Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Top 5 generals of WWII (Flag Officers) Options · View
sonofliberty
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:08:00 PM
Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

Mine?
1) Omar Bradley
2) Guderian
3) Zhukov
4) Rommel
5) Tie between Nimitz and Yamamoto

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

There is a new game on the way Project Blitzkrieg
von_Bock
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 1:19:29 AM
 Major

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal

1) Manstien
2) Guderian
3) Vatutin
4) Hoth
5) Kesselring

"The pen is mightier then the sword and I just got defeated by both" Ryan W.
sonofliberty
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 3:58:33 AM
Free Man

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalBiggest Spammer '08 Award

von_Bock wrote:
1) Manstien
2) Guderian
3) Vatutin
4) Hoth
5) Kesselring
All germans I see. If they were all so great, why did they lose?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

cueball
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 4:01:49 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Well its very easy to notice those who succeed when the odds are for them, but success is also measured relative to what can be lost.

Mannerheim (did the most with the least)
Mikhail Kirponos (for holding the Southwestern front together and not getting out of Kiev when the going was good)
Konstantine Timoshenko (for holding it together when all was lost)
Von Arnim (Held Tunesia together after Rommel Fucked of)
General Zhu Teh ( for conducting the 100 Regiments against the Japanese in 1940 over Mao's objections )

My runner up is, Von Manteufal for saying: "Any competent officer can command a Panzer Division, it takes a genius to supply one."

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

Small patch from XTPS or NZQS 1.2 to NZQS 1.3b: Goering EIR -- Patch 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
sonofliberty
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 4:17:17 AM
Free Man

I honestly forgot mannerheim. The only negative thing I can say about him is that he refused to delegate. Aside from that, he was a truly excellent soldier and politician.

von_Bock
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 4:41:27 AM
 Major

sonofliberty wrote:
All germans I see. If they were all so great, why did they lose?
oh with that criteria i guess the best were

Eisenhower
Zhukov
Konev
Montgomery
Patton

edit: Vatutin was Russian btw, he orchestrated some brilliant operations in the Ukraine in 1943

1. Manstein, He planned the ardennes push in Fall Gelb, He successfully conquered the Crimea in a very decisive mannor against a large opponent. Achieved the most unprobable victory of the war with the third battle of kharkov
2. Guderian, He was the mastermind behind the Blitzkrieg strategy, He successfully commanded Panzer forces throughout the duration of the war.
3. Vatutin, He was the man who planned the operations around Kursk then later up to Kiev where he was able to push the Germans across the Dnepr
4. Hoth, Successfully commanded his Panzer army for 3 years in Russia achieving many huge strategic victories (Minsk, Vitebsk and the 2nd battle of Kharkov)
5. Kesselring, Was able to achieve a strategic stalemate in Italy despite being outgunned by the allies (they never did break through until 1945)

Zhukov had many battles where he had superiority and still lost because of failure of concept that led to many casualties (Operation Mars)
British Generals for the most part fought conservatively (which is not a bad thing) and had a competant general staff
The Americans had many good officers, but in the end faced mostly depleted 2nd line forces. (who cant beat that?)
The Japanese fought with infantry tactics that required very little innovative thought (Im not saying they were dumb)
The Russians had some good overall leadership but it was mostly gone after the purge (Tukachevsky)

last sunday game, Schuerman lost to Phadishar. does that mean phadishar was the better general in that game?

"The pen is mightier then the sword and I just got defeated by both" Ryan W.
Geofactor
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 6:04:53 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

i have no idea if any of this is true or not....but if it is my vote is not for Eisenhower!
Eisenhower's West Point Military Academy graduating class yearbook, published in 1915, Eisenhower is identified as a "terrible
Swedish Jew."

In 1943, Washington not only transferred Col. Eisenhower to Europe but promoted him over more than 30 more experienced senior officers to five star general and placed him in charge of all the US forces in Europe.

Wherever Eisenhower went during his military career, Eisenhower's Jewish background and secondary manifesting behavior was a concern to his fellow officers.

