the 'coalition' utter doomed, and soon Atlassia would manage to unite the greater part of Mali, and begin it's expansion along the Ivory Coast.

At home, Afer Ultima has started to negotiate the trade routes of the Mediterranean. The merchants and ships of our nation starting to move goods toward Genoa, though there is still some difficulty getting trade to come from Alexandria, which is dominated by the Latin Empire, and Champagne, dominated by Bretonnia. Though thanks to Atlassian traders we've managed to make Genoa equal to Venice, though we hope that a bit more negotiation will turn Genoa into the greatest trade port in the world.

Ontop of that, Tangier is now the second most developed region in the world (at 40 development) with only Stockholm being better (45 Dev.) The far distant cities of lights easily eclipsing both the old capitals of the Roman Empire. In the future Afer Ultima plans to move more development to the outer areas rather then concentrate it.

Post Atlassia vs Kingdom of Africa (Sardinia) war borders. So nice and smooth.

Rebels, I had alot of them, they all came in a single wave that put me dealing with 60,000 rebels spread out across my nation.

Player map at the end of the session, with my post Second-Malian War borders.
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 1:58:48 AM
 Captain

A Procul Portu Auferetur

The last decades of the 1400s proved to be a continuation of the both growth, and troubles, of Atlassia. To be honest, that makes this chapter a bit hard to write. Most of the session was spent mostly building buildings, developing places, or steering trade. There was some more interesting parts though. First was the third Hellenic Malian War. This time targeting the 'large' Mali state, which was hopelessly outgunned with only 9,000 soldiers and 14 Force limit, against my own 25k troops in the area and much much larger force limit. The war ended up mostly being some wandering around and beating the snot out of Mali and the two minor stats that sided with it. By the end of the war I have more or less secured all of Mali I intend to, as any further territory either slips beyond my grasp due to starting claims timing out, or are outside of the play area.

This does give me quite a fair bit of useful land though, lots of Ivory and gold.

Then came the death of my ruler, and a test of the Mamluk succession. Luckily, everything is indeed working, and I am given quite a number of options for my successor. I picked an Italian king once more, and once again another Italian member of the Hercladae court is turned into a eunuch and set to rule the country. He was well, significantly more useful. 4/5/4 is much more well rounded then 6/4/0, though unfortunately he is rather old, starting at 52 and he doesn't even survive to the end of the session. His successor, a Berber from the Tangierian Houses, is 6/3/2. Still he's not exactly going to live very long either as Mamluk succession seems to pick people in their 40s or 50s for the most part.

An example of my choices

One of the big advantages of taking a Berber, and Mamluk government in general. 544 gold for literally doing nothing other then existing is very useful. Not to mention my ability to spontaneously spawn 20k+ manpower if I can finally get a leader with good military stats.

Other then that, I did some colonization. I've taken the CoT and Estuary on the Ivory Coast, as well as started colonizing large chunks of the horn of Brazil, though there is quite a fair bit of competition there unfortunately. Still, I think I can do fairly well in the colonization race. The issue is more going to be avoiding sparking off any major wars.

Never actually realized this was an event, but works out for me pretty good.
Ranger9000
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 6:23:22 AM
 Captain

Missa hominis nos

The early years of the 1500s continued much like the later years of the 1400. Slow and Steady Expansion being one of the major names of the game. Though 'slow' in this case was actually probably a fair bit faster then you would think. The colonial race really started to heat up this session when the Amazons node opened right near the end of the session, and within 8 years every single coastal province was taken by either myself, Great Britain or the Yinglings. At this point running 5 colonies at a time is a minimum just to keep up with the rush, which is a bit taxing on the bank account but nothing I can't keep up with as during this session I managed to lurch myself into the top earner in the game. Dragoon's Mupdate says I'm in second, but it seems to be discounting .8 ducats I made through spoils of war which put me .2 over him.

You might say this doesn't count, but I say otherwise.

As can be seen, a big part of it is finally getting my gold provinces all up to stuff. I now have 3 fully working gold mines that are all pumping out cash for me and are all relatively well protected deep within the borders of my empire. Two in Mali, and one on the south side of the Atlas Mountains. Part of this is because of my other grand project for the session, namely the creation of the Atlassian Backbone. Every mountain province in the Atlas range, and most highland territories are now covered in Forts, bringing me up to a total of 14 active ones with another ten or so in production or soon to be. Most of these are actively maintained and I'm hoping it'll make Afer Ultima so prickly and annoying to deal with that nobody would want to try an invasion of the home territory.

