Bihar's new flag.

Their game can only exist to be won.
Then so be it who else can see it done.
The Professor
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 4:54:55 PM
 General of the Army

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

Zirotron's flag for when he becomes Canada:

I'm kinda not sure about this one, as the square aspect ratio for EU4 flags makes it difficult to nicely place flag details. Nominally the emblem should be in the middle of the empty space on the right, with the canton in the top left, but, this doesn't look as nice when it's square, I was tempting to have the maple leaf just lie in the bottom right, but then I didn't think it looked right either and may have long term ramifications on the timeline.

Since Colonial nations apparently can't have their flags modded here's a brief walk through as to my process.

Paradox flags must be 128 by 128 pixels and in .tga format.

I use Aseprite as my Pixel Art program of choice as it has support for reference layers.

As you can see here, I can preset my canvass to the desired size; though in the future as I make more use of reference layers this may have to change.

Here is my biggest challenge with Aseprite's reference layers functionality; since its the only program that lets me do something like this, I don't have much options and have to make do.

The flag is originally by some twice as wide as it is tall aspect ratio, it is not resized to be square to match the canvass, instead is resized while preserving its aspect ratio.

Each of those squares is 16 by 16 pixels, so even if the original reference image was 3000 by 1500 I can overlay pixel art over it; for flag work and making characters I either use a reference image or sketch the image I intend to draw and then trace over it.

To get around the aspect ratio issue and to avoid having to excessively resize my work (as resizing pixel art loses details), I open a new tab and break down my reference image into differently sized canvasses.

For example, I made the Maple Leaf in a 64 by 64 canvass.

Their game can only exist to be won.
Then so be it who else can see it done.