During World War II when Col. Eisenhower was working for Gen. Douglas McArthur in the South Pacific, McArthur protested to his superiors in Washington (DC) that Eisenhower was incompetent and that he did not want Eisenhower on his staff.

Eisenhower was responsible for " Operation Keelhaul " - where allied forces rounded over two million anti-Communists who escaped Stalin and tuned them over to Russian forces. Part of the Yalta Agreement between the Big Three — Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill — involved the repatriation of Russians to their respective homelands where they were either immediately executed or sent to die in the Gulag.

In 1945 Eisenhower threw 1.7 million Germans in open fields which killed approx 1.2 million

wpeD0.jpg (10558 bytes)

In the North Africa campaign, Eisenhower went to Gibraltar, built a fortified bunker, threw tantrums, and blamed his generals, and his soldiers, for his battle fiascos. Rommel annihilated a US battalion at Kasserine Pass, because Eisenhower didn't use reconnaissance, or provide air cover.

Eisenhower's incompetence, his remote headquarters, and his flaunting of Kay Summersby, infuriated the commanders.
In 1943 Eisenhower is the Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe.Gen. Montgomery considered Eisenhower a clown.

Battle Of The Bulge -Eisenhower's Blunder

Hitler built a massive offensive, hid it in the Ardennes forest, while Eisenhower was at Telegraph cottage, with Summersby, and his dog 'Telek'.

Patton warned Eisenhower about the possibility of a German attack. Patton took Bastogne, and saved Eisenhower from a real catastrophe.

If Hitler had captured Antwerp, it could have cost 200,000 American lives, and resulted in a negotiated surrender. As it was, there were 81,000 US casualties, with 18,000 dead........so von....what great battles did you base your choice of Eisenhower on?

""The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.".....Thomas Jefferson"
anonymous....we are legion...we dont forgive....we dont forget....expect us...
Geofactor
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 6:17:36 AM
 Lieutenant Colonel

oh and btw....here is my choice!......http://judicial-inc.biz/Pa_tton_speech.htm

""The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.".....Thomas Jefferson"
anonymous....we are legion...we dont forgive....we dont forget....expect us...
Anders
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 6:23:01 AM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

1. Josip Broz "Tito"
For leading the Yugoslav liberation forces, and building and running a stable Yugoslav state.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:
I would tend to agree with Anders.

Support Ederon.net via your Amazon purchases!

I joined Ederon.net before it became mainstream
M&M
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 7:36:37 AM
 General

Quote:
last sunday game, Schuerman lost to Phadishar. does that mean phadishar was the better general in that game?

Correction, schuerman lost to me, I was playing the SU before the surrender Tongue.
cueball
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 8:33:57 AM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalInspiring Poster '08 AwardAuthor of 10000th Post

Anders wrote:
1. Josip Broz "Tito"
For leading the Yugoslav liberation forces, and building and running a stable Yugoslav state.

I was thinking of Tito too, though its hard to tell if he was a great general, or just a great politician. He was certainly the latter.

For a straighforward copy over zip version go here: Goerings Delay -- NZQS -- 1.3b.rar

The Mod can also be set up with the Jones Generic Mod Enabler and has worked fine in that mode in my tests. This version has everything in it, 1.3beta, JSGME and the East is Red patch, and can be installed straight to your Armageddon 1.2 (ZBLV) folder without disrupting vanilla at all. It has the 1.3beta exe update and JGSME Mod system right in it. Just unzip to your main doomsday folder, copy the contents of the folder, then past into the main folder, then enable the mod using the JSGME system. Once you execute the JSGME it is pretty self-explanatory: EIR NZQS --ARMA 1.3beta complete 1.3b

It would be a dangerous folly for the British people to underrate the enduring position in world history which Mussolini will hold; or the amazing qualities of courage, comprehension, self-control and perseverance which he exemplifies.

Sir Winston -- 1937
Anders
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:24:28 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership Medal2012 Good Cause Support MedalBanned in ActionAuthor of 7000th post

In your mod, please remove his -5% IC trait. It's unseemly.

