Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Poll Question: Next Monday Game should be...
Choice Votes Statistics
Hearts of Iron 2 (1936/1938/...) 1 12%
Hearts of Iron 2 (Abyss/some mod) 4 50%
Victoria 1 12%
Europa 2 0 0%
Europa 3 1 12%
Crusader Kings 0 0%
Something else... 1 12%

Next Monday game Options · View
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:11:12 PM
 Field Major

It's too early to talk about end of current game and I'm also prepared to play beyond eventual annexation of Germany. But I'd like to know what kind of game would you like to play after this. Another HoI2? Vicky? Crusaders? Or Europa? My own preference would be:

1. Vicky
2. Europa - that is EU2/3 (but it's really tempting to try EU3 in MP first, I never did that yet)
3. HoI
4. CK (last because of stability)
Anders
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:08:23 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

I am currently engaged in a CK-Massive Conversion game, all the way to HoI2: Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse Break the seven Seals Big Grin See the TWBW thread in Multiplay section here or at Pox forum.
My experience is that the game is a lot more unstable than Armageddon, or possibly even Vicky. Progress in a 4-hour session has been 10 game years at most. We've managed about 4-6 years on a typical session. (Using the Deus Vult upgrade/patch)
I'd much rather play EU II and learn that, as that's the next step from CK. Vicky is my second choice. I think I've learnt something from all those defeats. (Lesson 1: Never turn your back to Schürmann...)
I don't know if EU III is that ideal for our very varied computers and connections. My machine and connection will probably be sufficient for hosting purposes, but the game itself sacrificed a lot of potential customers for lots and lots of useless eye candy. With my previous machine/video card, the game ran like Very Slow on the fastest setting. But I'm willing to have a go at it, of course! But let's test it out before we decide.

Priorities:
1. EU II / EU III
2. Vicky
3. CK
4. HoI2

Alternately we could play one of the mods.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
Vissarion
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:10:44 PM
 Lieutenant General

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 14000th Post

My preference would be EU (2 or 3), then HoI again. It doesn't matter much to me, HoI is the only game I've played much in mp and I still like that, but it would also be nice to try the others.

boing boom tschak, boing boom tschak
peng
zong
M&M
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:31:14 PM
 General

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

well i've yet to properly play EU3, my last attempts to play it were met with significant frustration after repeated crashes and slow performance on my PC which was more than capable of handling it. A few patches came out since then so i guess I could be able to play it, although I'd be totally clueless about the gameplay.

I really enjoyed the vicky games as well and it might be nice to play another again, but I would also be interested in trying out the different HoI 2 mods out there as well.
cueball
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:48:17 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

I'd be really interested in doing Eu2. Nothing I have seen about EU3 attracts me to it really. For example the lack of historical events bothers me. I started a game with some guys on the EU2 WATK mod, and that seems pretty good, so I might be able to free up some time for doing that. But I have not played EU2 MP, for a great long while and only done it 4 or 5 times.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
Ederon
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 12:15:29 AM
 Field Major

cueball wrote:
But I have not played EU2 MP, for a great long while and only done it 4 or 5 times.

Most of Mondayers is HoI players, recently converted to Vicky and to lesser extent CK. I used to play EU2 a lot some 5 years ago, then I played few MP games (just 2 or 3 complete campaigns in MP). So you are by no means behind us in this Wink
M&M
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 12:16:30 AM
 General

We could play a proper abyss game like the game we started up a while ago. But this time with perminant players for as much nations as we can get. I believe that would be a blast.
Hytzon
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 8:20:57 AM
 Brigadier General

I would also like to try a EUII or EUIII game. After the NA expansion, my EUIII game runs a good deal faster and it has a lot of nice features in it, so I think it should be a must. I do like all the historical events in EUII, but after having played EUIII:NA for some time, I also see the advantage of leaving them out. It gives a much more free game and when we play MP, we have the chance to develop and build a story for our own countries.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 3:13:31 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

M&M wrote:
We could play a proper abyss game like the game we started up a while ago. But this time with perminant players for as much nations as we can get. I believe that would be a blast.