Mamluk Succession got a good work out this session too, with me going through a solid 4 rulers this session. Most dying within a 10 year period that seemed to be cursed, with the only unifying trait between them being the 6 for ADM (one was a 5) but now I'm sitting with a 6/3/3 who has lived for a while and is likely to die soon but he's been quite good for the country due to Entrepreneur helping me pull an extra bit from my trade. Indeed I have +75% trade efficency in Genoa, which is helping even my only even share with the other three powers pull in an insane amount of free money.

In 1508 Atlassian Soldiers following their Conquistador also made the discovery of an age. After years of hardship and searching they found the formerly mythical city of El Dorado. We keep its location a secret from the rest of the world but the funds it brings in are real, and our populace world wide is driven by the discovery. Soon the successful Conquistador is assigned a new task, re-positioned to the Americas he is sent in search of a new city. Eventually he stumbles onto the trail of the City of Sagenuay. Though he has died in the search, he has left notes and Atlassian expeditionary forces continue on the search for the mythical Latin city, hoping to repeat the success.

Yes, I did actually find El Dorado and somehow get the Ultimate version. It only amounts to +0.83 ducats a month in the end, but that -1 Revolt Risk is useful and hey, free money is free money.

Atlassian Explorers at sea were not idle either. Expanding the Atlassian maps of the world to include all the South Atlantic, much of the southern portions of the Mare Pacificum. Expansion into the Indian ocean has also given our maps all the way to the lands of Burma and China, as well as a new landmass we are calling Terra Australis. Though other then a tip sighted far in the horizon much of the land remains a mystery. Finally the Atlassian explorers managed to circumnavigate the globe in 1523.

It was a grand year for Atlassian overseas interests.

The last thing of note was the establishment of the Triangle Trade. The many slaves of Atlassia have become of great interest to the rest of the world to work the new world plantations.

Ranger9000
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 5:50:16 AM
 Captain

Quamdiu Sol est

This session included some notable jumps compared to the last. First off, the era opened up with a new governor, and a name change, for Acherusia. The colony was renamed into Elysium, and it has been taken over by James Craig who will hopefully play it through to the end of the mega campaign. The Treaty of Tangiers also came into being this session, though it's had some teething errors due to some bugs with the edit. So some territories didn't go to the right country, and I ended up with two colonies that I couldn't transfer to Elysium. The next session should have that all fixed hopefully.

This session also brought a fair bit of colonial expansion, mostly in South America, mostly because of Elysium. Finishing up colonizing the parts of Brazil that were agreed on by the Treaty, myself and James had much of the region colonized quite quickly, and James started to look for somewhere else to grow to. In the north, my colonial nation of Mu decided to go rogue and start getting into a bunch of wars. Ending up with it being absorbed by British Canada and a bit of Yngling Quebec. In South America though, Elysium ended up invading British Colombia quite successfully, and in the process more or less doubled Elysium's development, so I took it as a fair trade.

\
Elysium post annexing British Colombia. Note that Elysium's borders with the Yinglings, New Leon, and myself are all going to change a bit to agree with the Treaty.

In other news, I noticed how far behind I was falling in military size (and a bit in Naval size) and decided that needed to be fixed as soon as possible. The result was a grand nation wide recruitment campaign. Half a dozen cannons, some cavalry, and dozens of infantry units were raised up to fill out my force limit, which proved quite useful as my forces began to spread further and further across the globe to cover my growing colonies and ports.

My Manpower and Sailors actually managed to take the massive 40,000+ man recruitment relatively well.

In the east, I managed to capture Pegu, it was going to be my planned stepping stone into some spice island colonies, but unfortunately I forgot that coring range is tied to colonial range. As it is Pegu still works quite well as a base of operations for my Far East fleet and Garrison, and soon I managed to establish diplomatic relations in the area. Entering into an alliance with Yue and by extension Mahalavos. This ends up being one of the major things that happen in the session, as I end up joining in a major war. Yue, Mahalavos, myself, and condenterri from Ayuthaya all facing off against every other nation in India.