"Hvor fattige var de ikke, disse fiskere som levde av havets nåde! De slet sig gjennom livet uten å se sig om til høire eller til venstre. Deres gleder var få, deres bekymringer mange. Men de hadde allikevel et gemyttlig smil til den fremmede, en munter vise og en lun historie. For sånn er de, disse Sørlandets barn."

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Ederon
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:31:47 PM
 Field Major

Anders wrote:
In your mod, please remove his -5% IC trait. It's unseemly.

Why?
Anders
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 1:16:23 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Lord Ederon wrote:
Why?

Because, of course. Stop your javkati.

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

Ederon
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 2:29:38 PM
 Field Major

Anders wrote:
Because, of course. Stop your javkati.

I admit that's bullet-proof argument Tongue Big Grin
Gen.Schuermann
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 4:07:39 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Forum Supporter Medal 1st ClassOne Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 9000th Post

M&M wrote:
Correction, schuerman lost to me, I was playing the SU before the surrender Tongue.

Wooooooooh wait a second. Just because i didnt trigger BP after less than a year because some dumbass occupied Paris that automatically makes me lose in the east?

Tongue

About ym favorite generals: To be honest, i dont know them good enough, nor did i even study them. I could go for ingame generals then. Besides Rommel. I like that dude. But maybe only because the barracks which are called after are only 20km away from me, and i will most likely spend my obligatory draft there with the x-th Panzerdivision. But then again almost all Panzer dudes rock.

So ingame top 5 generals, in no particular order:

Rommel,
Manstein,
Okamura (although he is said to be one bastard of a commander, commiting war crimes etc.)
Yamashita
Yamamoto

In Soviet Russia, Schuermann defeats YOU!
sonofliberty
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 10:29:07 PM
Free Man

cueball wrote:
I was thinking of Tito too, though its hard to tell if he was a great general, or just a great politician. He was certainly the latter.
I cannot think of one battle tito won? He had only an estmated 86,000 "troops" if you can call them that. They were really partisan cells. He was an excellent politician and organizer though. But, general? or Marshal? I think not.

Anders
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:05:15 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

How about the offensive at Sutjeska? Or all the other Partisan offensives?

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

sonofliberty
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:37:32 PM
Free Man

Anders wrote:
How about the offensive at Sutjeska? Or all the other Partisan offensives?
Ah yes, they "succeeded" in losing only 33% of thier force. Such a "great" general. There was no great strategic skill demonstrated here. They were very lucky, and highly motivated. I grant them that. There was no "great" or "grand" strategic planning or skill demonstrated.

Anders
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:46:06 PM
 Generalfeldmarschall

Considering the disposition of the opposing forces, losing only a third of the forces was quite an accomplishment,

King of Men wrote:
Anders is correct.

Fivoin wrote:
Yeah, Anders is right.

baronbowden wrote:

sonofliberty
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:49:56 PM
Free Man

Anders wrote:
Considering the disposition of the opposing forces, losing only a third of the forces was quite an accomplishment,
Yes, very lucky.

Olorin
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:04:14 PM
 Unterfeldwebel

First post, hi gentlemen...

My top 5:

1. Von Manstein
2. Guderian
3. Rommel
4. Patton
5. Von Rundstedt

If this was a top 10, no other American or British general would have made it in mine.
hiensen
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:46:56 PM
 Generalleutnant

One Year Membership MedalTwo Year Membership MedalAuthor of 18000th Post

Gah they are too many :-(

1- Patton
2- Rommel
3- Model
4- Kesselring
5- Dowding
6- Steiner ( he was about to encircle the whole soviet army around Berlin) LOL joking

I do not mention other great commanders like Nimitz, Yamamoto, Guderian, Mannerheim or Manstein.. but the ones above are my favourites.
cueball
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:33:31 PM
 Tribunus laticlavius

Dowding... that is an interesting choice. Must admit he crossed my mind.

Sir Winston -- 1937
sonofliberty
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:01:01 PM
Free Man

cueball wrote:
Dowding... that is an interesting choice. Must admit he crossed my mind.
The uk airmarshal? His men did a great job in the battle of britain, no doubt. Perhaps one of the best air leaders in the war.