That would be really nice, yes. I have doubts about how long the game would be, but then again we did pretty good in the one we started. I am just afraid player nations will be annexed by 1937/38, only to find themselves in sub nations that have been AI for the most part. But having fierce naval battles as Bourbon against some South American nation would be quite fun. And finally som fight all over the world, for example the americas. ONe thing i dont like about it is the "small" number of nations. 3 nations altogether in the Americas for example, or only 2 in africa, with only 1 of them absed there, is too low, as those continents are rather large, and would make for some fun fighting. One could do some terrain modding as well, so it isnt all jungle in africa or the s. americas.

I would also go for another Vicky game.

Not so much for the other games, but then again that is because i havent played them and dont own them. A EU2-Vicky campaign would be nice, though. No conversion to Hoi, EU2-Vicky seems reasonable.

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
Vissarion
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 4:03:25 PM
 Lieutenant General

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 14000th Post

I too find the abyss scenario interesting, but it seems inevitable that everybody is at war after 6 months. There really isn't enough reasons to not go conquering your neighbour right away, and I don't find it that fun to be fighting with the basic units.

peng
zong
M&M
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 11:00:18 PM
 General

Actually I found it the most fun fighting with such basic units, players usually have very high expectations of their troops and armour but so early on they're quite useless. There was also no combat with 100+ divisions, each single division adds a whole lot to combat, whoever builds the most units early has the advantage. Besides with alliances people could split research times and get more advanced stuff quickly, really giving them an edge in active combat. Resouces are also quite short, forcing people to go out and get them Big Grin.
Vissarion
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 6:48:13 AM
 Lieutenant General

Yeah, I guess. One good thing about the game we started is that there was a big alliance of AI nations that got hit by the human players, giving the human nations resources. I think that could have made a pretty interesting situation later on. I wouldn't mind continuing that one actually.

peng
zong
Anders
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 3:59:01 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

Victoria. Possibly followed by a HOI2 conversion.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

M&M
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 4:31:42 PM
 General

Anders wrote:
Victoria. Possibly followed by a HOI2 conversion.

Last time we tried that you all chickened out Tongue.
Mr.G
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 4:56:02 PM
 Major

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 8000th post

Problem with conversion, at least IMO is that it makes Vicky completely useless. There is no point to win in Vicky when in 2 years of fighting you can wipe out 100 years of building a country. Everything we do in Vicky would just be to lead up to HoI2 and that misses the point IMO. All other conversions are fine but HoI2 is such a dramatic change in Paradox games.

Abyss scenario should be fun but HoI2 doesn't really lend to alliance making but as long as we do the right thing in terms of not ganging up on people and try to keep it equal when the world indeed breaks up into 2 alliances.

Vissarion
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 5:04:48 PM
 Lieutenant General

We haven't made a really serious attempt at Abyss yet. The thing about it is that it seems to require all nations to be player controlled to function properly. If we start a series with that scenario we should try to arrange so that each player gets about the same number of AI neighbours.

peng
zong
Hytzon
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:01:02 PM
 Brigadier General

Can you attach a poll Ederon? I think it gives a better overview of the situation.

You can't say civilization don't advance - for in every war, they kill you in a new way.
M&M
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:05:50 PM
 General

Hytzon wrote:
Can you attach a poll Ederon? I think it gives a better overview of the situation.

heh, I was just making a seperate poll too. But I guess I'll wait to see if ed can polify this.
Ederon
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:14:01 PM
 Field Major

So let's vote then
Anders
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:18:04 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Oooh, look; 100% for HoI2 ! *locks thread*

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Ederon
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:26:13 PM
 Field Major

I went with "something else", as I'd do either EU2 or EU3.
M&M
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:29:28 PM
 General

well abyss is basicly vicky but with hoi2 weapons, so vote for that Tongue.
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:04:35 PM
 Field Major

It's pretty even so far. Come on guys, vote! It's time to turn the tide. Choice
Vissarion
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:38:20 PM
 Lieutenant General

Lord Ederon wrote:
I went with "something else", as I'd do either EU2 or EU3.

Doesn't "Europa 2" and "Europa 3" cover those? Also, finally a good use for that smiley.

I'm still waiting to cast my vote. PM me for paypal address. Smoke

peng
zong
Ederon
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:01:23 PM
 Field Major

Vissarion wrote:
I'm still waiting to cast my vote. PM me for paypal address. Smoke

LOL