This proved to be a bit hotheaded, as our coalition found itself rapidly on the back foot up against a tide of well over 100,000 Indian troops facing off against about 26,000 Yue soldiers, another 26,000 Ayuthayans, 16,000 Atlassians, and 40-60,000 Mahalavos troops. We ended up losing badly, and most of Mahalavos was occupied, before we finally managed to reverse course. Inflicting heavy casualties on the Indians, and being supplied by my near endless tide of money, we just wore them down until we could rebuild more then them. Add onto that the arrival of a pair of extremely skilled generals from the Atlassian heartland, and we managed to reverse the course of the war in a month or two. Going from well on the back foot to relieving the entirety of Mahalavos and launching a major invasion of the Indians.

As of the end of the session the war is still going on, but hopefully it won't last to long into the next. Next session also will see the opening of the Caribbean, La Plata, and Australia, which is going to be very interesting given how many colonizers there are now.

The two generals from the Atlassian homeland, notably, both of them have an extra +1 to shock thanks to my current ruler worshipping Ares.
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 6:02:28 AM
 Captain

De Lingua Mundi

The languages of Atlassia at the time of the Slave 'Kings' were as varied as the population was. While there was many local regional dialects, the actual languages could be sorted into a few major groups in the early years of the nation. The first signs of the 'Great Merge' as it is known today would begin to show up approximately in the year 970. This was the first year that Berber, and to a lesser extent, Bedouin lords began to slip into Atlassian (Atlassium at the time, Atlassyym by 1600s) positions of power. Mande lords would also join in not long after, though their influence was mostly limited to the far south regions of the nation at the time.

At the time before the merge began Atlassium was a relatively unmodified iteration of Italian-Vulgar Latin and was mutually intelligible with the mainland Italian-Latin ('Middle Latin.') The initial drift had occurred during the independence break from the Byzantine Empire. The Atlassian lords began a quest to distance themselves from the old Roman Legacy and re-integrate one in line with their Greeco-Carthaginian claimed heritage. This resulted in many words reverting to what was seen as a more 'ancient' spelling and pronunciation. An example was the pronunciation of the world "Aether" revering to it's older 'aithḗr' styling.

By 970 AD Atlassium was still generally intelligible to a Middle Latin speaker, but with much more difficulty. By 1100 AD this was no longer the case. Due to both Middle Latin's beginning drift toward 'New Latin' ('Eastern/Imperial Latin') and Atlassium's early merger. With growing Berber and Mande influence among the population and nobility, Atlassium begun to pick up loan words and grammatical changes. Such changes were noticeably effected by local influence in Empire wide sectors. By this it is meant that Berber loan words and changes were more noticeable in the fields of trade and the navy, as well as philosophy as many Berber Hellenics joined in on the grand debates within the country. Mande meanwhile began to see its use in sectors of the military and spread out among hunters and mercenaries as well.

The first signs of Atlassium writing and grammar changes in full come from the year 1372, where a newly commissioned vessel was known as a 'Nafina' (previously it had been referred to as a 'Navis.' The writing, a record of the Cagliari head shipwright at the cities arsenal is the first recorded incident of the language change. By 1444 names had become fully integrated, with the ruler at the time containing an Arabic first name, and a Latin last name. By the 1500s grammar had started to merge more noticeably, with many words adopting either an Arabic tint, or structure. In 1600 the nation started to become internally more often known as Atlassyya. At this point 'Atlassium' had drifted into a language group of its own and had become almost completely unintelligible to Latin, Mande and Arabic speakers across the world from outside the nation.

---

As for the actual events this game. There was some interesting things here in bullet form.

A Treaty in Taters: Barely a few years after the ink on the Treaty of Tangiers had dried, and the borders set. The treaty was broken by a Scandinavian invasion of Elysium. The treaty breakers also brought with them the Kingdom of England, who brought with them Occitanian condenterri. The collection of two and a half nations attempted to both reclaim British Colombia, and expand Colonial Scandinavia. As it was a shipment of Atlassian soldiers arrived in Elysium just before the war was declared and managed to just dodge the blockade that was set up soon after the war started. Atlassia kept its heavies at home, though an attempt by the fleet to break the Scandinavian and British blockade was considered before being determined to be unnecessary. Thanks to the excellent leadership of Zenku Daoud the Atlassian regulars, supported by a significant contingent of Elysium militia, managed to engage the Occitanian and Scandinavian forces on relatively even ground. While the Atlassian forces casualties were much higher they fought the war to more or less a standstill and eventually the arrival of Latin condenterri to replace the badly damaged Atlassian regulars would end with the war being a white peace. Soon after the Scandinavians and Occitanians began to rival one another, and now the later are allies of Atlassia once more. For now peace once more reigns in South America.

The Benevolent Hand of Freedom: Elysium, played by James, was freed from its state as an Atlassian colonial nation. The split allows Elysium (now called Brazil) to colonize independently of the empire, and while we remain allies it also allows me to move some of my forces to foreign stations as Elysium takes up its own defense. While this hit my economy hard (an immediate loss of approximately 20 ducats and when the month actually rolled over it was closer to 30 a month) I recovered shortly after and I hope I've made an friend for the rest of the game in the colonial state now that we won't have to eventually fight over his freedom.

More Colonization: Exactly what it says. Both La Plata and the Caribbean opened this session, and while I initially tried landing in Florida, I soon abandoned the colonies to Occitania and instead focused on creating a new CN in La Plata which is coming along nicely.

Global Trade: I finally got an institution for myself, there was really no doubt that Genoa was going to be the spawn of the Global Trade institution as while the English Channel is somewhat strong and has 3 nations feeding it, it just lacks the sheer projection power at the moment as Genoa, though as America develops I expect this to change eventually. Regardless I managed to get more local trade power then Dragoon and grab the institution, though I believe Dragoon has embraced it before I have due to me not having as many CoTs as I'd like.

The economies of myself and my neighbors. Dragoon is well in the lead due to controlling both Genoa and Venice (and having a rather massive production income) but given I've hit the 'already have more money then I can spend' point I don't think it matters that much.

And my pie charts. As can be seen I'm a pretty big amalgamation of cultures, with Berber being the largest group by a notable margin.
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:54:02 AM
 Captain

Pugnare, certare et pugna iterum

This session was honestly, one I'd almost rather forget. Not to say I didn't gain ground or the like, the issue is that almost everything this session happened through war which is what I wanted to avoid. Not to mention the almost complete collapse of my South East Asian diplomacy. In point form.

Grudge War: Following the Yinglings's breaking of the Treaty of Tangiers it would be a bit of an understatement that I was bearing a grudge. It's one thing to break a treaty made only in private (though still a pretty big pisser) but a publicly known and agreed upon treaty? At least to myself in the mindset of Atlassya this was effectively as much of an insult. The equivalent of the Yingling Ambassador dropping his pants in the middle of a meeting and leaving a large mess in the middle of the table before running out of the room. So needless to say when the opportunity presented itself it was time to strike back. The Latin Empire also wanted in on the war in exchange for territory in the region to assist with the later colonization of Mexico. The result was a very lopsided affair on the continent proper as the Yinglings did not put up any men in resistance. At sea it was a different tale though. The Atlassyyan and Latin fleets attempted to engage the Yingling navy off Cape Orange. I will let the following Wikibox show the results.

It seems to have almost entirely been on Scandinavia's better admiral and to a lesser extent due to about a dozen of my Galleons being actually older ships I had missed upgrading due to being in Far East Deployment. An attempted capture of Havanna by Atlassyyan troops nearly succeeds but it caught late in the siege by Yingling forces and destroyed. In the end though the war is a success for the Atlassyyan-Elysium-Latin Empire alliance and the Yinglings are kicked out of South America.

The Great Colonial Wave: This session saw the 13 Colonies, Mexico, and South Africa open up for colonization. Most of my efforts were focused toward the last of those, as well as finishing up La Plata and creating a small colony in North Carolina.

The Two Wars of the Strait: Leon, being currently AI, proved to be an INCREDIBLE pain in the ass this session. To say the least. At two different points it went to war with Elysium over territory in Brazil and both times I ended up dragged into it. Both wars we ended up winning with a complete white peace the first time, and some monetary recompense the second time. Atlassian troops proved themselves in the field though, managing to beat a Leonese Mercenary stack in Iberia.

War in the East: Just to bring this session to the point where I was very annoyed with its flow. After the 1610 War in the colonies, and the 1614 War with Leon, I was brought into a war in 1615-1616 in Asia. Jinshi had taken offense to my ally Yue's expansion into Burma and relative slowness in expanding into South East Asia. So he took it upon himself to do the expanding personally. Needless to say Yue having an army barely 1/6th of Jinshi's standing forces didn't have much of a chance, especially when Korea came in with Jinshi to bring another 100,000 or so troops up against Yue's barely 40,000.

Even with 23,000 Atlassyyan troops backed up by 3,000 Pegu Irregulars there was no real hope of fending off the combined invasion. The only real notable battle that occurred before Yue surrendered and my forces fell back to Pegu was in the Hanwei mountains, with Jinshi forces attacking against my troops supported by Yue. It was only thanks to myself having a 3 star general (Mamluk Gov really helps spawn these guys) that we had a hope at all of not being immediately stack wiped. In the end we were forced to retreat but not without bloodying Jinshi's nose a bit. Though I doubt it even effected his manpower reserve but still, got my licks in.

Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 6:56:00 AM
 Captain

Post temporis spatium interpositum

Economic Revival: Having been away for the last two sessions, my nation being subbed by the former Yue player Gutrage, I have been relatively silent the last few weeks. Gutrage proved adept at keeping my empire from blowing to shreds (which I was worried the AI would do) and he also oversaw some rather significant development growth of the home areas, but he wasn't quite as adept at the trade game. Not to say he was bad at it, as he still managed to bring in a fairly solid income, but this session I managed to easily add another 200 ducats a month income to Atlassia, settling my total income at a rather significant number. Putting only a few nations ahead of me once again. This income is rather definitely needed, especially as the session came to its end with the opening of Ohio and Louisiana, as it allows me to go well over my colony limit and still make a solid enough income.

The First Khazarian-Atlassian War: This session went by extremely slowly, we only managed about 20 years, but in the same breath this was probably the most interesting session so far. It was a near constant series of player wars. The session started off for me with Khazaria showing up in Elysium and dumping 100,000 troops onto South America's shores. Notably before his transport fleet could get home it was intercepted by the Atlassian navy and badly damaged. The war more specifically ended up being Elysium, Atlassia, and Leon, as well as both mine and Leon's colonies vs Khzaria. While his 100,000 troops was significant, and he had quite strong forces. He ended up facing off against 78,000 Atlassians, approximately 80,000 Leonese, approximately 150,000-200,000 Elysians, as well as another 100,000 or more from the various colonies. We also were in a much better position to reinforce our forces and he had to contend with forts. In the end casualties were high but we managed to crush his forces and bring him to a white peace. It should be noted that the battle gave us some guess on the relative 'power' of Elysium's, Mine and Leon's forces now that the ledger has been locked. In general Leonese forces could fight Khazarias 1 to 1, my own forces needed about 1.5 to each of Khazaria's 1, and the Elysians needed over a 3 to 1 advantage to achieve victory. Mostly this seemed to come down more to a drastic gulf in army morale more then anything else.

The Twenty Years War: Meanwhile while the above was happening, and as already mentioned in King of Men's post. There was another major war going on almost the entire session, namely the war in the East. Dragoon, Korea, Malaya, and a number of others were fighting China and Ayathuyya. The casualties in this war were apparently large enough to literally cause an overflow error in the counter, and I'm sure they were well over a million a side. This war ended up engaging pretty much every nation other then Khazaria and Medina at one point or another. In the end the notable confusion that was this entire war resulted in a whole lot of conflicting information. Joining Leon in the war, which I figured might be a good chance to snag some land in Malaysia, instead Leon targeted it against Korea which I knew was intended to be a secondary part of it but what I wasn't expecting was a prompt armistice with Malaya, and I was expecting us to not end up fighting the Latin Empire at all. Still, Atlassia does not abandon its long time allies and I sent my forces alongside the Leonese to Korea. Landing at Yantai the Atlassian forces quickly secured the area. The 28,000 men held the line at the peninsula to cover the eventual withdrawal of Leonese forces and were subsequently crushed by a much larger Korean force before they themselves could evacuate.

Meanwhile the evacuation of those Leonese troops was because the Latin Empire allied with Malaya, and due to unclear war declarations, promptly launched a land invasion of Leon and Sicily. Needless to say this was a Gigantomachia level event and more or less a complete disaster diplomatically. The fortress guarding the Sicilian Strait held the line there for a little bit of time, while Dragoon sent the majority of his army in Europe to blast through the Leonese Fortress line in the Pyrenees. The fortresses bought us a little bit of time to try to rally up our armies outside Barcelona. 60,000 Atlassian forces from all across the commonwealth met up with 100,000 Leonese troops in preparation to fend off the Latins. Behind them easily another 100,000 were attempting to reach the battle in time, but would fail to make it before the battle was more or less decided.

I think the following numbers speak for themselves.

It was a massacre. A mix of better positioning as far as the Latin Empire's battleline was set up, and just in general Dragoon's obscene degree of combat bonuses. Leon and myself probably could have kept the war running much longer, but to be honest neither of us wanted that devastation on our lands, and dragoon was offering a white peace. Add onto that Korea had lowered the wargoal against China from an 80 ish% warscore to a 60 ish% warscore and we considered our goals accomplished and bowed out of the war.

Though there was one upside for the Atlassian battle record, for the first time in a while the Latin naval supremacy was tested and beaten, with Atlassia taking the victory in a battle of the Cape of Good Hope when our fleets returning from Asia ran into each other by accident.

Edit: Picture mistake was made, the battle dates were in 1739 not 1719
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 9:48:47 AM
 Captain

Crescente viribus nostris

The Last Frontier: Not quite the actual last frontier, but the last for this era opened properly this session. A colonial rush promptly as a result started. Atlassia was in a position to finally be one of the most rapid colonizers, with its rather impressive economy allowing it to have a significant number of colonies at the same time. With a total of 178 ducats a month being put into colonies at its highest point. This allowed the rapid completion of both Carolina (now renamed Rharia) to its maximum size, and the creation of a new state along the lower Mississippi river known as Hades. Combined these two states are actually relatively on par with the British Colonies in the north, and the Korean blob that formed this session.

The Third Khazarian-Hellenic War: You might be wondering just where the 'Second Khazarian-Hellenic War' was. Well, it was barely worthy of being called a war. Khazaria attacked Atlassia over Cape Verde while the Atlassian Navy had been away in Malaysia and the war ended in less then a month without a single battle being fought as Atlassia surrendered the islands. The Third Khazarian-Hellenic war on the other hand was a significant experience in blood letting even compared to the First War. Khazaria once again opened the war by attempting to land a surprise assault on Elysium. The Elysian fleet though managed to drive back Khazaria's transport navy though with little casualties. In the end though Khazaria withdrew their fleet to Cape Verde, and the Atlassian navy promptly blockaded them there leaving well over 100,000 Khazarian troops stranded on the small islands.

Meanwhile the Khazarian Frigate Navy launched an assault against the Atlassian trade fleets that were protecting trade in Aleppo and Alexandria. Nearly two dozen Atlassian trade ships were attacked and sunk before the second half of the Atlassian combat navy came to drive the Khazarian fleet back to Crimea. Only a small engagement occuring off the coast of Egypt before the Khazarians used their faster speed to retreat. The Atlassian Navy pursued and pushed into the Sea of Marmara to begin a distant blockade of Khazaria. Though it was soon engaged by the larger combined Khazarian Combat Fleet. The numbers were relatively even, and both admirals were skilled, but whereas the Khazarian fleet was primarily comprised of admittedly excellent Khazarian Frigates, they were not strong enough to match the Atlassian Ships of the Line in head to head combat.

Making use of the narrow sea, the Khazarian navy suffered heavy casualties. Though their surviving ships and officers brought back a not insignificant amount of combat experience.

The war from there moved to the land. More specifically Khazaria made use of long existing treaties with the Latin Empire and Medina, to march its forces to Atlassian North Africa proper. The Atlassian home forces promptly withdrew across the Libyan desert to Sfax. The Khazarian forces were held up for approximately a hundred days by the Atlassian border fort which bought time for Atlassia to ship in soldiers from all across the commonwealth to bolster its main force. The Atlassian army intending to draw the Khazarians into attacking at Sfax. A smaller force of Atlassian troops were left to guard the fort, while the majority of the army remained behind the region. The plan succeeded and the Khazarian army was engaged in open combat. Casualties at the battle of Sfax were high for the Atlassian forces, more specifically for the initial force that held the Khazarians in place long enough for reinforcements to arrive. These men were mostly infantry unsupported by cannon and suffered heavily to the Khazarian artillery.

The Battle of Sfax was hardfought, and despite the Atlassian forces drastically outnumbering the Khazarians, disparities in leadership became prevalent as during this period Atlassia experienced a lack of skilled land commanders until close to the wars end.

The Battle of Sfax proved to be the turning point in the momentum of the war, and the Atlassian forces ended up pursuing the Khazarians across the Libyan desert, and laying siege to their own border fort now in Khazarian control. During this period there was a noticeable choice in tactics that allowed the Atlassian Army to remain its edge, namely the establishment of multiple supply depots that managed to drastically reduce losses to attrition. The Khazarian army mostly relied on the better supply areas of Latin Libya for their own camping while awaiting reinforcement, but in the end when the battle was joined once again at the fortress of Sirt, the Atlassians once more managed to come out ahead.

Once again the Atlassians suffered heavier casualties then their Khazarian counterparts, at least in the infantry lines. It was thanks to the significant Atlassian reserves that their lines held and their artillery was able to do its work.

From there the Khazarian army retreated into Kong, and eventually reached the Gold Coast. The Khazarian force never quite regained the ability to properly challenge the Atlassian army, but the chase through Africa lasted quite some time, and managed to extract nearly another 100,000 or more casualties from both sides. The Khazarian army proved itself near indomitable in moral, and even after a long series of losses and being outnumbered significantly, continued to fight on until it was finally completely destroyed in one last battle along the Coast.

After this the Atlassians and Khazarians came to an armistice, while they waited for news of the conflict to reach Elysium and return, and after the equally lengthy time it took for the response to come back to Europe, the war ended.

While on an initial glance, the Khazarians suffered heavier then the Atlassians in this war, and this isn't entirely untrue, a more indepth analysis will show that the casualty numbers only tipped in Atlassia's favour right near the end of the fighting when the Khazarian army was reduced to the most part to artillery and artillery guardsmen, with their primary line infantry and cavalry having already been taken out in earlier battles.

All in all, the Khazarian-Atlassian war showed me a few things. First it showed that at least with home field advantage, the Atlassian army could keep up with one of the big three to some extent. If I hadn't had such utterly useless leaders the whole war it is likely the casualty ratios might not have been so lop sided. Second. A not insignificant number of my casualties also came from my army organization. Khazaria had a much more significant Artillery to 'other' ratio in all its stacks, while mine were organized into 3-4 'all front line' stacks backed up by one stack that contained all the artillery. Most of my casualties came from these all front line stacks when they used their speed or sheer mass to bog down the Khazarians, long enough for the 'center' army to catch them. When it actually came down to two lines of 40 artillery + a full front line the casualties tended to be more even, but with Khazaria's leader it wasn't unusual to see my forces suffering extremely high casualties on bad rolls. (In the realm of 4,000 plus a day on a bad roll for me and a good roll for him) if we had had equal numbers in the battles I am willing to admit he would have likely won hands down. Now though I do have a three star general so I am hoping that should I end up in another war like this I will be able to put out better figures.

Third, it showed was that I had neglected my Libyan fortifications, which have now been fixed and significantly expanded. Hopefully they should now buy me a bit more time to rally up my forces in case of another war.
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 2:45:56 AM
 Captain

In lew of an AAR this week due to this session being pretty much not much of interesting happening. Have a number of polandballs I've made related to the game over the last two weeks.

What the world thinks of Atlassia

A general image of all the colonizers that I cared to put on here and their colonies (can you guess which colonies are which?)

Latin-Scandinavian War

Thirty Year China War Part 1

Ranger9000
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 9:31:49 PM
 Captain

About the summary of this session, involving a culmination of events

King of Men
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 7:04:52 AM
 Legatus legionis

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

It should probably be 'gib'? Anyway that aside, crosspost to Paradox!

Read my blog.
Norway Rome The Khanate Scotland Scotinavia Christendie the Serene Republic has always been at war with the Bretons False Empire Caliphate Persians Russians English Hungarians Oceanians Saracen Jackal! Death, death, death to the Frogs barbarians infidels necromancers vodka-drinking hegemonists Sassenach nomad menace Yellow Menace heathen Great Old One!
Ranger9000
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 7:24:20 AM
 Captain

As a send off to EU4, here's an Atlassiaball, China War Part 2